Are more sex offenders in Florida because of our clothing?

RiverRat

Patsy Ramsey to the Left
Reaction score
Here's one theory:

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/70029207.html

"Sexual predators are attracted to people who are sexually appealing and they're angled towards folks who are more scantily clad," says former Sheriff, Don Hunter.

Hunter, who now works for the local office of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says this is just one theory why Florida has more sex offenders than 32 other states.

He says Florida has better reporting laws than most ..

"We try to keep pace with sex offenders, know where they live, make sure they're registered," says Hunter. "If they don't they become and absconder we report that immediately."

One of the center's missions is uniform reporting across the country. But, should Floridians cut out bikinis and shorts? Hunter says absolutely not. :dance:

"It's the predator's fault," says Hunter. "They're the ones with the conduct issues, with behavioral control issues and can't control the temptation of their desire.":snake:

Florida has 281 registered sex offenders per 100 thousand people. Michigan has the highest amount with 472.

Well, I guess that negates the climate theory. My guess is the demographic concentration of non-college educated, blue collar groups concentrated in relatively densely populated areas, especially suburban areas.

IMO, that Sheriff is full of it. Sex offenders want power & control, and many are sadistic & only want to see fear & pain in the eyes of their vics.

I think it's a tacky thing to blame it on the vics.

That is an interesting article and theory. It did say Michigan had the highest with 472 SO's per 100 thousand people..

I guess the only way to tell would be to check out southern Cali where there are beaches and warm weather there and see how the sex offender level compares.
It would be a good comparison, as both Florida and Cali are states with high tourism levels.

There are so many missing children in Florida, it's scary. I think i read something somewhere that said over 1,000 were missing that were with DCF CPS alone; they should be in foster homes, etc. It makes you wonder where do they all go?

They should build designated communities for sex offenders to live. They would be required to live there among other sex offenders.
That way they aren't in neighborhoods with children.
Obviously they would put the high level ones there that would be at risk to reoffend, and not the guy caught taking a pee in an alley or the romeo juliet law types.

This is the equivalent of "she deserved it because her skirt was too short"

Well, I guess that negates the climate theory. My guess is the demographic concentration of non-college educated, blue collar groups concentrated in relatively densely populated areas, especially suburban areas.

So, are the majority of sex offenders non-college educated, blue collar people concentrated in relatively densely populated areas, especially suburban areas????

Interesting, but I don't believe it for a second.

In my opinion, sex offenders target those who are available to inflict their evil, selfish and depraved, misguided sense of entitlement.

The victim could be wearing a ball gown, a girl (or boy) scout uniform, jeans & sweatshirt, or even a potato sack.

It all has to do with what is going on inside the predator's head, not with what is outside on the victim's body.

Here's one theory:

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/70029207.html

"Sexual predators are attracted to people who are sexually appealing and they're angled towards folks who are more scantily clad," says former Sheriff, Don Hunter.

Hunter, who now works for the local office of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says this is just one theory why Florida has more sex offenders than 32 other states.
respectfully snipped

Funny, the article doesn't mention where there sheriff received his doctorate in criminal psychology...:rolleyes:

I'm sure he's well intentioned, but thinking like his isn't likely to help solve Florida's problems any time soon.

I don't believe this for a second and I live in Florida and am a sexual abuse and assault survivor. Its a narrow minded and simplistic "idea" to explain off a national (worldwide) issue... assaults on women.

IF this theory were true... how does it explain assaults on elderly women, who usually don't wear bikini's and short shorts... or assaults on children, who are usually well clothed. Or women who are abducted in parking lots at night after work, assaulted in their own home (where it wouldnt matter what you were wearing) etc. Or assaults in winter when you don't wear a bikini...

So, are the majority of sex offenders non-college educated, blue collar people concentrated in relatively densely populated areas, especially suburban areas????

Yes .

I would say sex offender in Florida and California have alot more to do with the transient nature of the demographic. Lots of jobs where they don't necessarily run background checks amd where predators can just blend in. MOO.

If you walk down the street stark naked, it is not your fault if you are molested or raped.

It's always, always, always the perp's fault, no matter how the victim conducts him/herself.

I would say sex offender in Florida and California have alot more to do with the transient nature of the demographic. Lots of jobs where they don't necessarily run background checks amd where predators can just blend in. MOO.

I agree these may be the reasons and also the nature of the warm weather.

Always
Gozgals

My experience in SE Florida for 2 1/2 years was that there were very few natives where I lived. In the "season" the population would swell with people from the north that moved down for the winter. Florida attacks all sorts of people, and if you didn't want to stand out as a "newcomer" and wanted to blend with a community, Florida offers just that sort of environment. Since so many people are from somewhere else, few people question why you are there. People dressed for the warmer weather, but they weren't underdressed and looked pretty much like people everywere else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back