Bailiff forgot about woman

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
... and FOUR DAYS later they found her. :bang: Glad she's o.k.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-forgotten-in-courthouse,0,6276927.story

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A bailiff is under an internal investigation after a woman spent four days forgotten in a holding cell without food, water or a toilet.

Bailiff Jarrod Hankins put Adriana Torres-Flores in the cell to await transport to jail Thursday and didn't let her out until Monday morning. No one on the fourth floor of the courthouse had heard her cries or her banging on the 2-inch-thick steel door of the 9 1/2-by-10 1/2-foot cell.

LOL ... I wish the story was that simple, she's an illegal alien and is facing deportation.

That's a whole 'nother issue. I don't quite understand how we have:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Yet, when we are given these people, we send them back. Seems like we should edit the Statue of Liberty, since it's clearly outdated.

Yet, when we are given these people, we send them back. Seems like we should edit the Statue of Liberty, since it's clearly outdated.

So true :clap:

Have you ever heard "Dirty Blvd" by Lou Reed? There's a line in there that I think would fit nicely. I won't post the lyrics here, but look it up and you'll get the line I mean.

Illegal or not, this woman was forgotten about for four days! That's awful treatment no matter what your alien status may be.

It's terrible what happened to her, but she's here illegally. This country is so screwed up, and something has to be done. I think they need to completely close the borders, and then process everyone who's here. My family immigrated to this country and became US citizens, however, they did not "sneak" in illegally.

It's terrible what happened to her, but she's here illegally. This country is so screwed up, and something has to be done. I think they need to completely close the borders, and then process everyone who's here. My family immigrated to this country and became US citizens, however, they did not "sneak" in illegally.

There are some issues that are just SO vast that I think they are ignored or simply band aided over because it's just so much work to fix. (This is just one of the many issues!)

Perhaps we should have more than one President. One for each issue to get things done. I want to be the one in charge of crime/punishment. I vote for you to be the one for immigration and FLMom can tackle exotic animal import issues.

There are some issues that are just SO vast that I think they are ignored or simply band aided over because it's just so much work to fix. (This is just one of the many issues!)

Perhaps we should have more than one President. One for each issue to get things done. I want to be the one in charge of crime/punishment. I vote for you to be the one for immigration and FLMom can tackle exotic animal import issues.

It's a vast problem because it's been ignored too long. It is a mess, that's for sure.

I don't think it's such a vast problem solely because it's been ignored for too long. No doubt, ignoring a problem doesn't make it any better, but I think are other factors that contribute here as well. I won't go too far in to it becuase I really don't want to have a debate on immigration. I will say that experiencing some things personally and hearing stories from other people makes me realize that the issue isn't black and white.

I agree... these people want to be here, then do so legally. If you're not here legally - you get sent back.

Love that Glitch and many seem to forgot that these people are human beings not animals. My husband's best friend called him the other day and told him his cousins's 3 year old died in a car accident. They live in California and her husband was here illegally. She was a citizen and so was her 3 year old son. Her husband was caught and deported. When they send them back they just drop them off with the clothes on their backs and nothing else. She was so worried about him she got in her car to take him clothes and money. She fell asleep and wrecked, her 3 year old flew out of the car in the dessert. Instead of helping her people robbed her. When her husband finally reached her they found their baby boy with no face. She is in a mental hospital back in Cali now and he is stuck in Mexico and there baby in the ground.

I don't think it's such a vast problem solely because it's been ignored for too long. No doubt, ignoring a problem doesn't make it any better, but I think are other factors that contribute here as well. I won't go too far in to it becuase I really don't want to have a debate on immigration. I will say that experiencing some things personally and hearing stories from other people makes me realize that the issue isn't black and white.

Exactly no black or white only a lot of gray. I hope this woman gets some compensation for what she has been through.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( So true, but still it makes me very sad. The days of idealism have nearly faded entirely it seems...

... and FOUR DAYS later they found her. :bang: Glad she's o.k.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-forgotten-in-courthouse,0,6276927.story

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A bailiff is under an internal investigation after a woman spent four days forgotten in a holding cell without food, water or a toilet.

Bailiff Jarrod Hankins put Adriana Torres-Flores in the cell to await transport to jail Thursday and didn't let her out until Monday morning. No one on the fourth floor of the courthouse had heard her cries or her banging on the 2-inch-thick steel door of the 9 1/2-by-10 1/2-foot cell.
OMGosh...how horrible!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There must be very few arrest in that town if no one saw her in the holding tank.

I wonder if the woman's family or employers checked on her at the jail or tried to get an attorney. Surely she wasn't in Arkansas totally alone. Maybe people who are here illegally should try to have some sort of back up plan just in case they are caught, get into trouble with the law, or sent back. At least someone to safely check on them and make sure where they are and contact organizations, family, or charities near the border where people are let out with nothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back