"Swatting" Will the SWAT team be coming to your home next?

dsntslp

Reaction score
More reason to be sure your internet connection is well protected.
=========================================

'Swatting' prank in Palm City feigns violence
By Will Greenlee
Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:32 p.m.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/may...ner=RSS&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

(Respectfully snipped)
"In both cases, the operator reported being in communication with people at the homes. Those at the home in the earliest incident supposedly were being held hostage by two men with ski masks and rifles. The men were said to be raping family members, demanding $500,000, a kilogram of cocaine and 14 pounds of "weed." They also were said to be "ransacking the home stealing everything."

An arriving deputy saw nothing suspicious and asked dispatchers to contact the resident. The homeowner appeared to have been waked up by the phone call and there looked to be no signs of a disturbance."

(snip)
"Sheriff's reports state the incidents appear to be "swatting," or a prank in which those experienced in computer hacking "will utilize hacked lines and Internet connections to initiate a SWAT response from law enforcement by reporting violent and heinous in-progress incidents."

(More at link)

This is absolutely sickening! Every year, more & more innocent families (and their pets - family dogs are the number one casualties of SWAT raids) are harmed in SWAT raids that get the wrong address/relied on bogus anonymous tips - and now we have to worry about pranksters adding to the problem?

This quote from the article has me:waitasec:

Sheriff's spokeswoman Rhonda Irons Monday said falsely reporting such incidents is against the law, though it likely would result in a misdemeanor charge.

Um, people die in these raids - wouldn't conspiracy to commit murder be a more appropriate charge? Seriously, it's no different to me than going out & trying to hire a hitman, except in this case the 'hitmen' are unknowing participants & thus victims of the crime as well.

I don't know, I'm probably overreacting here, but this really gets me hopping mad...

All JMO

So, wait, you can get 20 years for hacking your ex's e-mail, but if you hack his phone line and get SWAT sent to his home, it's only a misdemeanor? Something is screwy here.

This is absolutely sickening! Every year, more & more innocent families (and their pets - family dogs are the number one casualties of SWAT raids) are harmed in SWAT raids that get the wrong address/relied on bogus anonymous tips - and now we have to worry about pranksters adding to the problem?

This happened to a local family a few weeks ago and yes it made me furious. The first thing I thought of was how easily the family dog/s could be killed.

Of course common sense would say if the dogs are running out and barking at the swat team then there probably aren't any intruders in the house BUT things don't work that way and some cops love to open fire on barking dogs.

This happened to a local family a few weeks ago and yes it made me furious. The first thing I thought of was how easily the family dog/s could be killed.

Of course common sense would say if the dogs are running out and barking at the swat team then there probably aren't any intruders in the house BUT things don't work that way and some cops love to open fire on barking dogs.

First thing they would do is kill my baby Pogo. :cry: I mean it IS Pogis house these are invaders. Pogi would just be doing his job. And he'd be dead cuz they f'ed up. :cry:

You can jail break a cell phone and do this.

My son who is LE told me about this a few years ago. Learned this at the police acadamy. He actually played a trick on his then girl friend (now wife) and it didnt go over to well.

He called her cell phone (while she was at home) and everyone is asleep except the GF the phone number he used to show up on her cell phone was the GF house phone number and he starting breathing heavy on the phone when she answered. GF got so freaked she hung up phone ran to her Dad's room told him what was going on, Dad gets up with a gun going through house looking for someone and my son is calling her back trying to tell her what was going on. Needless to say GF Dad was not pleased.

My son also done it to me. I was sitting in living room watching TV and I knew he was in his room and my cell phone rings and it showed the house number. I knew no-one was on house phone cause I am looking at it also and it doesn't show the light lit up. So I called out to him and said why is my cell phone ringing showing the house phone number. After he laughed, he told me about the "new trick" he had learned at the acadamy. He then told me about the trick he play on the GF.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back