Abandoned honor student thrown in jail for truancy

BuzzieCat

Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-thrown-jail-missing-school-article-1.1085027

"A 17-year-old high school student working two jobs to support her siblings, while juggling college-level classes, spent 24 hours in jail this week for missing too much school, KHOU 11 News reported."

Article says her parents got divorced and ran off, so she is working one full time and one part time job while maintaining honor roll grades. I haven't been able to find more information on MSM so far, but supposedly her brother is in college (so why can't he help her by working also?) and her younger sister lives with relatives (so why aren't they helping with costs)? I don't get why this girl is shouldering it all, if that's really true.

Reading the article, I think she missed school by choice not necessity. The article stated that she worked two jobs to support her sister (but the sister lives with another family member) and her brother's university education(which means he is older so she does not have to support him) It also stated that the school had warned her about missing school. She lived with another family so I am not sure she HAD to work two jobs.

they have jail for truants? who knew? :waitasec:

so do they only throw the kids in who they think it will make a difference to? in other words, she has potential - let's try & scare her straight?

Here, they don't throw kids in jail for truancy. They throw parents in jail for truant kids.

Reading the article, I think she missed school by choice not necessity. The article stated that she worked two jobs to support her sister (but the sister lives with another family member) and her brother's university education(which means he is older so she does not have to support him) It also stated that the school had warned her about missing school. She lived with another family so I am not sure she HAD to work two jobs.

Maybe she was flat out tired. As an adult student on a second degree, I learned to never schedule classes early in the morning or stack them on a day I had to work. For every hour spent in a classroom there are hours spent in homework, studying and research. She is an honor student, that is the level I worked too, you don't just go home and close the books. I commend her for maintaining her grades.

Well, all this effort by LE to track and jail a person for having good grades, working two jobs, supporting her siblings, and working towards a better future...and nothing done to find the parents who abandoned these kids in the first place.

I commend this young lady for working, and going to school and maintaining honor roll grades despite exhaustion and obvious stress. If she is able to maintain the grades, and has a reasonable excuse for missing class (exhaustion is reasonable in this situation), then I think that both the judge and principal should be censured for throwing this girl in jail.

If they want to set an example to other truant kids, this was not the way to do it. Bah to the judge and principal.

(I want to know why this child and her siblings were abandoned, and no one did anything to help find the parents, or support the children...friends taking them in is admirable, indeed, but there are funds available. I'm wondering about the rest of the story).

Best-
Herding Cats

This girl deserves a medal, not jail. Sheesh! :furious:

That's really screwed up. Where are her parents?????????

As if they don't have anything better to do in the prison system...

I don't think this sort of thing should concern the court system at all except maybe when it comes to the parents.

Was it a school day when she was in jail?

Utterly absurd imo... (if I had posted this article I'd have put it in the bizarre news section...)

And to think that they let Misty Croslin drop out of school as a sixth grader :O

What kind of parents abandon their minor children and move away just because they got a divorce? Was the custody and support of their minor children not addressed in the divorce settlement? Why are they not financially supporting them? Working to help support herself, her younger sister and her older brother with his college expenses, should not be on her shoulders? Our court and educational systems are seriously screwed up!:banghead:

The bro was older so she wouldn't be responsible to support him, the younger sister was living with other relatives she she shouldn't have had to support her either. And the whole point is that she is their sibling, not their parents so she didn't have to support either of them. But she is trying to help. And while trying to help them she is also attending school and maintaining an honor roll status. And for that, they put her in jail. Heck, she could have just not helped at all. Or she could have dropped out of school completely. But no, she was trying to do it all.

Maybe she needs some counseling to help her understand that she doesn't have to do it all. And maybe they need to find those parents.... both of them and let them know just what a treasure they have and how they are failing her. Heck all the kids sound great. The older bro. staying in college at this time is pretty terrific IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back