TN TN - Dennis Martin, 6, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 14 June 1969

oh wow, hubby, little one, and I just back back from the Smokys 3 weeks ago....

this just breaks my heart --- sending hugs and prayers out to Dennis!

and to add on to this, (after looking at search pictures), we were at Cades Coves the very week Dennis went missing (42 years later) with our little then 6 year old (she turned 7 last week).... oh goodness, this just makes my stomach sick!

Thank you for featuring this heartbreaking case!

Satch

I think I lean towards him simply getting lost and wandering. That would include injury, though. Those woods sound kind of dangerous with the mentions of hidden pits/ditches I saw in some of the articles. Part of me feels like (unless it were a serious deathly sort of injury) even if injured, there were enough searchers that he might have been heard crying?? I noticed some comments said the scream the one person heard was likely an owl. If a man was then spotted, perhaps the man startled the owl? You'd think if this man had anything to do with Dennis, they'd have seen the boy with him.

I think the bones found were most likely him. What other reason could there be for child bones in the forest?? Unless there were another missing child in the area at some point, but you'd think it would have been mentioned if there was.

How frustrating that some of this stuff was never even investigated.

I think I lean towards him simply getting lost and wandering. That would include injury, though. Those woods sound kind of dangerous with the mentions of hidden pits/ditches I saw in some of the articles. Part of me feels like (unless it were a serious deathly sort of injury) even if injured, there were enough searchers that he might have been heard crying?? I noticed some comments said the scream the one person heard was likely an owl. If a man was then spotted, perhaps the man startled the owl? You'd think if this man had anything to do with Dennis, they'd have seen the boy with him.

I think the bones found were most likely him. What other reason could there be for child bones in the forest?? Unless there were another missing child in the area at some point, but you'd think it would have been mentioned if there was.

Hi Lucid,

Welcome! I think I agree with just about everything you said. Yes, also about your assessment of the skull bones. It is too bad that the person who found them did not initially report them A lot of the articles are running together and sometimes it is hard to keep them straight. If I remember the person did not report the finding of the skull bones to park authorities, because he had been involved with some other misdemeanor hunting offenses at the time. But one of the articles said in 1985, he told the lead park ranger who was assigned to the case about the "child skull." he found.

The ranger went back to investigate but nothing was found. The skull bones were found I think about three miles from where Dennis was last seen. Sadley, I think they might have been his remains. OMG, I've got goosebumps and chills just writing this because it is so emotionally sad and heartbreaking.

Lucid, do you think the shoe print that investigators found was Dennis'? The investigators did not go back to check that specific spot because they said it had already been checked. I think it might have been. I don't know how much of the rains would have washed the footprints away. But if I was on that investigation team, I would be examining that shoe print and the whole area with any other fragments from Dennis' clothes that could have been brought from the Martin home as evidence, or anything else for a possible match. And certainly that skull found should have been analyzed the same way.

I do think that the scream heard by the witness and the strange man he saw are not likely related to Dennis' disappearance, but the man still should have been questioned as to who he was, and what was he doing. I think the scream was probably an animal. The distance from the scream the witness heard and the man sighting does seem to be too far to be related to Dennis' disappearance. I believe the investigators were probably right on this assessment.

However, to not do more with that shoe print sighting or the skull bones found several years later, was just FLAT OUT WRONG!

Satch

I agree with this. I can't believe the person who found the bones could be so completely selfish as to not report it.

I would think if the man had told about finding the bones in the first place that probably nobody would have pressed charges if this ended up to solving this case. He should have hightailed it out of there straight to the police department. I'm sure it probably is illegal to get ginseng from land owned by a national park but that pales in comparison to the finding of this poor little boy and maybe putting an end to the torment of his family.

I have always thought Dennis just became lost and ended up passing away of exposure/dehydration or something like that. Maybe he was distracted by something when he went around the other way to scare his parents. He could have stepped into the woods to take a look at something then somehow got turned around and started going the wrong way. It seems very likely that the child's bones were his but we will probably never know now. The odds of a pedophile/kidnapper lurking nearby at the very time Dennis was playing seems a lot less likely than him just getting lost.

These Smoky Mountain disappearances (Trenny Gibson, Pauline Melton, Dennis Martin) are pet cases of mine because I live just a short distance from the area and usually visit several times a year. That is a very vast forest out there, easy for a small child to be lost in.

I would think if the man had told about finding the bones in the first place that probably nobody would have pressed charges if this ended up to solving this case. He should have hightailed it out of there straight to the police department. I'm sure it probably is illegal to get ginseng from land owned by a national park but that pales in comparison to the finding of this poor little boy and maybe putting an end to the torment of his family.

I have always thought Dennis just became lost and ended up passing away of exposure/dehydration or something like that. Maybe he was distracted by something when he went around the other way to scare his parents. He could have stepped into the woods to take a look at something then somehow got turned around and started going the wrong way. It seems very likely that the child's bones were his but we will probably never know now. The odds of a pedophile/kidnapper lurking nearby at the very time Dennis was playing seems a lot less likely than him just getting lost.

These Smoky Mountain disappearances (Trenny Gibson, Pauline Melton, Dennis Martin) are pet cases of mine because I live just a short distance from the area and usually visit several times a year. That is a very vast forest out there, easy for a small child to be lost in.

Good post, Dogperson!

What's your take on the shoe print that was found a few days after the search that resembled Dennis' shoes that he was last seen wearing? Investigators believed they were not likely to be his shoe prints because their had been a previous rainstorm before the prints were discovered, and they said that area had already been searched. But is it at all possible that the rain may not have washed away this print in question? Especially if this area was protected in some way? As I remember, the shoe prints the ranger said, resembled a track of "one shoe off and one shoe on." But he adds, "they stopped near a bush." and I do recall that a stream or river was nearby.

I believe if the weather had been more cooperative that the investigators might have been able to have said for sure what happened to him.

Satch

Are Dennis' parents still living? Any other information about relatives and family friends? I would suspect that they have declined interviews in later years, and understandably so. Because to live with that pain and horror of not knowing what happened to your lost child and what he may have gone through. I can't even comprehend that kind of devastation. It's too emotionally upsetting to put into words.

If any family members do speak, I think it is important for them to know that Dennis, no matter where he is, will NEVER be forgotten!

Satch

I'm not sure what to make of the shoe print. It could have belonged to Dennis. He might have lost the other shoe somehow. I think one of the articles stated there were so many searchers all over the place that some of the evidence could have been obliterated.
Such a shame that the man who found a skeleton waited so long to report it. If this was Dennis then his family would have had some remains to lay to rest and a gravesite to visit instead of never knowing.
I too agree that the weather conditions heavily contributed to erasing all traces and I think it possibly contributed to Dennis' death also.
I believe that after Trenny Lynn Gibson went missing in the Smokies there was terrible weather for several days afterward also. Things like that can erase a person's tracks quickly and perhaps interfere with the tracking dogs' ability to pick up a scent.

I'm not sure what to make of the shoe print. It could have belonged to Dennis. He might have lost the other shoe somehow. I think one of the articles stated there were so many searchers all over the place that some of the evidence could have been obliterated.
Such a shame that the man who found a skeleton waited so long to report it. If this was Dennis then his family would have had some remains to lay to rest and a gravesite to visit instead of never knowing.
I too agree that the weather conditions heavily contributed to erasing all traces and I think it possibly contributed to Dennis' death also.
I believe that after Trenny Lynn Gibson went missing in the Smokies there was terrible weather for several days afterward also. Things like that can erase a person's tracks quickly and perhaps interfere with the tracking dogs' ability to pick up a scent.

On the shoe print,

One of the newspaper articles also contained a video presentation with the ranger, and a summation that claimed that when the area was searched there were no children present. However, in most cases, unless the shoe print was protected by the elements of the rain, it would seem that it would have been washed away with any other evidence that could have clued to Dennis' disappearance and the paths he traveled.

That skeleton is the strongest painful and heartbreaking evidence for me, more than the shoe print. I agree with the other poster that unless there was documentation of another child or children getting lost and never being recovered in the Smokies, that those remains could have been Dennis'. I put the likelihood at about 60%. And the only reason that I don't go higher, is because we don't know the number of years or time element that those bones could be traced back. Do we know for sure that John Doe knows for sure that the remains resembled a small child? Or did John Doe just think that the bones looked like a small child and over the years, it was reported as such?

Had this evidence been turned over to the police and analyzed for DNA, it might have given this poor family some closure and peace so that they can finally sleep at night. And whoever told Dennis to go in a different direction in the first place from the other children who were planning to scare the adults? I don't know how you recover from that kind of sorrow and pain?

This case NEEDS TO BE SOLVED!

Satch

I read a book about this case called Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains. My theory is that the boy fell into growth below where they were hiking, and they just couldn't see him. He might have died immediately so he couldn't respond to the calls of the family.

When a bear attacked some small children in Cherokee National Forest, clothing and blood left a trail to follow straight to the bear. But it's not impossible that Dennis wandered off and was then attacked by a bear on some side trail or in the forest. I would never take small children out on a trail like that in March or April because that's when hungry bears come out of hibernation and there just isn't much food around.

So far,

A question about the river:

Wouldn't LE be forced to drain the river presuming that he did drown to find his body?

You can't drain a river in the Smoky Mountains. First of all, there are spring-fed creeks that rush down the mountain sides and into the rivers. They could dam the river, but they probably wouldn't be allowed to because of federal protection of endangered animals only found in that area. So it's not only impossible, it would be illegal.

Poor Trenny. What happened? How & why did she get separated from the group? Did she fall, slide down a hill, get disoriented, get knocked out, injured.. then die from exposure, get attacked by an animal... what? I often woner about these cases... does the family eventually just give up & move on? I understand that just because people may not have an active presence on the internet, doesn't mean they don't still care about their lost loved one. And I guess you have to close the door at some point and move forward, to mentally survive. And some family members are now older and may not be aware of how many people are online discussing their loved ones. But regardless.. I can't help but wonder, is anyone still looking for her, and so many like her....?

I am just going to speculate here,

But considering the weather reports and what we know about the case from the past, all the rain and fog, any indications of the temperatures. What do you believe is the most amount of time Dennis could have survived without injury? Just getting lost and wondering away? I won't venture a guess yet because I would be interested in knowing a time composite from other members.

The second point for consideration. It is assumed from the case reports that family members began searching within five minutes of of Dennis not returning. The story says that the adults knew that the children had snuck up on them before. This was Dennis' first overnight camping trip. But it sounds like he had been in the area before on previous family outings. Assuming that Dennis had some familiarity with the area, I am trying to think of how far he could have gone before he could not find his way back or no one could no longer find him?

How far could a little kid run or travel in five minutes to never be seen again? That's one of the things that is so haunting to me in my mind. Such a short time span to be missed by everyone through several months of searching afterwords.

Now, note that in studying these outcomes, this just assumes getting lost through natural causes without the issues of injury due to falling into a river, a canyon, or getting mauled by an animal. One of those outcomes could have happened in a short time. Even an abduction, but that seems like a stretch to me. Of course, if those skull bones were tragically Dennis' that rules out the abduction theory.

Another question for study might be, why does the family believe more in the abduction theory over anything else? I think tragically, the horror of the skull bones they might have have just rejected the thought of them being Dennis' remains. Maybe it is easier for the family to think abduction, because for them, it might be the only way to their glimmer of hope that Dennis might be alive and that he might someday escape and return to them.

Maybe that hope for the rest of their lives is better for them in coping than a tragic closure if that skull had been analyzed and turned out for the worse, that yes, it was this poor little boy.

I think it's so hard to try to differentiate that yes, you can't give up hope, but closure can be important too because it can bring peace to the pain. What do you all think about this?

Satch

I stumbled on to Dennis's story this morning and have been reading all day.
I am haunted to by how far could he have gotton in 3-5 mins.How far were the footprint and skull found from where he was last seen?I am trying to picture in my mind how he went into the brush and turned around to see his father.I don't think he would have let them out of his sight,unless he saw something and wander towards it and got lost
I have also read a lot of stories over the yrs about crazy people stalking the trails for people hiking alone..it is very possible someone saw this family and saw Dennis and stalked him.The Trail Side Killer comes to mind and there was other family camping and a little girl was kidnapped-I think I remember her name as Susie and the killer kept calling her mother-what a thing to do to a mother!
It would be wonderful if the family had some type of closure and could rest,but keeping Dennis in the news,even after all these yrs can still lead to a tip about what happened to him.I don't know what happened but I will keep Dennis and his family in my prayers.

I agree with everyone else that it would be extremely helpful to know where the foot print and the skeleton were in relation to where he was playing. Also, where were the adults in relation to the kids, and in what direction did he run to hide?
http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2009/jun/26/scenes-search-dennis-martin/12263/
This link posted by someone else earlier shows the area they were in. If he ran off to the left, he could have tripped and fallen down the big hill. If he hit his head and was knocked out, he couldn't call for help (or if he did, it's possible they wouldn't have heard him). I think it's quite possible for him to have just kept sliding or rolling down that hill until he was so hidden they never saw him. The following rain would have help to cover his body more or wash it further away.
By the time the searchers got near to where he had rolled to, he may have already been dead or unable to respond.

I agree with everyone else that it would be extremely helpful to know where the foot print and the skeleton were in relation to where he was playing. Also, where were the adults in relation to the kids, and in what direction did he run to hide?
http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2009/jun/26/scenes-search-dennis-martin/12263/
This link posted by someone else earlier shows the area they were in. If he ran off to the left, he could have tripped and fallen down the big hill. If he hit his head and was knocked out, he couldn't call for help (or if he did, it's possible they wouldn't have heard him). I think it's quite possible for him to have just kept sliding or rolling down that hill until he was so hidden they never saw him. The following rain would have help to cover his body more or wash it further away.
By the time the searchers got near to where he had rolled to, he may have already been dead or unable to respond.

Ranger McCarter said that the skull remains, according to one of the linked articles in the thread, were found about 3 to 3 and a half miles downhill from where Dennis was last seen and in the same direction as the shoe print, found "by the West Prong."

We would really need to try to find out the direction he went, and the hazards in the immediate area. One question inquired if Dennis may have turned around and saw his father. I have no recollection of that, so if anyone can expound on that, this would also help in studying the case!

The reports kind of mesh together over time, and because sadly so many years have passed, it is hard to keep the information straight. But it has been said that Dennis "disappeared behind a bush and was never seen again." But than, there is information that says that Dennis took off in another direction, alone. Did the adults or other children SEE him disappear behind the bush? Behind anything for that matter? Or was the view of everyone else abstracted from site? When the other children were playing, or the adults looking, did anyone look back to see the direction that Dennis was going? Again, if they did not, how do we know that he disappeared behind a bush, or thicket brush?

I was reading another article on the case, or maybe it might have been on a comment section on line somewhere, and one of the people familiar with the area was saying that because the thicket is so intense and extreme, you could have someone as little as 5 feet away, and not be found. A comparison was drawn that one time a small plane went down in the Smokies, and it took about A YEAR for them to find it. It might have been Ranger McCarter who cited this, not sure. However, he said, if it took a year to find an airplane, it could be almost impossible to find a lost child in that type of terrain. Any roaring rapids could drown out sounds of screaming, yelling, crying, or distress as little as ten feet away.

Do any of you have Google Earth installed on your computer? I don't. But maybe if you do, you might want to check Great Smokey Mountains National Park and narrow the searches down for the following where each event took place: Google Maps might help as well. Here are key places and events in this heartbreaking case:

Russell Field: This is where the whole family was the day/night before the tragedy. They hiked the next morning to Spence Field.

Spense Field: The site of the tragedy, where Dennis Martin vanished without a trace after splitting off from his brother, and the unrelated Martin family friends' children when planning to sneak up and scare the adults at the site. This was on June 14th, 1969. The time is estimated to be between 3-4:30 PM depending the account you read. Don't know how much the articles account for time zone changes. 4PM seems to be the most accepted time of the tragedy.

Sea Branch: (Rowan's Creek) The area where a witness heard a "sickening scream" on the afternoon that Dennis Martin vanished and saw an unkempt man about three minutes later moving in the woods toward the scream. The time frame he gives is about 7PM. The distance is about 7-9 miles from Spense Field. Researchers and investigators saw that was too far for Dennis to have traveled. McCarter said that the witness heard a child scream. Other reports just say it was a sickening scream. The FBI did not investigate this area because they believed it was too far. McCarver said "It is possible for a physically strong man to carry a small child between the two points." He believes more significantly, that "Dennis could have reached that area alone."

I don't know though. Carrying a kid for 7-9 miles. That seems almost impossible. Most investigators account for the investigators assessment that the distance was too far and the scream heard was an animal.

West Prong (Near Pigeon River): The area where the Oxford type shoe print similar to what Dennis was last seen wearing was found. Investigators did not examine the shoe print finding in detail because the area had already been searched. However, it is noted that there were no small children involved in the search. This print was found at least after one rain storm had already been in the area.

Tremont's Big Hollow (also try Tremont Big Hollow) The area where the skull bones of a small child were found a few years after Dennis went missing. The man knew McCarter, but did not report the skull until 1985, because he had been illegally hunting ginseng, and did not want to be prosecuted. Ranger McCarter and investigators searched in 1985, found nothing. It is believed that over the years, animals destroyed the remains. The area is 3-3 and a half miles away from where Dennis was last seen at Spense Field, and 9 miles away from where the scream and unkempt man were reported by the witness.

I do believe that an injury situation in the Dennis Martin case is very possible. He might have fallen into an underwater area, being whisked away too fast to call for help. Horrifyingly, he may have also fallen into an underground area and might have been either killed or so severely injured that the searches could not do anything because it was too late.

It seems like there were many areas underground or underwater that no matter how many searches and types of equipment they had, the rescue team may not have been able to penetrate those areas.

Satch

A small thought that hit me this weekend. When the adults first started searching for Dennis, he might have deliberately run and hid from them, thinking he was playing a funny joke on them. Then he actually did get lost and was so far away by then, they couldn't hear him. Night came and he he wandered even further away with the rain washing away his tracks.

guys I found some really good photos of Spence Field where Dennis was last seen,I think I read they were by the shelter and these photos show just how dense it can get.I am still trying to figure how to post them,I am not good at doing it,but I will try and try today until I get it..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back