GUILTY VA - Yeardley Love, 22, UVA student, beaten to death, Charlottesville, May 2010 *civil trial 2022*

Hook legal analyst David Heilberg pronounced himself unsurprised by the verdict which he said seemed to match the evidence.

"That's pretty consistent with what I expected," says Heilberg. "You have to look at circumstantial evidence. Breaking down the door and leaving her helpless until she died wouldn't be a manslaughter."

So why not first degree? "It just doesn't appear that they proved a specific intent to kill her," answers Heilberg. "It's just a harder burden."

As for the burglarly acquittal, Heilberg notes that the frustrated Huguely– who had been vexed in some romantic attempts during the preceding day– probably didn't arrive at Love's apartment with computer-stealing on his mind.

Heilberg adds that an intent to kill does not need to be present in order to gain a second-degree murder conviction. Instead, the intent the prosecution had to show was simply a the presence of "malice," which can be shown as a desire to maim, disable, disfigure, or kill.

They got that.

http://www.readthehook.com/102897/h...es-sentencing-after-2nd-degree-murder-verdict

NBC29 Huguely Trial @NBC29Huguely

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

#Huguely jury recommends 25 years in prison for the 2nd degree murder charge and 1 year for the grand larceny charge.
More than I thought they would give him, but he deserved 40 years.

I think this is an appropriate verdict. I don't believe this was premeditated first degree murder either. I think he was drunk and jealous and didn't plan to murder her. So I think second degree murder is appropriate.

Jurors recommended Huguely receive 25 years in prison for the second-degree murder conviction and one year on the grand-larceny conviction, NBC News reported. They could have recommended up to 60 years total. The judge must still decide whether to agree with the jury recommendation or reduce it but cannot issue a sentence longer than the recommendation.

wow , so the judge can't add more years? weird.

More than I thought they would give him, but he deserved 40 years.
I think 30 for second degree and 5 for grand larceny would have been great, but again this is probably a compromise. I bet some jurors wanted 30 or 40 years but some also wanted 15 or 20. Twenty five, twenty six including the larceny, is solid and he'll serve 85% of that in VA.

I hear talk about drugs all the time,cocaine,meth,crack and heroin.Alcohol can ruin lives,just as bad.Even worse because its legal and to some people it is like a poison that makes them mean and unpredictable.Colleges need to get a handle on this problem.
I think it can be done with drug tests and limitations.Plenty of college kids have died from alcohol poisoning.Something definitely needs to change.JMO

Am I understanding correctly that he must serve atleast 85% of his sentence before even becoming eligible to be looked at for parole/early release?? Is that correct?? I guess I'm confused because upthread I read that Virginia does not even have the option for parole?
tia to anyone who can dummy it down for me:D

Am I understanding correctly that he must serve atleast 85% of his sentence before even becoming eligible to be looked at for parole/early release?? Is that correct?? I guess I'm confused because upthread I read that Virginia does not even have the option for parole?
tia to anyone who can dummy it down for me:D

SO, this is what I found online about Virginia when the parole question was asked:

Parole is no longer in effect if you were convicted after 1995. If someone was convicted before then and still in prison than they go by the old rules and have to go by the parole guidelines. If convicted after 1995, then the inmate has to serve at least 85% of their time. That means that as long as they stay out of trouble, go to classes, and does whatever DOC requires of them they can have good time deducted from their sentences. Which works out to be while in the DOC 4.5 days per 30 days served.

So as long as the inmate follows good behavior they are automatically released after serving the 85% instead of just being eligible as it was with parole... that now gone the prisoner automatically is released at the 85% mark(of course with no infractions incurred while incarcerated)...

So as long as the inmate follows good behavior they are automatically released after serving the 85% instead of just being eligible as it was with parole... that now gone the prisoner automatically is released at the 85% mark(of course with no infractions incurred while incarcerated)...

That's the way I read it. Huguely will spend no less than 22 years in prison unless the judge reduces the sentence in April, or he could spend longer if while in prison he does something to extend his sentence beyond the 85%.

roughly the kind of sentence I expected, has any juror spoken about deliberations or the case yet

I'm disappointed in the sentence. GH5 should have received more time. What an insult to Love's family and friends. Once again, we see a man with a history of violence get a slap on the wrist for taking "his" woman's life.

I hate the whole "crimes of passion" meme, it treats women as property and excuses murder by throwing a warped definition of "love" into the mix. People who love you, don't beat you to death. People who view you as a possession do. But then this is Virginia, home of the state-mandated object rape bill so I guess I should be glad they didn't just go ahead and acquit him.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/23/justice/virginia-student-trial/index.html

Jury recommends 26 years in prison for former Virginia lacrosse player
From Michael Christian, InSession
updated 3:59 AM EST, Thu February 23, 2012

Charlottesville, Virginia (CNN) -- A judge is considering a jury recommendation that a former University of Virginia lacrosse player be sentenced up to 26 years in prison for his role in the death of his ex-girlfriend.

A jury returned the recommendation late Wednesday, hours after finding George Huguely V guilty of second-degree murder and grand larceny in the May 2010 death of Yeardley Love.

The case captured national attention with a spotlight shown on the volatile relationship of star athletes Huguely and 22-year-old Love, who both played lacrosse for the university's nationally-ranked teams.

Judge Edward Hogshire is expected to sentence 24-year-old Huguely on April 16, at which time he can accept or reduce the jury's recommendation....

If he gets anything less than the full 26 years I'll be :furious:

Something (among others) that bothers me is that in the article it says a little girl relative of Huguely's was crying hysterically when the verdict was read and saying "That's too much"...Is she brainwashed? Too young to realize that he took someone's LIFE?

I was hoping for a different verdict and a longer sentence, but maybe the jury really didn't feel there was premeditation, and if they gave him first degree murder, the judge would have cut the sentence down even lower than what was eventually given. I don't understand the jury ignoring the break-in and robbery, though. I think he deserves DP.

Something (among others) that bothers me is that in the article it says a little girl relative of Huguely's was crying hysterically when the verdict was read and saying "That's too much"...Is she brainwashed? Too young to realize that he took someone's LIFE?

I was hoping for a different verdict and a longer sentence, but maybe the jury really didn't feel there was premeditation, and if they gave him first degree murder, the judge would have cut the sentence down even lower than what was eventually given. I don't understand the jury ignoring the break-in and robbery, though. I think he deserves DP.

My question is why would you bring what is described as a little girl to such a trial? It's not something a little kid should be exposed to imo.

My question is why would you bring what is described as a little girl to such a trial? It's not something a little kid should be exposed to imo.

JMO, a ploy to try to invoke sympathy from the jury, no other reason.

I agree Columbo, and you know what else really bothered me? I mean REEEEAAAALLLLY bothered me? That statement by Huguely's attorney, talking about how George was "fighting for fairness" and how "spiritual" he is. How he is proud to have represented George and how they're looking forward to some "corrections", implying the sentence was unjust.

GAG ME!! :sick:

What's fair about a 6', 200-plus lb young man beating a beautiful young girl to death? A young girl who had done nothing to deserve that sort of rage and cruelty? I'm struggling to see how one could describe George Huguely V as remotely spiritual, unless you mean he is fond of spirits. :needdrink:

Yes, Mr. Lawrence, I wish we could make some corrections, too. Namely your client getting the maximum sentence, that is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back