AL - Gilbert Collar, 18, fatally shot by campus police, Mobile, 5 Oct 2012

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L4_UNEWS

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Classmates and friends are questioning why a police officer fatally shot a University of South Alabama freshman who was naked and had been banging on a window at police headquarters.

Campus officials didn't give any indication that Gil Collar, 18, of Wetumpka had a weapon when he was shot. A university spokesman said he was fatally wounded about 1:30 a.m. Saturday after an officer heard a bang on a window and went outside to investigate.

A statement issued by university spokesman Keith Ayers said Collar, who wrestled at Wetumpka High School before enrolling at South Alabama, assumed a "fighting stance" and chased an officer before being shot........

But sophomore Tyler Kendrick said campus authorities haven't provided any satisfying answers about why Collar was killed.

"Really, it just upsets me that there's no other way to apprehend an unarmed student rather than shooting him. I don't understand that," Kendrick said.........

LSD? Acid? Bath Salts? Psychotic break?

Gonna have to wait for the tox screen. Although some drugs don't even show up on the tox screen.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-08-13-59-46

Witnesses say a University of South Alabama student was screaming obscenities and talking about being on a "spiritual quest" shortly before campus police fatally shot him.

From your article, it certainly seems this was very out of character for Collar. I'm glad to see they will have a review of the officer's actions. Since Collar went to the BayFest that day, maybe he took or was slipped a drug(s) while there. So sad to loose a young man who seemed to be going in the right direction.

I don't doubt it might be out of character. But considering the substances out there that can cause such behavior, that really doesn't tell me anything.
And the fact that he went to some music festival prior to this.
Once the tox screen comes back, perhaps the answers will come too.

Just saw that...thanks for the link....quotes:

Collar went to a music festival and took the drug before assaulting two people in vehicles and attempting to bite a woman's arm, Cochran said.........

Video taken by a surveillance camera showed Collar nude and covered in sweat as he pursued the retreating officer more than 50 feet outside the building, Cochran said. Collar got within 5 feet of Austin and the officer fired once, striking the student in the chest, Cochran said.

Investigators are trying to determine who provided Collar with LSD and could charge that person with murder, Cochran said................

Cochran said he had "serious concerns" about the killing of an unarmed student when he first heard what had happened, but he better understood the officer's decision to open fire after watching the videotape of the shooting.

"It's very powerful," said Cochran.

Cochran said authorities will allow Collar's family and media representatives to view the recording later, but it will not be released publicly.

I just read the article on WKRG's website and came here to make sure someone posted. This is such a tragedy either way. Saddens me for all involved. Not sure my opinion is even necessary.

BBM.....all opinions are welcome...agree it's a tragedy, he seemed like a nice young man before...if this was the first time he took such a powerful drug it might have affected him greatly...doesn't seem to be a history of drugs here...I feel so sorry for his mom and friends....

I think it's safe to say that the "LSD" he took had been quite possibly cut with adulterants which cause far more disturbing behaviors - of an aggressive nature - than lysergic acid diethylamide.

[/B]

BBM.....all opinions are welcome...agree it's a tragedy, he seemed like a nice young man before...if this was the first time he took such a powerful drug it might have affected him greatly...doesn't seem to be a history of drugs here...I feel so sorry for him mom and friends....

I feel sorry for his mom and friends also. It could have very well been his first time to use drugs. From reading the articles, he seemed like such a "good kid". I know lots of people have experimented with drugs but this is such a prime example of why we have to teach our kids how dangerous it truly can be. There are so many people (from reading the comments on the articles) that are ready to crucify this police officer. My heart breaks for him also. Of course it would have been nice if he could have used another method to apprehend the guy, but I'm sure things happened so fast, and I'm sure nobody wishes things could have turned out differently more than the police officer. (excluding Gill's mother of course). Just heart breaking!! I just don't know how I would feel if this had been my child. I had a feeling from the beginning we were going to hear there were drugs involved.
I talked to my husband about this case last night and I found myself on both sides of the coin. One minute I was defending Gill and the next minute I was defending the officer. KWIM?

Not surprised for a second. He might have been a perfectly fine, upstanding young man when there was nothing in his system.
His behavior of taking clothes off and behaving strangely was consistent with being high on some kind of a drug.
He might have been naked but he also was a wrestler. I wouldn't feel like wrestling with a naked drugged up person.

I feel sorry for his mom and friends also. It could have very well been his first time to use drugs. From reading the articles, he seemed like such a "good kid". I know lots of people have experimented with drugs but this is such a prime example of why we have to teach our kids how dangerous it truly can be. There are so many people (from reading the comments on the articles) that are ready to crucify this police officer. My heart breaks for him also. Of course it would have been nice if he could have used another method to apprehend the guy, but I'm sure things happened so fast, and I'm sure nobody wishes things could have turned out differently more than the police officer. (excluding Gill's mother of course). Just heart breaking!! I just don't know how I would feel if this had been my child. I had a feeling from the beginning we were going to hear there were drugs involved.
I talked to my husband about this case last night and I found myself on both sides of the coin. One minute I was defending Gill and the next minute I was defending the officer. KWIM?

Good post!

There were questions about what the officer did but the article above said he didn't have a baton or tazer and indicates that Collar really pursued him violently, which seems plausible from his actions before (assaulting and trying to bite people). I was wondering why the officer didn't just return to the police station or call for backup but it seems he didn't have time/a chance to do that...I know, I've been on both sides also....will be very interested in what the review of the officer finds out and what the autopsy shows...

Good post!

There were questions about what the officer did but the article above said he didn't have a baton or tazer and indicates that Collar really pursued him violently, which seems plausible from his actions before (assaulting and trying to bite people). I was wondering why the officer didn't just return to the police station or call for backup but it seems he didn't have time/a chance to do that...I know, I've been on both sides also....will be very interested in what the review of the officer finds out and what the autopsy shows...

Police don't have the luxury of hiding unlike us private citizens. What if while policeman was asking for back up and hiding in a police station the student went after someone else? Then people would be screaming the policeman was a coward and asking for his head. Being naked and un-armed doesn't make someone harmless. Remember the guy who ripped the face off the homeless man? Not armed and naked, yet caused so much damage the homeless man is now blind.

I feel sorry for his parents, the two people he assaulted in vehicles, the woman who's arm he attempted to bite, certainly for the officer, and also for this man. Big mistake that cost him his life. But its his mistake.

Thank goodness for security cameras. I was never a fan of big brother knowing everything, but I think every public inch of our United States should be covered by them. This video shows exactly what occurred and why the officer was compelled to fire. Without it - it could have been seen to many another situation, and this officer would have nothing but his word.

I feel sorry for his friends and family, as well. After all, they were not the ones who took drugs and yet they are still suffering.

It's really simple. Don't do drugs. Not even once. Don't experiment. Don't hang out with people who do drugs. Don't hang out at places were drugs are known to be. Your chances of being shot while naked and on drugs drop drastically if you follow the simple instructions above. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not likely.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Police don't have the luxury of hiding unlike us private citizens. What if while policeman was asking for back up and hiding in a police station the student went after someone else? Then people would be screaming the policeman was a coward and asking for his head. Being naked and un-armed doesn't make someone harmless. Remember the guy who ripped the face off the homeless man? Not armed and naked, yet caused so much damage the homeless man is now blind.

jjenny, I think it's safe to say that Reader and I both agree with this point also. I think the video will show a crazed young man, out of control!! It's very sad for all involved. I tend to support LE a lot more than I disagree with them. I have a great working relationship with most of our LE in my community and I am thankful for the job they do. They put their lives on the line every single day they go to work and are seriously underpaid.

This updated article states the officer did call for back-up before he came out, and some more details:

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ion=3&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L3_UNEWS&page=1

...........Cochran said Austin came out of police headquarters with his gun drawn after he heard Collar — a 5-foot-7, 135-pound former high school wrestler — banging on a door. While campus police typically carry pepper spray and a baton, Cochran said Austin was armed only with a gun during the confrontation.

An attorney for Collar's family questioned why the officer wasn't able to use nonfatal means to subdue him.

"Obviously something caused him to act in manner that was somewhat unusual. It still does not justify shooting him down unless there is something we totally missed," said former Lt. Gov. Jere Beasley, who's representing the family..............

"Had the officer had a Taser or some other less lethal instrument I don't know if that officer would have had an opportunity to shoulder his pistol and to use something else because the events were evolving so rapidly and he was approaching so close," Cochran said...........

Mobile County District Ashley Rich said a grand jury would decide whether to charge the officer in the shooting, although it wasn't clear when. She said allegations of drug use also could wind up before a grand jury if investigators identify the supplier.

The clinical director of a drug rehabilitation provider said authorities' description of Collar's actions didn't match the typical behavior of someone who has taken LSD............

University of South Alabama student Gil Collar seen in video before fatal shooting by campus police

The two-minute security footage shows the 18-year-old college freshman naked and with his arms outstretched outside the campus police station. An attorney for Collar’s family says the video shows the teen’s actions didn’t justify the shooting.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...atal-shooting-article-1.1181371#ixzz295inHt3j

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back