TX TX - The Texarkana Phantom, 1946

One of the greatest cold cases ever. I met a guy from that area recently and we a nice chat about the case.

I did see the movie. While critics may knock it, it had one of the better actors in Ben Johnson as an investigator on the case and it gave some idea as to what took place back then. This matter was also throughly detailed in a detective magazine in the early 1980's. That the killings and assaults remain unsolved give it all the more interest.

I have read that True Detective, or one of the sort, covered the crime during or shortly after its occurrence.

A really interesting case, the original version of the 'Zodiac killer'(minus the letter writing),and the case made for a great movie too, THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN

Different type than Zodiac, signature aspect is completely different.

MO is dynamic and will change, over time, or depending on circumstance

Is there anywhere that gives details of the sexual assault on the victims?

Most likely

White Male,
Age 27-35
Criminal History would most likely include crimes, like theft, robbery, burglary (including fetish burglary), some violence like assault, possibly voyeurism.
Married, or living with someone at the time, significant other would most likely have suspicions, or even full blown knowledge about the individuals actions.
Most likely some form of unskilled labor if employed, could also be unemployed at the time of the killings.
Would've most likely been interviewed by the police.
Would follow the crimes, in the media
Some form of precipitating stress prior to the 1st attack
May've kept "trophies" from some or all his victims, most likely did.
Possibly suffered from some form of sexual dysfunction, id expect to see some form of simulated sexual assault possibly with masturbation following
Mother the dominant , and an overbearing figure in his life growing up
Like many displays both Psycho, and Sociopathic traits
Motive was sexual, (unlike Zodiac where power was the determining factor) .

Crimes most likely stopped because he was incarcerated for another crime, or he died.

If he was incarcerated though once released would most likely start in a similar fashion elsewhere, in terms of signature, though the MO would most likely change.

Not so sure the last crime attributed to the "Phantom" shooting up a house, was related though.

Different type than Zodiac, signature aspect is completely different.

MO is dynamic and will change, over time, or depending on circumstance

Is there anywhere that gives details of the sexual assault on the victims?

The similarity to Zodiac was, the attack of lone couples at night on secluded lover's lanes, as well as the use of a hood in his crimes. He did not sexually assault any women(if memory serves). I know that the act of murder, was the sexual pleasure, if I remember one of the profiles correctly.

The similarity to Zodiac was, the attack of lone couples at night on secluded lover's lanes, as well as the use of a hood in his crimes. He did not sexually assault any women(if memory serves). I know that the act of murder, was the sexual pleasure, if I remember one of the profiles correctly.

Its always possible, but the hood, etc.. is MO, which can and does change, its a crime scene dynamic.

Signature is a static aspect, (IE the WHY its occurring) , that doesn't change

We studied ALOT of serial cases, especially as Zodiac is one of the more popular cases, too, IMO though the MO is somewhat similar, signature aspects of the crimes, just seem too different.

Its like "I'm god" vs. "You're my slave" type idea

No new info re my talk with the guy, but the Phantom raped the first victim with the gun and i think raped the other girls that died.
Didn't the last surviving victim, the woman in the farmhouse say she saw the outline of a hooded figure via her window?

No new info re my talk with the guy, but the Phantom raped the first victim with the gun and i think raped the other girls that died.
Didn't the last surviving victim, the woman in the farmhouse say she saw the outline of a hooded figure via her window?

That still doesn't mean its the same individual, there could be any one of a million reasons for the shooter wearing a hood, if who she saw was even the shooter.

Using that MO , could be one of them especially while these crimes are going on.

Sexual dysfunction also doesn't cancel out rape, it does however explain some of the actions taken by the offender.

Substitute, actions, such as penetrating the victim with the gun, is subjective of certain sexual dysfunctions.

Its also possible he raped the ones he did rape post mortem

I believe the woman in the last attack just saw the shadow of the man through a window so she couldn't really tell if he was wearing a hood or not.

He wore a hood in the first attack by accounts although the detective magazine illustration only shows him wearing a bandana.

In the two other attacks, we don't know if he wore a hood or not because no one survived to tell us.

I believe the woman in the last attack just saw the shadow of the man through a window so she couldn't really tell if he was wearing a hood or not.

He wore a hood in the first attack by accounts although the detective magazine illustration only shows him wearing a bandana.

In the two other attacks, we don't know if he wore a hood or not because no one survived to tell us.

Right, its quite possible after the description of a man in a hood, was put out, he got rid of the hood , and used something else .

So we go then on the signature aspect, and physical evidence.

I still don't think (though I could be wrong) the last attack was related.

I don't think they need a remake, just a reissue of the original. That was one scary movie, especially if you live by a cornfield!

Lol, as if a cornfield needs anything elso to make it scary.

1920 Federal Census, Cleveland County, AR

Swinney, Stanly age 32 Cleveland County, Arkansas, Redland location b.AR AR AR
wife, Myrtle age 32 b. GA GA GA
son, Youll age 2 b. AR AR GA
older siblings listed

1930 Census Coryell County, TX

Youell Swinney, age 13 b. AR was incarcerated at the Texas State Training School for Juveniles in Coryell County in Gainesville, TX.

1930 & 1940 Census, Bowie County, TX location, in or nearby Texarkana
were two separate listings for Swinney, likely a father and son, both b. AR.
May or may not be related to Youell, possibly cousins if there's even a connection.

H.B. 'Doodie' Tennison seems to be more credible as a suspect with time.

http://www.texaspsychiatry.com/DidDoodieDoIt.htm

I must say, I find his suicide bizarre: the notes, the riddle, cyanide etc. He seems to have been an aimless youth, given to daydreaming and fantasy. It is odd that he confesses then apparently recants elsewhere.

I doubt he is the killer, he would have been just 16, but why commit suicide?

Edit: and why cyanide? I guess this method is more common with women..perhaps he had no access to a gun or it just wasn't his manner.

Actually my second line should have ended - a bandana and a hat.

I have heard that Hollis and Larey were both married but not to each other and Larey's husband was looked at as a possible perpetrator in the first attack but had a very good alibi and was cleared. I believe all the victims who survived are all now deceased.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back