Arrest Warrant For Roy Clark Released 2009.11.13

Again, you're treating an arrest warrant as prosecutable evidence. You seem to ask a lot of tedious questions most of which will be answered when the seven affidavits are released on 12/01/09. These affidavits will contain much deeper investigative techniques and analysis of evidence then a 12 page arrest warrant (again, which only needs to show suspicion, proximity and probable cause). There will also be what is hinted at over 2,000 pages of documented admissible evidence when this case goes to trial.

While I admire those who have the time and energy to take your posts to task. I am reduced to very quickly skimming them... I apologize for that but within the week much more information will be made available that will render most of your conjecture and questions irrelevant.

Mornin' Sloof! Just wanted to say thanks. You haven't let me down with a single one of your posts. I suspect you are correct! Nothing like cuttin' to the chase, huh?

What's your take on an additional person? Do you personally feel it's not plausible? I probably need to let it go, huh?

Hi Jersey*Girl and Sloof! I'm sorry but this Shlock Homes keeps raising issues that are not only tedious but entirely beside the point and filled with suppositions that lead nowhere! If you point out to him that there is blood and DNA on clothing, he says it is not stated whose clothing it is. Well, whose clothing could it be? Maybe it belongs to the president of Yale? Where was he when this happened? I think you guys also need to let go of the 'someone else was involved' issue! Raymond Clark was very familiar with this building and did in fact act alone and in the time frame given by LE. His 'sloppiness' is not an indication that he didn't do it, or that someone else did, as Shlock Homes suggests, but that he was overwhelmed by tension and nerves and kept making mistakes. Every single thing he did after the murder points to his guilt, including his almost immediate request for a lawyer and the fact that he has not yet entered a plea, which tells me his lawyers are trying to work out a deal with prosecutors, not that he is innocent!

Hi Jersey*Girl and Sloof! I'm sorry but this Shlock Homes keeps raising issues that are not only tedious but entirely beside the point and filled with suppositions that lead nowhere! If you point out to him that there is blood and DNA on clothing, he says it is not stated whose clothing it is. Well, whose clothing could it be? Maybe it belongs to the president of Yale? Where was he when this happened? I think you guys also need to let go of the 'someone else was involved' issue! Raymond Clark was very familiar with this building and did in fact act alone and in the time frame given by LE. His 'sloppiness' is not an indication that he didn't do it, or that someone else did, as Shlock Homes suggests, but that he was overwhelmed by tension and nerves and kept making mistakes. Every single thing he did after the murder points to his guilt, including his almost immediate request for a lawyer and the fact that he has not yet entered a plea, which tells me his lawyers are trying to work out a deal with prosecutors, not that he is innocent!

Totally agree.

Respectfully snipped to save size. Good morning, Chanler!

I thought I read that this washroom was shared as coed...am I mistaken? Does anyone know? I thought it was set up like this due to Yale being so proud of this building b/c not only is it cutting edge research & technology, but it's completely Green...built completely Green using Green materials from the ground up. The drainage & water systems have their own filtering & recycling set in place. I read they utilize rainwater, etc. Again, anyone know, b/c I thought something about this wash area was utilized in going Green?

Hi, Jersey*Girl; I' don't remember any specific reference to the room being gender specific or shared, but I know that "green" buildings do often have shared facilities. Yale has shared facilities at other locations.

In fact, there is no reference in the affivadit to a bathroom, much less a woman's bathroom. Mention is made of a locker room and a toilet.

I work in a ten-story, block-long corporate office in NYC that has been repeatedly and extensively renovated over several decades. All of the toilets in the basement are coed.

My architect friend tells me that removable chases to piping units are environmentally-friendly and can also be money-saving.

Hi, Jersey*Girl; I' don't remember any specific reference to the room being gender specific or shared, but I know that "green" buildings do often have shared facilities. Yale has shared facilities at other locations.

In fact, there is no reference in the affivadit to a bathroom, much less a woman's bathroom. Mention is made of a locker room and a toilet.

I work in a ten-story, block-long corporate office in NYC that has been repeatedly and extensively renovated over several decades. All of the toilets in the basement are coed.

My architect friend tells me that removable chases to piping units is environmentally-friendly and can also be money-saving.

Right...BTW, when I refer to the locker room as a bathroom, it's b/c of a toilet being in there. It's been said that it's also a washroom, so my mind automatically goes to the YMCA I used to frequent as a young child. The locker room had showers, sinks, toilets, & lockers (of course). I agree with you, also think it's a coed "room". :) Had to hurry & check to see if anyone responded. I may not be on for a few days - going to the beach for Thanksgiving.

Wishing everyone a beautiful Thanksgiving holiday. :hug:

Right...BTW, when I refer to the locker room as a bathroom, it's b/c of a toilet being in there. It's been said that it's also a washroom, so my mind automatically goes to the YMCA I used to frequent as a young child. The locker room had showers, sinks, toilets, & lockers (of course). I agree with you, also think it's a coed "room". :) Had to hurry & check to see if anyone responded. I may not be on for a few days - going to the beach for Thanksgiving.

Wishing everyone a beautiful Thanksgiving holiday. :hug:

Have a great holiday!

I notice one article described the location as "a utility closet of sorts"!

I don't mind if you don't want to debate the points, that's fine. I have taken the time to address points raised by people who make arguments that Ray is guilty. I do hope you are right and the remaining affidavits will be more detailed, and will give more proof to either side of the argument of Ray's guilt. As it stands now, I don't feel that the information in the affidavit is damning enough, and I'm taking the time to point out where one could argue this in Ray's defense. The fact of the matter is, no one saw anything, no one heard anything, card swipes aren't indicators of guilt (as I've pointed out from the beginning), and not all of the clothing found with blood indicated they belonged to Ray, even though they did positively ID his DNA on the sock. There is an unknown male DNA on the lab coat, indicating that someone else most likely was involved.

Hi, Shlock Homes. I'll concentrate on the bold faced remarks:
"no one saw anything, no one heard anything": On the contrary, trained officers from the three police agencies present saw Clark do things and heard him say things that brought him into suspicion. To many of us and certainly to those present on the scene, those actions and statements are compelling. The Yale officer wasn't possibly entrapping him as you suggested in an earlier post; she was following standard police procedure; preventing the theft or contamination of a piece of evidence until a law officer arrives to bag and secure the evidence. (At last report, the Yale police are not empowered to prosecute homicide cases.) In NYC, police routinely freeze a possible crime scene until the homicide and forensic teams arrive. Even you suggested that Clark might be lying in his statement about seeing Annie Le between 12:30-12:45.

"card swipes are not indicators of guilt". They can certainly indicate guilt if we have access to those card swipe records and those who made them.

"not all of the clothing found with blood indicated they belonged to Ray, even though they did positively ID his DNA on the sock" Even the O.J. defense could have said the equivalent of this. Nor do you mention the pen which Clark would carry as habitually as he carried his scan card.

"There is an unknown male DNA on the lab coat, indicating that someone else most likely was involved." And then, after dismissing all the physical evidence and ignoring all the testimony, you take a presumptous leap into the unknown. Can we somehow imagine that unlike the phantoms in the case, accused killer Clark would observe a code of honor not to appropriate others' possessions?

What's your take on an additional person? Do you personally feel it's not plausible? I probably need to let it go, huh?

my take is that the prosecution is operating using all the evidence obtained thus far. all ~we~ know is what has been leaked to the media and most of what the arrest warrant contained save for three statements that the presiding SC judge ordered redacted because, if published, they would present difficulty in Clark receiving a fair trial ("prejudicial to the defendant")

that is all WE know. we can speculate on thread after thread about whether each board poster has ever seen a chase in a bathroom before or whether lab mice take summer vacations with the undergraduate students in some vain debate whether this proves Clark's innocence or guilt.

i guess i'll see y'all on 12/1... thanks for reading.

Thanks for linking the warrant and the diagram. Unfortunately, whoever the Hartford Courant got it from didn't include the other alleged crime scene/location of evidence on the diagram, which was room G33, as indicated in the warrant.

This information doesn't convince me of Ray's guilt. In fact, it makes me even more suspicious of the official story.

Clark's DNA was found on a sock that was found in that ceiling tile, but also in the hole where Annie Le's body was found??!!! That right there smacks of a frame-up. Why would a killer go to great lengths to conceal a body, but then toss two pieces of evidence (the sock and the pen) with his DNA into the same place as the body? Sorry, but that doesn't add up.

Even more interesting, they talk about other people entering the room AFTER Annie's last swipe. What does that mean? Contrary to what the media has been telling us, Ray Clark was not the only person to be in G13.

Also, they tried to indicate in the warrant that Ray Clark had suspicious scratches on his arm and face. We've been discussing and debating the validity of Ray Clark's statement about his cats causing the scratches, and the different ways Annie Le could have been protecting herself or fighting back. Well, the fact that she still had gloves on shoots down that theory. She couldn't have scratched him through those latex gloves.

They say that Ray Clark stopped using his green pen around 1:30pm. But then around 3:48 he signs with a black pen. But they also indicated that the fire alarm cleared the building some time after 1:30pm. That would have been enough time for someone to snatch Ray's pen, if he left it lying around. Also, clearing the building would have been the perfect cover for moving the body from one room to another.

The amount of blood they indicate in various places, including on the panel in the chase, seems to indicate that her body was mutilated in some way that caused quite a bit of blood to be released. Unfortunately, they've redacted a lot of that information on the warrant, so we can't see for sure what condition her body was in.

They have been able to find her blood evidence on clothing that ties to Ray Clark. The only problem is, his clothing was readily available in the lab. Anyone could have just picked it up and put blood on it. His movements weren't any more suspicious. They indicate a doubling or tripling of his scanning into rooms versus an earlier date. They don't say anything about whether those dates they compared the scans were typical school days, or if the real lab work started after Labor Day hence his increased activity. And the fact he moved a box of wipes around is not suspicious. If he was meticulous, and noticed one of the items was put out of place that he normally had it in a particular way, you'd expect him to have moved it back to where it belonged. The investigator didn't indicate if the Wipe Alls was normally kept where Ray 'hid it'. There doesn't appear to be any hiding going on at all.

I'm not sure what more needs to be said about the evidence. The 55 card swipes may sound unusual when taken out of context, but was it really that strange if it was a day when the intensive lab work started? The warrant also doesn't indicate what other people were swiping into the other areas that had blood, nor does it indicate if other people were swiping into G13 after 10:40am. They only say that he was the only one swiping in G22, but they don't say why he shouldn't have been in there or what was in there.

At this point, I'm still not convinced that Clark did it. And if he did, he didn't act alone. I also think the alarm trigger was probably intentional to remove witnesses from the area.
Sherlock: You are always very impressive . :)

Ummm, wow! I just read the link in the media docs thread that Angel Who Cares posted. Incredible. Clark's goose is cooked!

Ummm, wow! I just read the link in the media docs thread that Angel Who Cares posted. Incredible. Clark's goose is cooked!

Hi, Jersey Girl, it certainly doesn't help his case. Of course, the results of all those blood tests are critical. That there were "emails" [plural] to Annie Le also suggests that his preoccupation with her mouse crimes wasn't about a single incident.

May I request that we start a new thread for the Search Warrants as we are no longer discussing the Arrest Warrant?

Regarding the washroom set up, looking at the diagram earlier in this thread, you can clearly see the washroom and it's door, plus a smaller stall with a door, and within that was where the body was located (behind a toilet). In the same diagram, there appears to be a room with the exact same design, but in mirror image, adjacent to the washroom where the body was found. From my experience, unisex washrooms don't have stalls. In other words, they are just one person at a time, with one toilet, one sink, and no stalls. They also have locks.

Hi, Shlock Homes. I'll concentrate on the bold faced remarks:
"no one saw anything, no one heard anything": On the contrary, trained officers from the three police agencies present saw Clark do things and heard him say things that brought him into suspicion. To many of us and certainly to those present on the scene, those actions and statements are compelling. The Yale officer wasn't possibly entrapping him as you suggested in an earlier post; she was following standard police procedure; preventing the theft or contamination of a piece of evidence until a law officer arrives to bag and secure the evidence. (At last report, the Yale police are not empowered to prosecute homicide cases.) In NYC, police routinely freeze a possible crime scene until the homicide and forensic teams arrive. Even you suggested that Clark might be lying in his statement about seeing Annie Le between 12:30-12:45.

When I said no one saw anything, I meant the crime itself, the blood around the time the crime was committed, or moving of the body.

If the police were keeping items for evidence, then why not seal the room? Clearly people were allowed to come and go from G13. If they had given specific directions to the staff and researchers not to touch anything, I think Clark's actions could be viewed as suspicious.

"card swipes are not indicators of guilt". They can certainly indicate guilt if we have access to those card swipe records and those who made them.

People can enter rooms without swiping, as long as someone else swipes. People can use other people's cards because there isn't a password required. And you don't need to scan to get out of a room. So card swipes give a rough indicator of who may have entered a room, but they cannot prove someone entered a room, nor can they prove they were there a particular length of time.

"not all of the clothing found with blood indicated they belonged to Ray, even though they did positively ID his DNA on the sock" Even the O.J. defense could have said the equivalent of this. Nor do you mention the pen which Clark would carry as habitually as he carried his scan card.

The pen could have been picked up anywhere. We know that Ray used a pen. We don't know if he left it somewhere, or if he was meticulous about keeping it on his person at all times. If that is the case, then when did he 'toss it' into the chase? While he was disposing of the body? Well, his pen was still on his person as of 1:30pm. The police think Annie was killed around the time Ray entered G13, about 3 hours earlier. Where did he hide a body during all that time? How come there was wet blood on a body 3 hrs dead (which would be in rigor mortis), and that blood transferred into parts of the chase and access panel?

"There is an unknown male DNA on the lab coat, indicating that someone else most likely was involved." And then, after dismissing all the physical evidence and ignoring all the testimony, you take a presumptous leap into the unknown. Can we somehow imagine that unlike the phantoms in the case, accused killer Clark would observe a code of honor not to appropriate others' possessions?[/QUOTE]

It's possible that Clark could have used someone else's coat, you're right. But we've been told this was a crime of passion or it was spontaneous. So all that blood, from the initial attack, would have been on a coat Ray was wearing. How would he change lab coats mid-crime?

Regarding the washroom set up, looking at the diagram earlier in this thread, you can clearly see the washroom and it's door, plus a smaller stall with a door, and within that was where the body was located (behind a toilet). In the same diagram, there appears to be a room with the exact same design, but in mirror image, adjacent to the washroom where the body was found. From my experience, unisex washrooms don't have stalls. In other words, they are just one person at a time, with one toilet, one sink, and no stalls. They also have locks.

When I said no one saw anything, I meant the crime itself, the blood around the time the crime was committed, or moving of the body.

If the police were keeping items for evidence, then why not seal the room? Clearly people were allowed to come and go from G13. If they had given specific directions to the staff and researchers not to touch anything, I think Clark's actions could be viewed as suspicious.

People can enter rooms without swiping, as long as someone else swipes. People can use other people's cards because there isn't a password required. And you don't need to scan to get out of a room. So card swipes give a rough indicator of who may have entered a room, but they cannot prove someone entered a room, nor can they prove they were there a particular length of time.

The pen could have been picked up anywhere. We know that Ray used a pen. We don't know if he left it somewhere, or if he was meticulous about keeping it on his person at all times. If that is the case, then when did he 'toss it' into the chase? While he was disposing of the body? Well, his pen was still on his person as of 1:30pm. The police think Annie was killed around the time Ray entered G13, about 3 hours earlier. Where did he hide a body during all that time? How come there was wet blood on a body 3 hrs dead (which would be in rigor mortis), and that blood transferred into parts of the chase and access panel?

"There is an unknown male DNA on the lab coat, indicating that someone else most likely was involved." And then, after dismissing all the physical evidence and ignoring all the testimony, you take a presumptous leap into the unknown. Can we somehow imagine that unlike the phantoms in the case, accused killer Clark would observe a code of honor not to appropriate others' possessions?

It's possible that Clark could have used someone else's coat, you're right. But we've been told this was a crime of passion or it was spontaneous. So all that blood, from the initial attack, would have been on a coat Ray was wearing. How would he change lab coats mid-crime?[/quote]

Hi, Shlock Homes. Thanks for your detailed post.
1. Nowhere is the location described as a men or women's bathroom. The diagram is not an architectural rendering; it is a sketch. In any case, some one searching for a place to stash a body would possess some urgency to find a suitable place.
2. Thousands of murder convictions are obtained without eyewitnesses to the immediate crime.
3. The evidence was being guarded. Clark's actions were viewed as being suspicious. He didn't just touch the evidence; he tried to conceal his actions, according to a trained police officer. He was asked to leave the room. He returned several times thereafter.
4. Card swipes do gather cumulative importance. If some one is swiped in, there is a witness. If some one leaves a room, the departure can often be verified by card swipes into other rooms, floors, or by video records of their leaving. Even Clark himself reportedly told police that he was the last person to see Annie Le leave.
5. Where did Raymond hide the body? In G22, which he alone entered on the day of the crime. That Raymond had the pen on him habitually is indicated by his repeated use for the sign-ins required for techs. (I checked the sign-in cards for our building clean-up crew and many of them signed with the same writing utensil repeatedly.)
6. Humans, like virtually every other species, return to their hiding places. The prospect of life imprisonment would certainly motivate one to return to the chase to readjust the body and cover it with insulation material to mask the odor. It is certainly possible that he dropped his pen while performing such tasks. Rigor mortis occurs gradually and not at an exact rate. Nor would a few hours make it even difficult to move a small body. Full rigor mortis usually occurs around the 12 hour mark. Similarly, blood can continue to be wet from cumulative gravitational seepage, contact with clothes, or substantial wounds.
7. Apparently, Ray changed clothes several times. He not only had to commit a crime; he had to clean up hastily; carry the body more than once; hide bloody evidence; and not look like a crime scene himself. Clark has been associated with several pieces of lab clothing; it seems highly unlikely that they were all his personal property. That a lab coat was used or touched by another person does not seem unusual. Indeed, since it was, I believe, found in a cleaning hamper, it's possible that it was touched by somebody else after it was discarded.

One of the search warrants addresses the question directly:

"On September 13th, 2009. Investigators inspected the men's bathroom locker room located on lower level floor at 10 Amistad which led to the discovery of a lifeless female body, later positively identified as Annie Le by the Medical Examiners' office, within a mechanical chase directly behind the toilet."

Another search warrant dated ten days later calls for the first search of the women's bathroom locker room.

It's possible that Clark could have used someone else's coat, you're right. But we've been told this was a crime of passion or it was spontaneous. So all that blood, from the initial attack, would have been on a coat Ray was wearing. How would he change lab coats mid-crime?
Hi, Shlock Homes. Thanks for your detailed post.
1. Nowhere is the location described as a men or women's bathroom. The diagram is not an architectural rendering; it is a sketch. In any case, some one searching for a place to stash a body would possess some urgency to find a suitable place.
Thank you for the article below that describes which locker room area her body was located. I'm still baffled with the diagram showing two separate washrooms. Perhaps the Courant messed up the diagram, and labelled the location of the body incorrectly?

2. Thousands of murder convictions are obtained without eyewitnesses to the immediate crime.
True, but some have probably turned out to be wrongful as well. And there are many other factors, including whether the defendant was able to afford a competent lawyer.

3. The evidence was being guarded. Clark's actions were viewed as being suspicious. He didn't just touch the evidence; he tried to conceal his actions, according to a trained police officer. He was asked to leave the room. He returned several times thereafter.
The evidence was being watched over, but again, nothing was mentioned saying that staff at the lab were told not to touch anything. At that point, they were dealing with a missing persons investigation, not a murder. I think if Ray had thought Annie was dead, he wouldn't have touched anything.
He was asked to leave the room at that moment when the FBI arrived. Did they bar him from re-entering the room? Nothing was indicated to say they told him not to enter it again.

4. Card swipes do gather cumulative importance. If some one is swiped in, there is a witness. If some one leaves a room, the departure can often be verified by card swipes into other rooms, floors, or by video records of their leaving. Even Clark himself reportedly told police that he was the last person to see Annie Le leave.

Not every room required a card swipe, and not every room required each person to scan in if two were entering at the same time. If they had revolving doors, that would be different. One person could scan and 5 other people could be let in at the same time, no one would know there were 6 people in a room. Clark said he was the last person to see Annie leave G-13. But he didn't see her walk out of the basement lab area. She could have been lured to another area of the lab, and someone else would have scanned her in, we just don't know. They haven't said if there are more video cameras located within that lab area. Only at the entrance to the building.

5. Where did Raymond hide the body? In G22, which he alone entered on the day of the crime. That Raymond had the pen on him habitually is indicated by his repeated use for the sign-ins required for techs. (I checked the sign-in cards for our building clean-up crew and many of them signed with the same writing utensil repeatedly.)
They didn't say he was the only one entering G22 that day, just that he was the only one soon after he had entered G13 and around the suspected time of the murder. They haven't given a window for when they think she was killed, but I'm guessing they assume it was before 11am. So that would mean they'd ignore scans into G22 after 1pm, for example. But if she was murdered after 12:45pm, when Clark saw her leaving, that would mean they could be ignoring other suspects who used the room. For instance, if Ray left at 4pm (according to the new affidavit) is there evidence other people entered G22 after 4pm that afternoon/evening?

6. Humans, like virtually every other species, return to their hiding places. The prospect of life imprisonment would certainly motivate one to return to the chase to readjust the body and cover it with insulation material to mask the odor. It is certainly possible that he dropped his pen while performing such tasks. Rigor mortis occurs gradually and not at an exact rate. Nor would a few hours make it even difficult to move a small body. Full rigor mortis usually occurs around the 12 hour mark. Similarly, blood can continue to be wet from cumulative gravitational seepage, contact with clothes, or substantial wounds.
It's possible, but highly unlikely that he would have dropped a pen. Was he leaning into the chase? If it was as small as it was, then his extended arms would have been sufficient. There would have been no need to lean into the chase, resulting in his pen being dropped. The affidavit doesn't state whether Clark questioned staff and researchers as to the whereabouts of his pen, nor do they mention if he left it on a desk, or always kept it in his pocket (pant? scrub?) until the end of the day.
7. Apparently, Ray changed clothes several times. He not only had to commit a crime; he had to clean up hastily; carry the body more than once; hide bloody evidence; and not look like a crime scene himself. Clark has been associated with several pieces of lab clothing; it seems highly unlikely that they were all his personal property. That a lab coat was used or touched by another person does not seem unusual. Indeed, since it was, I believe, found in a cleaning hamper, it's possible that it was touched by somebody else after it was discarded.

As far as I can tell, he only changed twice, once when he entered the lab, changing from his outside clothes into scrubs, and then at the end of the day back into his outside clothes. He wore scrubs all the times in between when he was seen leaving for a break and for the alarm.
We don't know much about the lab coats. I don't think people shared them. It's not clear if Clark kept his lab coat in his locker, or just hung it in the lab. Personally, I think all the staff and the researchers would have kept their lab coats under lock and key. Since the scrubs were disposable (i.e. worn for the day, then put for cleaning, just like in a hospital), those were stuck in laundry bags, according to the new affidavits. The lab coats were not discarded into the same dirty laundry bags at the end of the day.

Hi, Shlock, I apologize for my haste and sloppiness:

"The evidence was being watched over, but again, nothing was mentioned saying that staff at the lab were told not to touch anything. At that point, they were dealing with a missing persons investigation, not a murder. I think if Ray had thought Annie was dead, he wouldn't have touched anything. He was asked to leave the room at that moment when the FBI arrived. Did they bar him from re-entering the room? Nothing was indicated to say they told him not to enter it again."
He was asked to leave the room because of his suspicious actions. When he returned, he performed inappropriate actions that also drew suspicion.

"Clark said he was the last person to see Annie leave G-13. But he didn't see her walk out of the basement lab area. She could have been lured to another area of the lab, and someone else would have scanned her in, we just don't know. They haven't said if there are more video cameras located within that lab area. Only at the entrance to the building."
We do have good reason to suspect that Annie was attacked in G13. And if somebody scanned in Annie back into the room after Clark left the room again, we have a very limited number of suspects, all of whom the police have cleared.

"They didn't say he was the only one entering G22 that day, just that he was the only one soon after he had entered G13 and around the suspected time of the murder. They haven't given a window for when they think she was killed, but I'm guessing they assume it was before 11am. So that would mean they'd ignore scans into G22 after 1pm, for example. But if she was murdered after 12:45pm, when Clark saw her leaving, that would mean they could be ignoring other suspects who used the room. For instance, if Ray left at 4pm (according to the new affidavit) is there evidence other people entered G22 after 4pm that afternoon/evening?"
The police did say that Clark was the only person entering G22 that day after the arrival in the building of Le. It's in the arrest warrant and I quoted a few pages back: "“Furthermore, Clark’s key-card is the only card used to access G22 after the victim swiped into the Amistad building on September 8th.” Unless you're maintaining that the Clark swiped the killer into G22, you're on pretty puzzling ground.

"It's possible, but highly unlikely that he would have dropped a pen. Was he leaning into the chase? If it was as small as it was, then his extended arms would have been sufficient. There would have been no need to lean into the chase, resulting in his pen being dropped. The affidavit doesn't state whether Clark questioned staff and researchers as to the whereabouts of his pen, nor do they mention if he left it on a desk, or always kept it in his pocket (pant? scrub?) until the end of the day."
I've never adjusted a body in a cramped space with plumbing impediments but I doubt seriously that it's as simple as you're presenting it.

"As far as I can tell, he only changed twice, once when he entered the lab, changing from his outside clothes into scrubs, and then at the end of the day back into his outside clothes. He wore scrubs all the times in between when he was seen leaving for a break and for the alarm.
We don't know much about the lab coats. I don't think people shared them. It's not clear if Clark kept his lab coat in his locker, or just hung it in the lab. Personally, I think all the staff and the researchers would have kept their lab coats under lock and key. Since the scrubs were disposable (i.e. worn for the day, then put for cleaning, just like in a hospital), those were stuck in laundry bags, according to the new affidavits. The lab coats were not discarded into the same dirty laundry bags at the end of the day." [/quote]
During the day, He left the building twice with different scrubs, in addition to the different street clothes, coming and going. Apparently, some of the street clothes he left in are now missing.

The arrest warrant gives us two alibis by Raymond Clark. Version 1 was the story he told Officer Jennifer Garcia. Version 2 is the story he told during his September 10th FBI interview. This is the timeline. In bold face are the times recorded by police records:

7:00 a.m. Version B: The approximate time RC arrives. [7:08]
10:30 a.m. Version B: Clark sees Annie Le, apparently in G13 [10:40]
11:04 a.m. Clark reenters G13.
11:50 a.m. Clark makes his next scan into another room. [G22?]
12:00 noon. Version B: Clark leaves for lunch.
12:30 p.m. Version B: Clark returns from lunch.
12:30 p.m. Version A: Annie Le "left the building" 15 minutes before RC.
12:30-12:45 p.m. Version B: Annie Le leaves the room.
12:45 p.m. Version A: Clark leaves the building.
1:30 p.m. Clark uses green pen for last time.
1:00-1:30 p.m. Version B: The fire alarm goes off. [1:55 p.m.]
3:48 p.m. Clark signs in with black pen. First sign in since 1:30.

It's difficult to remember times exactly; most of us can remember the sequence of events more accurately. In Clark's case, his two accounts, delivered almost certainly within a day of each other, link Annie Le's departure to one arrival and one departure by himself. Which is more accurate? Did he really take a break only fifteen minutes after he returned from lunch? Apparently, we will have to wait until the trial to learn which, if either, is more accurate.

Hi, Shlock, I apologize for my haste and sloppiness:

"The evidence was being watched over, but again, nothing was mentioned saying that staff at the lab were told not to touch anything. At that point, they were dealing with a missing persons investigation, not a murder. I think if Ray had thought Annie was dead, he wouldn't have touched anything. He was asked to leave the room at that moment when the FBI arrived. Did they bar him from re-entering the room? Nothing was indicated to say they told him not to enter it again."
He was asked to leave the room because of his suspicious actions. When he returned, he performed inappropriate actions that also drew suspicion.
But we have to give Ray the benefit of the doubt that his actions were not out of line with what he was doing or the instructions given to him on what to touch or what not to touch. If he was a PhD researcher doing that, it would probably be more suspicious than an Animal Tech employed by Yale to keep that room running smoothly. Whether he regularly did cleaning on the sink area has not be told to us. Out of context, and with the suspicion of him being Annie's killer, it looks bad. But if the warrant went into such details about his work habits, then that would take the wind out of sails of the investigators. Unfortunately for him, he has to take the costly route of defending his work behavior in a court of law.

"Clark said he was the last person to see Annie leave G-13. But he didn't see her walk out of the basement lab area. She could have been lured to another area of the lab, and someone else would have scanned her in, we just don't know. They haven't said if there are more video cameras located within that lab area. Only at the entrance to the building."
We do have good reason to suspect that Annie was attacked in G13. And if somebody scanned in Annie back into the room after Clark left the room again, we have a very limited number of suspects, all of whom the police have cleared.

Clark was the last person to admit to having seen Annie. He was the one person who was there almost all the time, except during the fire alarm. So he naturally became the prime suspect. If the killer was one of the PhDs or another lab worker, and they never admitted to seeing Annie, then naturally, it would look worse for Ray. That's the problem with murder investigations, when you take ownership of being the last person to see a victim alive, you become prime suspect when the police don't have any evidence to go after someone else. That's what leads to wrongful conviction, faulty deductions. If no one else admitted to seeing Annie after 12:30pm, even though she very well may have been alive, then Ray automatically becomes the target of the investigation. It's not even clear fully when Annie was killed or when the killer had the opportunity to move her body from room to room, and hide evidence in drains and ceiling tiles.

"They didn't say he was the only one entering G22 that day, just that he was the only one soon after he had entered G13 and around the suspected time of the murder. They haven't given a window for when they think she was killed, but I'm guessing they assume it was before 11am. So that would mean they'd ignore scans into G22 after 1pm, for example. But if she was murdered after 12:45pm, when Clark saw her leaving, that would mean they could be ignoring other suspects who used the room. For instance, if Ray left at 4pm (according to the new affidavit) is there evidence other people entered G22 after 4pm that afternoon/evening?"
The police did say that Clark was the only person entering G22 that day after the arrival in the building of Le. It's in the arrest warrant and I quoted a few pages back: "“Furthermore, Clark’s key-card is the only card used to access G22 after the victim swiped into the Amistad building on September 8th.” Unless you're maintaining that the Clark swiped the killer into G22, you're on pretty puzzling ground.

The semantics of how the warrant is worded can be interpreted in your way, and it can be interpreted the way I see it. Putting September 8th at the end of that sentence may be poor English, but I don't take it to mean he was the only person to scan in that room the entire day. If that was a supply closet for the various rooms in that lab, then other Animal Techs or Lab Techs probably scanned in and out of there too. But my interpretation of how they say it is that he's the only one recorded scanning into G22 around the supposed time of her death (sometime after he scanned into G13).

"It's possible, but highly unlikely that he would have dropped a pen. Was he leaning into the chase? If it was as small as it was, then his extended arms would have been sufficient. There would have been no need to lean into the chase, resulting in his pen being dropped. The affidavit doesn't state whether Clark questioned staff and researchers as to the whereabouts of his pen, nor do they mention if he left it on a desk, or always kept it in his pocket (pant? scrub?) until the end of the day."
I've never adjusted a body in a cramped space with plumbing impediments but I doubt seriously that it's as simple as you're presenting it.

I think the space was described as being about 2 feet wide? Since it's located behind a toilet, then I'd image it would be an opening higher than waist level on the average size man, but the opening would not extend to far above the top of the toilet stall, or all the way to the ceiling, so standing on top of the toilet seat to maneuver anything or anyone into the chase would not be to one's advantage. Plus, you'd risk having your foot slip into the toilet. The killer probably straddled the back of the toilet, keeping both feet on the ground. So the pen could not have fallen out of a pant pocket, it's possible it could have fallen out of a shirt pocket, but I think that would have happened in the initial struggle with Annie.
The warrant doesn't state if Ray asked around that afternoon if anyone had seen his missing green pen. I hope that comes up during the trial. If he really was concerned about his green pen being in the chase, then he would have found another green pen as a replacement.

"As far as I can tell, he only changed twice, once when he entered the lab, changing from his outside clothes into scrubs, and then at the end of the day back into his outside clothes. He wore scrubs all the times in between when he was seen leaving for a break and for the alarm.
We don't know much about the lab coats. I don't think people shared them. It's not clear if Clark kept his lab coat in his locker, or just hung it in the lab. Personally, I think all the staff and the researchers would have kept their lab coats under lock and key. Since the scrubs were disposable (i.e. worn for the day, then put for cleaning, just like in a hospital), those were stuck in laundry bags, according to the new affidavits. The lab coats were not discarded into the same dirty laundry bags at the end of the day."
During the day, He left the building twice with different scrubs, in addition to the different street clothes, coming and going. Apparently, some of the street clothes he left in are now missing.[/QUOTE]

The police claimed they looked in the Amistad building for the jacket he was seen wearing into the building September 8th, but not seen with when exiting that afternoon. They never talk about how he could have taken it home. I don't see why his street clothes would be missing, if he committed the murder in his scrubs and lab coat. If he was going to hide his street clothes or dispose of them where the police couldn't find them, then why not use the same approach with the scrubs or glove or other evidence he left lying around with blood?

The arrest warrant gives us two alibis by Raymond Clark. Version 1 was the story he told Officer Jennifer Garcia. Version 2 is the story he told during his September 10th FBI interview. This is the timeline. In bold face are the times recorded by police records:

7:00 a.m. Version B: The approximate time RC arrives. [7:08]
10:30 a.m. Version B: Clark sees Annie Le, apparently in G13 [10:40]
11:04 a.m. Clark reenters G13.
11:50 a.m. Clark makes his next scan into another room. [G22?]
12:00 noon. Version B: Clark leaves for lunch.
12:30 p.m. Version B: Clark returns from lunch.
12:30 p.m. Version A: Annie Le "left the building" 15 minutes before RC.
12:30-12:45 p.m. Version B: Annie Le leaves the room.
12:45 p.m. Version A: Clark leaves the building.
1:30 p.m. Clark uses green pen for last time.
1:00-1:30 p.m. Version B: The fire alarm goes off. [1:55 p.m.]
3:48 p.m. Clark signs in with black pen. First sign in since 1:30.

It's difficult to remember times exactly; most of us can remember the sequence of events more accurately. In Clark's case, his two accounts, delivered almost certainly within a day of each other, link Annie Le's departure to one arrival and one departure by himself. Which is more accurate? Did he really take a break only fifteen minutes after he returned from lunch? Apparently, we will have to wait until the trial to learn which, if either, is more accurate.

Thanks for the time line. I don't really see any inconsistencies with Ray's statement. Maybe he assumed Annie left the building when the fire alarm went off, since everyone else supposedly exited Amistad.

I think the time frame for the alarm is a little odd. They reported in various news media, including the Yale one, that it occurred at 12:40pm, but for some reason, the warrant states it occurred almost at 2pm. That's a significant difference. Was there multiple alarms? If the alarm occurred close to 12:40pm, it would explain when Annie could have been killed, and her body hidden, but then it throws a curve ball with the police theory about the green pen, because that would mean it was put into the chase after the body was placed in there. I hope the trial clears up the time of the fire alarm. I think that's a significant event in this case, even though the police have down played it. It would be interesting to know if other people were scanning into G13 or G22 during the alarm?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back