NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

• Total voters
78.57% for some form of program death penalty at the moment.

Not necessarily. Some have shown widespread problems.

Really? Which ones? I don't mean to sound sarcastic; I am curious as to what you mean.

Thinking through recent NCAA sanctions--in football as that's the only college sport I follow much--I come up with:

Ohio State
USC
Oklahoma
Miami maybe? I haven't paid much attention to that.

I can't recall widespread problems (which I am defining as university-wide, not just athletic-department wide) in these instances, or within the surrounding community.

Really? Which ones? I don't mean to sound sarcastic; I am curious as to what you mean.

SMU, obviously. It actually dealt with payoffs. In terms of what the administrators and board did, it was much more blatant that the current Penn State situation. Penn State's crime was inaction, failure to report. SMU's crime, with the participation of the president and board, actually involved a slush fund.

I can't recall widespread problems (which I am defining as university-wide, not just athletic-department wide) in these instances, or within the surrounding community.

The NCAA should not be involved in college wide problems, beyond sports. Where they intersect with sports, and to the extent that they do, it should punish.

As opposed to kicking Penn State out of the Big Ten, can they prohibit live television or prevent the school from getting any revenue from it?

NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

The NCAA will announce "corrective and punitive measures" for Penn State on Monday morning, it said in a statement Sunday. Emmert will reveal the sanctions at 9 a.m. ET in Indianapolis at the organization's headquarters along with Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee and Oregon State's president, the news release said.

(snip)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/ncaa-reveal-penn-state-sanctions-monday

If sanctions are happening this soon, then they were probably agreed upon by the university. The PSU administration probably believes the upcoming criminal trials will do nothing to exonerate the previous adminstration.

JMO

I'm hearing no death penalty and I hope I'm wrong.

I'm pretty much football naive, so forgive me for a stupid question. Can the NCAA throw PSU out of the "big 10" and if so, what would that mean to the team, exactly?

As someone who witnessed the NCAA "death penalty" first hand (my alma mater Southern Methodist--1987) I can tell you that it is TOO HIGH a price to pay.

Once ranked nationally, SMU has NEVER recovered. I believe it contributed to the demise of the Southwest Conference, too.

No school should have NCAA death penalty, esp. for non-football violations.

Just my 0.02c!

As someone who witnessed the NCAA "death penalty" first hand (my alma mater Southern Methodist--1987) I can tell you that it is TOO HIGH a price to pay.

Once ranked nationally, SMU has NEVER recovered. I believe it contributed to the demise of the Southwest Conference, too.

No school should have NCAA death penalty, esp. for non-football violations.

Just my 0.02c!

What price do you feel is not "too high" for enabling child rape?

And how is this a non-football violation when it was done to shield the football program from bad publicity?

What price do you feel is not "too high" for enabling child rape?

And how is this a non-football violation when it was done to shield the football program from bad publicity?

I think it was to shield the University from bad publicity. 2001 only tangentially involved the football program. Had this been reported to DPW, football program would only provided witnesses to an act, with no coverup.

I think it was to shield the University from bad publicity. 2001 only tangentially involved the football program. Had this been reported to DPW, football program would only provided witnesses to an act, with no coverup.

Protecting the football program -- and Joe Paterno's legacy -- were central to the coverup. Schultz and Spanier were ok with notifying DPW. It was the athletic director, aka "Paterno's errand boy," who talked them into changing the plan after discussing it over with the head football coach.

JMO

(CNN) -- Penn State University will face "significant, unprecedented penalties" from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but it will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the football team from playing in the fall, a source familiar with the case tells CNN.
"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."
---

Source: Severe penalties set for Penn State

Paterno statue removed from outside football stadium

Author: By Ross Levitt and Susan Candiotti CNN

Published On: Jul 22 2012 08:04:09 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 22 2012 02:45:15 PM EDT

Craig Houtz / Reuters
(CNN) -
Penn State University will face "significant, unprecedented penalties" from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but it will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the football team from playing in the fall, a source familiar with the case tells CNN.

But the source says the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties the source wouldn't specify.

"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ate/-/1719418/15634044/-/sp7jiiz/-/index.html

Protecting the football program -- and Joe Paterno's legacy -- were central to the coverup. Schultz and Spanier were ok with notifying DPW. It was the athletic director, aka "Paterno's errand boy," who talked them into changing the plan after discussing it over with the head football coach.

JMO

But how would it have damaged that legacy? The damage was caused by not reporting Sandusky. They report it, and they are home free.

Source: Severe penalties set for Penn State

Paterno statue removed from outside football stadium

Author: By Ross Levitt and Susan Candiotti CNN

Published On: Jul 22 2012 08:04:09 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 22 2012 02:45:15 PM EDT

Craig Houtz / Reuters
(CNN) -
Penn State University will face "significant, unprecedented penalties" from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but it will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the football team from playing in the fall, a source familiar with the case tells CNN.

But the source says the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties the source wouldn't specify.

"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ate/-/1719418/15634044/-/sp7jiiz/-/index.html

Works for me. :rocker:

But how would it have damaged that legacy? The damage was caused by not reporting Sandusky. They report it, and they are home free.

Being exposed caused the damage. They almost got away with it. Joe Pa managed to hang around long enough to get the all-time wins record.

I understand what you are saying and that may have been true if there was only 2001 to consider. But I think Paterno et al were concerned that by reporting in 2001, the 1998 incident would come out and the fact that they all knew about it too.

I know no charges were made by the DA but that is separate to me and I think most people, from them realizing that JS was a pedophile and still did not take him out of the football program by firing him, and letting him continue to bring children to the facilities after 1998. Also they would have to answer why they gave him such a good retirement in 1999, knowing this previous situation. And there is no good answer to that other than JS had something on Paterno or the others. Maybe Paterno was afraid JS would talk to protect himself.

And most of the public knows, as his own lawyer said, a pedophile does not just begin at age 50, they have been that way all along. Paterno knew this and knew the public would ask why he allowed JS to continue his association with boys at the school for so long, and why Paterno and the rest continued their association with 2nd Mile/JS even after he retired, knowing what they knew.

It would still have been a scandal in 2001 even if they reported, with the history of them allowing JS to continue to bring boys to the school and molest them there, bringing them to games, other events and out of town trips, all under the eye of Paterno, who knew what he was. The only difference is they would not have faced charges for lying and not reporting.

This is IMO...

I still believe Penn State deserves the death penalty and nothing the "sources" tell the media is going to change my mind. And I think it sucks that Penn State has still done nothing to sanction itself. They couldn't even take the statue down without being pressured into it. They still have no accountability.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back