Vaccine case draws new attention to autism debate

Spazkat9696

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/03/06/vaccines.autism/

~SNIP~ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- The parents of a 9-year-old girl with autism said Thursday that their assertion that her illness was caused by childhood vaccines has been vindicated by the federal government's decision to compensate them.~

Well even though this is a very heated topic what does everyone think? Please respect each other. I think even though vaccines have saved a number of lives more research needs to be done.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/03/06/vaccines.autism/

~SNIP~ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- The parents of a 9-year-old girl with autism said Thursday that their assertion that her illness was caused by childhood vaccines has been vindicated by the federal government's decision to compensate them.~

Well even though this is a very heated topic what does everyone think? Please respect each other. I think even though vaccines have saved a number of lives more research needs to be done.
Oh I don't think anyone around here has an opinion on this topic.:)

I have one..My son has Autism. I have the same thoughts. The MMR was the one that made him disappear. It was like magic one day he was here and the next he just went away. He did get sick when he got that shot. It is the tripple shots that are suspect not all vaccines. The MMR and the Pertusis I believe are the tripple shots it is what they use to preserve the vaccine that is the problem because it is 49% mercury. I know they stopped using that preservative.
and probably won't see a decline for awhile because The enviroment is also playing a part.

I have one..My son has Autism. I have the same thoughts. The MMR was the one that made him disappear. It was like magic one day he was here and the next he just went away. He did get sick when he got that shot. It is the tripple shots that are suspect not all vaccines. The MMR and the Pertusis I believe are the tripple shots it is what they use to preserve the vaccine that is the problem because it is 49% mercury. I know they stopped using that preservative.
and probably won't see a decline for awhile because The enviroment is also playing a part.

Welcome, Mysticj. I've heard other parents of autistic children say what you have posted. We have had some interesting threads on the subject here at WS.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone in the medical community conceding to liability surrounding this issue and causation, so this is very interesting.

My son has Asperger Syndrome, so I am familiar with the different opinions. I feel like he was born with it, but that doesn't mean I think every child with Autism is. I am just glad it is getting the attention it deserves so a cure or prevention can be found.

The dreaded Mercury again.....

:blowkiss:

My mom's next door neighbor had a baby that went from being a baby progressing at a normal rate on motor and cognitive skills, to being trapped in the haze of severe autism. Was it a vaccination? no one knows... but his escape into the world of autism did happen right after he had had a pediatric checkup for his shots. I remember when Holly Robinson Peete talked about how after her son was given a vax, he too slipped into the world of autism. Maybe there is something there... I don't know, but it is suspicious.

I have one..My son has Autism. I have the same thoughts. The MMR was the one that made him disappear. It was like magic one day he was here and the next he just went away. He did get sick when he got that shot. It is the triple shots that are suspect not all vaccines. The MMR and the Pertusis I believe are the tripple shots it is what they use to preserve the vaccine that is the problem because it is 49% mercury. I know they stopped using that preservative.

I too agree the shots may have something to do with it, but I'm unsure if it's the mercury. I feel it has something to do with the fact these children are the second generation to receive these shots, so not only is their immune system being altered, but they are the product of their mothers altered immune system. I also think that the large amount of shots children receive especially the combo shots is causing them damage, in some form. I was thinking last night and wonder if the rate of autism is as high in countries where vaccinations are unavailable as it is here. I also wish some one would look at the fact that the number of persons with autism who are left handed is higher than in the general population, but that's another topic.

I am not sure what to think of it. So many moms say the child was great and then came the vaccine and it was a big difference. As a mother, I am leaning more towards trusting a mother's instict. A mother always knows their child right?
I know I felt it best to vaccinate my kids, no matter the risk. i couldn't in good conscience risk them getting a horrible disease, no matter how small the chances are now, in time with more and more choosing not to vaccinate the risk of these diseases goes up.

My son has Asperger Syndrome, so I am familiar with the different opinions. I feel like he was born with it, but that doesn't mean I think every child with Autism is. I am just glad it is getting the attention it deserves so a cure or prevention can be found.
My cousin as well, she was never the same as other kids from the start. It was clear something was wrong even before the vaccines.
We had a cousin the same age as her, only younger by a few months and it was very obvious watching the 2 babies so close in age.

Still no autism-vaccine link, say health officials

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal health officials said on Thursday the government has not conceded that vaccines cause autism even after a Georgia girl won federal compensation in a case arguing a vaccine led to her brain damage.
Hannah Poling, 9, had a rare mitochondrial disorder and a federal court ruling said regular childhood vaccinations may have contributed to some of her autism-like symptoms. She was awarded compensation under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program in a case that became public this week.
http://in.reuters.com/article/health/idINN0633320520080306

I have a friend with identical twin boys. BOTH were vibrant, alert and talking up a storm. Until they were vaccinated. Like so many others their lives were forever changed literally overnight.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-07-vaccines-autism_N.htm

U.S. health agencies stand behind safety of vaccines
Federal health officials restated their belief in the safety of childhood vaccines Thursday, reacting to questions raised by a government settlement with the family of a 9-year-old Georgia girl, who developed neurological problems shortly after receiving childhood shots.
The government agreed to pay the family from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program in November. The issue has rekindled the autism and vaccine debate — on the Internet and in the media — in the past few days. The Associated Press obtained documents about the case from the Department of Health and Human Services, where the vaccine-compensation program is located. The amount of the settlement hasn't been set yet.

GASP I'm shocked...defending pharmaceutical companies??? never that!:rolleyes:

How old was your son? I don't remember when my kids got their MMR. My sister used to babysit for a family who had an autistic daughter. She was the middle child and they refused to have their youngest daughter vaccinated for fear she would become autistic too. My sister loved this little girl and she is now going to college to be a special ed teacher. She loves working with special ed kids and I am just amazed and how well she does with them.

Do parents have the option of refusing these triple vaccines? I am at the point when my baby is born and if it's a boy, I want to refuse the MMR. Will that affect school enrollment? I can see why more and more parents are refusing this vaccine. My DH probanly will not agree and I can see us in a huge fight over it.

How old was your son? I don't remember when my kids got their MMR. My sister used to babysit for a family who had an autistic daughter. She was the middle child and they refused to have their youngest daughter vaccinated for fear she would become autistic too. My sister loved this little girl and she is now going to college to be a special ed teacher. She loves working with special ed kids and I am just amazed and how well she does with them.

They are given the mmr twice before the age of three. My son still gets vaccinated and is up to date on all the only difference is that the ones he gets do not have the preservativeand as far as the MMR goes he hasen't needed it because it is still in his system proven by blood work. When the time comes that he will need it he will get three seperate shots not the all in one.

I too agree the shots may have something to do with it, but I'm unsure if it's the mercury. I feel it has something to do with the fact these children are the second generation to receive these shots, so not only is their immune system being altered, but they are the product of their mothers altered immune system. I also think that the large amount of shots children receive especially the combo shots is causing them damage, in some form. I was thinking last night and wonder if the rate of autism is as high in countries where vaccinations are unavailable as it is here. I also wish some one would look at the fact that the number of persons with autism who are left handed is higher than in the general population, but that's another topic.

Now this is interesting and wonder if they even looked into the second generation thing...I have to say there is no history of Autism on eithor side of family and my son of all the kids is the only one who has it.

Ohh I am left handed and my son is right handed. I don't believe it has anything to do with it.. I remember he used both for years.. now he is predominately right.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back