At least 8 dead in house fire

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/03/pa.fire/

This is local to me. Nine members of one family and a friend of the family were killed, ranging in age from 40 years to 4 months. Two family members were able to get out. It is devastating to our small community.

I'm just now reading up on this. So tragic. The suriving daughter lost her own two children am I correct?

Elizabeth and James were taken to DuBois Hospital. They suffered minor injuries. Elizabeth and James' father, Doug Peterson Jr., was at work when the blaze began and was not injured.

Healing prayers to the remaining family members.
Can you imagine dealing with that kind of loss? :(

Liz survived but yes, both of her children were killed, as were her mother, two brothers, three sisters, niece and boyfriend. It's just horrible.

Charm,
I'm from Punxsy. Prayers to our neighbors in Brockway and the Peterson family.

I can't even imagine how you get through the day when this happens. My prayers go out to this poor family. :(

One article mentioned "space heaters" were in use. I am so afraid of them and never use them. How sad if that's what practically wiped out an entire family.

They will certainly set up a fund to help this family, right? ETA: Oops, just saw the fund info at the bottom of the article.

Here's another article:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_560601.html

Thanks to you all for the prayers. We are a very small town and this is by far the most horrific thing that has happened here. My kids go to school with these children and it's hard to try to help your children deal with something like this, let alone try to comprehend it yourself.
Thanks for posting Charm. I know you are always around and you don't post much..so I appreciate you bringing this horribly sad story to us. Bless them all.

Thank you Charm for posting this story. I just knew someone would pick up the story. News like this to a rural area such as ours is like getting slammed in the chest with a sledge hammer. Even those of us who don't know the family personally usually know someone who is involved.

This clip is from today's Courier-Express:
Brockway Area School District Superintendent Steve Zarlinski said the school has been handling the situation by making guidance and grief counselors as well as the crisis intervention team available.
Chief of Police Doug Johnson said students were allowed to leave school early Thursday if they wished.
"We have been contacted by other school districts, offering their support and counseling services, but right now we're handling it the best we can," Zarlinski said.
Of the nine youths who died in the fire, Grace Peterson was in kindergarten at Brockway; Isaac Peterson, second grade at Brockway; Douglas Peterson III, seventh grade at Brockway; Rebecca Peterson, 11th grade at Jeff Tech; and Jason Mowry, 12th grade at Brockway.
Mayor William Hrinya called the Petersons a nice and hardworking family. During his years as a teacher, he taught some of the children and remembered them as being studious.
"It's a tragic day for our small community. The thing that hurts us most is that we're one big family," Hrinya said. "When we lose a family, it saddens our hearts. We just ask you to say a prayer for Brockway tonight."
http://tinyurl.com/46wn3s

Thanks to everyone who have given up prayers for the families involved.

A memorial fund has been set up - donations may be sent to:
Peterson Memorial Fund
Priority First Federal Credit Union
500 Main Street
Brockway, PA 15824

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads