Landfill Searches

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a different case, from British columbia.
I ask that our mods please let it stay, as it has excellent pictures of a landfill search in progress, and may help others understand the massive undertaking of searching a landfill. This search was two weeks after the body was believed to have been transferred to the dump.
Thanks to Keika in Current events for the link.

http://www.bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&languageId=1&contentId=13380&index=3

I know that LE feels they have isolated a section of the landfill where, IF he is there, Gabriel is most likely to be found. But how would anyone know WHERE EJ threw him away? (If she did). She could have driven ANYWHERE, including somewhere that is out of boundaries for this landfill. What was to stop her from driving somewhere else?

I do not believe Jay's statement that LE searched the landfill yesterday. I would need confirmation from LE or perhaps a reporter who had video to support their contentions.

The pre-dig cadaver searches that LE did, well, I don't know if the dogs alerted or not. If they did not alert, I may gain a little hope from that, but my understanding is that remains may be buried so deeply at a landfill, and the dogs scent affected by the gases etc, that they may not alert until the dig is underway, and some of the trash has been removed.

But... that's my non-expert, personal opinion and feelings only.

I am hopeful hearing from Sgt Carbajal that Eliz's attorney and the county attorney are talking. That's a good sign to me. At least there is a door open, and that is at least a first step.

Is it known if they did a cadaver-dog search of the hotel room and EJ's car as well? Is it possible that they DID, and did not get any alerts at all? This would certainly support an alive and well Gabriel.

The landfill search started today. Briefly, Phase I will take 6 days. 45 feet of debris will be dug through, and then cadaver dogs will be brought in. Phase II will be sifting through the debris removed.

Quite a number of news articles and videos regarding the landfill search beginning are in today's Daily News thread here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95428"]2010.02.09 - Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE *** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Additionally, a thread was begun on the news conference earlier today in which Chief McManus announced the start of the landfill search here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95441"]San Antonio PD news conference - 09-Feb-10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

More stories on the landfill search are already in today's Daily News thread here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95508"]2010.02.10 - Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE *** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

There are many similarities in the stories, so not posting all of them here. If anybody sees any new info in them, please post.

TIA

You would think they would of offered her a serious plea deal before the huge undertaking of searching this landfill.

You would think they would of offered her a serious plea deal before the huge undertaking of searching this landfill.

They may have. Her attorney and the county attorney were talking. It's in a video with Sgt Carbajal in the LE Statements thread.

They may have. Her attorney and the county attorney were talking. It's in a video with Sgt Carbajal in the LE Statements thread.

I meant she would of accepted a plea-too good to pass up. I'm sure they were trying to avoid the landfill search.

I meant she would of accepted a plea-too good to pass up. I'm sure they were trying to avoid the landfill search.

IMO, she would only take a plea if she knew that his body was there somewhere. Since I am sure she knows of the plans to search there, the fact that she hasn't started talking is a bit encouraging. Of course, she could be mum because she figures that after this amount of time, they won't find anything, whether it's there or not.

ETA: And weather channel says there are showers expected this afternoon, tonight and tomorrow. And they can't search that landfill in the rain.

I would like to know the demeanor of EJ and TPS right now...........
anxiety attack or laughing????

San Antonio police comb landfill for missing Tempe baby
Feb. 11, 2010 12:00 AM

San Antonio police are likely to face weeks of meticulous digging through mountains of stench and waste in a costly landfill search that experts say may never lead to the body of 9-month-old missing baby Gabriel Johnson.

On Wednesday, police worked through the rain to remove 45 feet of debris, a process that will take another four days before investigators get to the trash they really want: garbage from the motel where the Tempe child was last seen alive.

Experts who have conducted similar searches said police volunteers and cadaver dogs could spend months in the tedious task of sorting the trash.

They will follow dates on discarded newspapers to make sure they are looking in the right spot.

They will become experts on the difference between turkey bones, chicken bones and steak bones.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ice-search-landfill-for-baby-gabriel0211.html

Search for Baby Gabriel:
Local companies picking up $100,000 excavation cost

Tuesday, workers began the monumental task of excavating a section of the Tessman Road landfill in search of Baby Gabriel.

The San Antonio Police Department estimates the cost of this dig to be more than $100,000.

However, it’s not going to cost taxpayers a dime.

The police department reached out to nearly a dozen local companies who agreed to donate time, equipment, and resources to the search efforts.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Search-for-Baby-Gabriel-Excavation-expected-to-cost-100000-84062927.html

San Antonio police comb landfill for missing Tempe baby
Feb. 11, 2010 12:00 AM

San Antonio police are likely to face weeks of meticulous digging through mountains of stench and waste in a costly landfill search that experts say may never lead to the body of 9-month-old missing baby Gabriel Johnson.

On Wednesday, police worked through the rain to remove 45 feet of debris, a process that will take another four days before investigators get to the trash they really want: garbage from the motel where the Tempe child was last seen alive.

Experts who have conducted similar searches said police volunteers and cadaver dogs could spend months in the tedious task of sorting the trash.

They will follow dates on discarded newspapers to make sure they are looking in the right spot.

They will become experts on the difference between turkey bones, chicken bones and steak bones.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ice-search-landfill-for-baby-gabriel0211.html

BBM

How on earth could they not have isolated those dumpsters before they were picked up?!? That is just basic police work to me considering the text and phone call that was sent on the 27th.

From what I understand, LE knew EJ was in San Antonio, but not where she was staying. Not sure when they figured it out....

I don't know about you all, but I plan on sending the companies that are volunteering equipment, personnel, and land to aid in this search, a thank you card!

Not only are they saving the taxpayers of TX expense, but they have proven once again that there are very caring and decent business owners out there (actually most of us are, the crappy ones are the minority)

I am going to go look up addresses, email addresses if they have them. Give me a little while, if you want them, PM me.

(snipped from article)

• Allied Waste Landfill
• HB Zachry Construction
• Yantis Construction
• M&M Contracting
• Holt Construction
• United Site Services
• Home Depot
• HEB
• Bexar County Junior Livestock
• Martinez Social Club

IMO, she would only take a plea if she knew that his body was there somewhere. Since I am sure she knows of the plans to search there, the fact that she hasn't started talking is a bit encouraging. Of course, she could be mum because she figures that after this amount of time, they won't find anything, whether it's there or not.

ETA: And weather channel says there are showers expected this afternoon, tonight and tomorrow. And they can't search that landfill in the rain.

BBM, I think it's encouraging too.
IMO, if they do find him there, he will most likely be in the diaper bag like she said, and that should help preserve evidence, at least to some degree. But I don't think he's there.
I really think he's alive.
But I'm also worried that she would have put the diaper bag in another dumpster, rather than the ones at the hotels.

Exclusive: Baby Gabriel search focused on missing green bag

Posted on February 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM
Updated today at 9:31 AM

But there reportedly was one item investigators could not find: a green diaper bag that belonged to Gabriel Johnson. Of course, the 8-month-old was missing too.
snip

A joint investigation involving authorities in San Antonio and Arizona led to a portion of the Tessman Road Landfill being roped off.

snip

That's where sources said police are looking for a green diaper bag or suitcase that could contain the child's body.

snip

KENS 5 has learned that police have evidence of communication between the Smiths and Johnson while she was in San Antonio.

According to sources, they allegedly were discussing ways to conduct an illegal adoption. But police reportedly have not been able to conclude that such an adoption ever happened.

Sources said police did find witnesses who saw Johnson shopping without Gabriel the day she abandoned her grandfather's vehicle at a south-side Motel 6.

snip

Police have said the mother was uncooperative. She reportedly said Gabriel was given to a couple in a San Antonio park.

But sources said subsequent questioning of the toddler's mother revealed inconsistencies in her story. Plus, investigators allegedly believe the missing child's story garnered so much national media attention that it's peculiar that they have not received any reports of sightings of Gabriel.

As a result, investigators reportedly think the child really could be a capital murder victim and unthinkably was tossed away like garbage.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Exclusive...-bag-with-Gabriel-Johnsons-body-84220907.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member