AZ - Thomas Kemp executed for '92 murder of Tucson college student

No problem, Ana. I didn't think YOU were accusing me of being soft on crime. That's just the stereotype I usually encounter when my opposition to the d.p. is known. In fact, I'm quite happy to lock up murderers for a long time (even for life) in order to protect society.

What jumped out at me was that this state uses the one drug combo, rather than three - and it's phenobarbital, rather than sodium thiopental (although I know there are supply issues with that drug manufacturer). Phenobarbital can cause seizures, whereas sodium thiopental does not seem to. Although there are issues with sodium thiopental wearing off too quickly, because administration of the dose is not done by medical professionals with dosages tailored specifically. Just because no other inmates physically shook does not mean that it's issue-free.

For me personally, the only way I could feel comfortable with the death penalty is if it were administered in such a way that it isn't cruel and unusual punishment - and if we have eliminated innocent persons from being convicted. I cannot imagine anything more horrifying than an innocent person being put to death, and that death being tortuous. It's all about Blackstone for me - better than ten guilty go free than one innocent man condemned.

There is no proof whatsoever these injections constitute torture. Again, this was several SECONDS, not several minutes, hours or days. If you really want to stretch it, IMO it could be considered cruel and unusual to know the time, down to the minute, of your death. And you really think it's better for ten guilty people to go free than one innocent to be condemned?

Let me give you a brief synopsis on Kenneth McDuff. He was tried and convicted of murder, sentenced to death. He and another man kidnapped two boys and a girl. The boys were then shot in their heads and killed. The girl was brutally raped by both men and they also violated her with a broken broomstick handle, then murdered her as well. The death penalty was overturned, so McDuff got his sentence changed to life, and then guess what, he got paroled. There's one guilty person set free. He was later again convicted for murdering two more women, one of whom was pregnant, and is suspected of killing at least four more.

So there's one guilty man set free, and at least six innocent women and an unborn child paid for it with their lives, and I sincerely doubt any of those six women were granted a kind and peaceful death.

I don't care what drug combo is used in lethal injection. My understanding it the offer is made to the inmate to be put to sleep before the injection is administered. If the inmate chooses to refuse, and then suffers some pain, which again has not been proven, then that is not any kind of reason to go back to the drawing board on how to carry out death sentences. If anything, force the inmate to be put to sleep first, problem solved.

Maybe the inmate was shaking because he was dying, but the medication must not have worked correctly. I'm not really for or against the DP, but not that many are executed yearly, so I don't see why they can't be kept in for LWOP. The rapists and molesters who do light sentences then get out to kill their victims worries me.

I've often wondered why they dont use firearms for execution. Getting shot through the head with a large-caliber bullet would certaintly be painless, but also messy.

I've often wondered why they dont use firearms for execution. Getting shot through the head with a large-caliber bullet would certaintly be painless, but also messy.

Shooters occasionally miss. People shot in the head don't always die and even those who do may suffer a great deal of pain first.

And, yes, it's messy, which upsets us to imagine. (This is probably the main reason, but to me, the least important one.)

...Let me give you a brief synopsis on Kenneth McDuff....

The system failed in so many ways with McDuff, I hardly think that's a fair example. If we had had LWOP in the first place and decent security in Texas prisons, most of his victims would have been saved.

But are you seriously arguing it's better for the State to kill a few innocent people? Which volunteers do you have in mind?

It would be cheaper.

:moo:
Shaking is not necessarily a sign of pain.

When were we granted the right to a painless death?

Accident victims die painful deaths.
Cancer patients suffer for months in many cases.

Lethal injection made one guy shake?
Not high on my list of social issues that need resolution.

Really....so he may have been just plain chilled. So what. At least he got to "go to sleep" and not have to meet ole sparky.poor baby

A hose and broom would be helpful. ok that was mean but what he did was worse.:moo:

A hose and broom would be helpful. ok that was mean but what he did was worse.:moo:

The question is what sort of people do you and I want to be?

Saying we're better than Kenneth McDuff may be true, but it is setting the bar awfully low.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back