GUILTY OK - Maggie Trammel, 10 days old, dies in washing machine, Bartlesville, 4 Nov 2010

I have some knowledege of how TX CPS handles cases like this (though much less severe than this).

Newly married couple; the father tested positive for marijuana (court-ordered testing; he'd had one prior conviction, for burglary).

TX CPS....
* first placed the newborn with responsible relatives
* developed a care plan with those and other relatives, and the parents
* visited the home weekly for interviews with both parents
* of course visited the relatives's home at least weekly to observe progress, integrate parents into care plan
* after developing a further care plan, restored the baby to its parents
* scheduled and conducted six more months of follow-up weekly visits with the parents, including extra, random checks

And this was for a failed marijuana test, no evidence of harder drugs, and a clean record for the father since the initial arrest some years prior. The mother had no marks against her at all.

Why Oklahoma cannot manage this is simply impossible to say. This case was much more severe than the TX one above, and included OD-ing drug-users and multiple accounts of meth usage in the home. Why was the child still in the home - or allowed to go home from the hospital to a place like that, in the first place?

Pair of Oklahoma child deaths spotlight disturbing trend
The November washing machine death of a Bartlesville infant and last summer's drug overdose death of a teenager at a family reunion are examples of a disturbing trend
---
The chairman and vice chairman of the Oklahoma Commission for Human Services told The Oklahoman they believe a new state law that narrows conditions under which children can be removed from homes has created situations where DHS workers and courts are leaving children in homes when the better choice might be to remove them.

The new law that went into effect Jan. 1 requires child welfare workers, law enforcement officers and courts to determine there is an “imminent safety threat” to a child before that child can be removed from a home. Previously, officials only had to show the child's surroundings were a danger to the child's welfare.

Under the new standard, officials must determine the threat is so severe that “in the very near future and without the intervention of another person, a child would likely or in all probability sustain severe or permanent disability or injury, illness or death.”

“My feeling on it is that when they changed that to imminent safety threat, I think that hurt us greatly on being able to remove some children,” said Aneta Wilkinson, vice chairman of the commission. “It seems like they raised the bar so high that maybe that has really hurt us. I think we need to look into it more and make some changes.”

Article here: http://newsok.com/pair-of-oklahoma-...isturbing-trend/article/3522950#ixzz17vH1CaYK
and WS thread here: OK - Epic Fail: State Slackens Child Protection Standards - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Bartlesville Infant's Death Adds Fuel To Federal Lawsuit Against Oklahoma's DHS

BARTLESVILLE, Oklahoma – The death of a ten-day-old Washington County baby has been thrust into the middle of a federal class action lawsuit.
---
Oklahoma's Department of Human Services says it's getting better and that it has a federal review and the numbers to back it up. The organization suing the agency says the numbers are misleading and Maggie May's death could prove it.

"Don't you want to know? Wouldn't a reasonable person want to know what happened in this case?" said Paul DeMurro, plaintiff's attorney.

"Why didn't you take this child into state custody?" DeMurro asked. "And if this child is an example of how you're conducting your assessments than we have a major problem."

much, much more, including OK DHS defending itself, lots of statistics, plus video, at link above

I'll say it and get hammered with you! Some women should not be allowed to have babies. It's too bad her family was not able to get those kids away from her in time.

That poor baby was only ten days old. The mom had been high on meth for three of those days, maybe more. *sigh*

I'll say it, too, because I believe there are certain women & men who should not be allowed to procreate or to take care of children. DEFINITELY need to take KYs lead & require drug testing for those who need help!

Murder charged filed in washing machine baby death
BARTLESVILLE — A 26-year-old Bartlesville woman whose baby was found dead in a washing machine has been charged with first-degree murder in the infant’s death.

Washington County District Attorney Kevin Buchanan on Wednesday filed the murder charge against Lyndsey Dawn Fiddler, who also faces a felony child neglect charge in the Nov. 4 death of her 10-day-old baby.

A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled March 10
---
The murder charge alleges the baby died because Fiddler failed to adequately care for the infant due to exposure to illegal drugs.

Initial reports during the police investigation showed Fiddler tested positive for methamphetamine, amphetamines, benzodiazepine and opiates.
---

more at Tulsa World link above

ME: Baby in washing machine died of drowning
---
The report notes the baby had numerous contusions and abrasions consistent with the conditions that would be endured “while in the washing machine during a wash cycle.” There were no drugs or alcohol in the baby’s system according to toxicology tests performed by the Medical Examiner’s Office.
---
The baby’s great aunt, Rhonda Coshatt, told authorities she fed Maggie May and changed her diaper before Fiddler took the infant to another room, saying she was going to put the girl to bed.

Coshatt told police she found the baby in the washing machine, which had been making noises as if it were out of balance. Fiddler has denied placing the baby in the washing machine.
---

more at Tulsa World link above

Bartlesville woman bound over for trial on murder, child neglect charges
BARTLESVILLE - Lyndsey Dawn Fiddler has been bound over for trial on two counts, first-degree murder and felony child neglect. Fiddler's preliminary hearing began in Washington County District Court on Thursday morning, presided over by Special Judge John Gerkin.
---
During the preliminary hearing, police testified that Fiddler’s two sons, ages 5 and 8, were “hysterical” as police tried to determine what happened in the home.

“I asked (Fiddler) what happened,” Officer Stacy Neafus said. “She was crying and she threw her hands up in the air, and she said, ‘I guess I put my baby in the washing machine.'”
---
Officer Adam Duncan and Officer Chris Mims both testified about Fiddler’s perceived drug use, saying she had a condition described as “meth mouth” or “tweaking,” where her mouth was continually moving when they interviewed her on the night of the baby’s death.

Lt. Mike McCarty testified that Fiddler was confused and he had to ask her three times to put on her shoes so she could go to the police station.

“She appeared to be intoxicated,” McCarty said. “She was staggering; she had slurred speech. She was hysterical. As she spoke, her speech was really slurred.”
---

much more, including picture, at Tulsa World link above

---
The issue of which charges Fiddler will face in trial is being debated now in court documents.

Bartlesville attorney Mark Kane, who is representing Fiddler as a public defender, filed a motion in district court asking to quash the murder charge in the case. Kane argues the facts of the case indicate a charge of second-degree manslaughter would be more appropriate.
---
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://209.184.242.1/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110803_12_0_BRLSIL631283

I often think ..........look at this picture (of mom)........someone MATED with that!

That baby never stood a chance had she not died that night.

It's just so damn sad.

Wow... the baby looked so sickly and weak. She was obviously born addicted, malnourished, etc... even unhappy. Can a newborn look unhappy...? That one sure did..... RIP.

I have never seen a newborn looking tense like that, I bet dear little thing was addicted too, don't they test mums when drugs are expected? Why was that baby allowed home with her?

At least little Maggie May is in a better place now, it's a crying shame that she wasn't allowed to have a life

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110804_12_A11_ULNSbd5778

...baby was found in a washing machine that had just completed a spin cycle.

By LAURA SUMMERS World Correspondent
Published: 8/4/2011 4:16 AM
Last Modified: 8/4/2011 4:16 AM

The murder charge alleges that the baby died because Fiddler failed to care for the infant adequately because of exposure to illegal drugs.

Police reports showed that Fiddler tested positive for methamphetamine, amphetamines, benzodiazepine and opiates.

Wow... the baby looked so sickly and weak. She was obviously born addicted, malnourished, etc... even unhappy. Can a newborn look unhappy...? That one sure did..... RIP.

Exactly what I was thinking...tiny little maggie...dear god this poor baby! RIP Maggie :(

I was a foster parent for many years and I've cared for many Maggie Mays. Most would come straight from the hospital after birth, some after an injury : ( .
I will never forget a hearing when a case worker was arguing for a baby to be returned to it's mother ,who had true schizophrenia and drank every day ,including throughout her pregnancy.
She argued that they would have to return the child until the mother actually did something to him ! This was the baby's caseworker!
Luckily the judge and guardian ad litem thought differently. Mom eventually opted out and we adopted him.
There was a period of time when our local DA was pushing for arrests of mothers who used drugs during pregnancy because of the damage done to the child. Testing was done at birth and many moms were arrested,until various advocates put a stop to it.Several times I took 2 newborns at a time because there were so many and so few foster homes willing (HIV scare,baby withdrawal,etc...) to take on these special babies.

I'm not justifying any decisions Social Services makes,but remember ,they have to put those kids somewhere when they remove them from families. When the caseworkers know the few foster homes they have are full what are they supposed to do? Due to laws and fire codes there's a limit on how many kids a home can have and some foster parents are very specific about the ages they'll accept,etc.

I think it's a Ghandi quote that's so appropriate "be the change you wish to see in the world".
I was a foster parent for 17 years ,adopted 4 of the babies ,including medically fragile/developmentally disabled. I did it because I loved caring for those babies and because I could, but I'm happy to pass the torch.
If you can't be a foster parent find out how you can support those that are . Maybe there will be a few less Maggie Mays if Social Services has more options.

I was a foster parent for many years and I've cared for many Maggie Mays. Most would come straight from the hospital after birth, some after an injury : ( .
I will never forget a hearing when a case worker was arguing for a baby to be returned to it's mother ,who had true schizophrenia and drank every day ,including throughout her pregnancy.
She argued that they would have to return the child until the mother actually did something to him ! This was the baby's caseworker!
Luckily the judge and guardian ad litem thought differently. Mom eventually opted out and we adopted him.
There was a period of time when our local DA was pushing for arrests of mothers who used drugs during pregnancy because of the damage done to the child. Testing was done at birth and many moms were arrested,until various advocates put a stop to it.Several times I took 2 newborns at a time because there were so many and so few foster homes willing (HIV scare,baby withdrawal,etc...) to take on these special babies.

I'm not justifying any decisions Social Services makes,but remember ,they have to put those kids somewhere when they remove them from families. When the caseworkers know the few foster homes they have are full what are they supposed to do? Due to laws and fire codes there's a limit on how many kids a home can have and some foster parents are very specific about the ages they'll accept,etc.

I think it's a Ghandi quote that's so appropriate "be the change you wish to see in the world".
I was a foster parent for 17 years ,adopted 4 of the babies ,including medically fragile/developmentally disabled. I did it because I loved caring for those babies and because I could, but I'm happy to pass the torch.
If you can't be a foster parent find out how you can support those that are . Maybe there will be a few less Maggie Mays if Social Services has more options.

Thank you miss james for opening your home to these precious babies.....it must have been very difficult. Bless your heart!

I know what it's like to hear a caseworker tell "We have to wait until something happens"! It is the most frustrating and sad thing to hear, really! Is like why wait, why not prevent!

Parents on drugs=disaster in the works...help fix that before it becomes an issue.

Sadly, drug use is rampant in OK. I have seen children taken for ALOT less and then this one was sent home with THAT. It depends on the county around here. Rogers county is VERY strict and has been the target for alot of lawsuits.

I wish there were requirements to be able to breed. This is the meth capital of the US and high on the welfare roles too. Some of these people keep having babies in order to get more from the gov't, which they sometimes sell to get alcohol and drugs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back