South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA-kids are so much meaner today and I am not sure what the explanation is for this. It has to be partly the parenting, the idea that kids must never be criticized as it might harm their self-esteem (!) which came about in the 90's or so...teachers have been stripped of all power in classrooms as far as any kind of punishment that might humiliate a student, no matter what he/she is doing that might warrant a punishment, parents get outraged and sue school systems if Junior is admonished or gets a lower grade than the parent feels the little treasure should have, etc...all of these things add up to kids obtaining a sense that they can get away with anything and mommy and daddy will jump to their defense...
Most parents want/need to believe that their kids are special...but the parents of many of the people in prisons in this country surely once believed that too...spoiled, unkind kids grow up to be spoiled, unkind adults whose thoughts are only for themselves. This country has become incredibly self-absorbed and the internet only enables this self-love.
Meanwhile, the unfortunate kids who don't have the right look, the right clothes, the right whatever it is that makes other kids single them out are left to fend for themselves as school adminstrators are heistant to take action in so many cases, possibly fearing retribution from the offenders' parents more than fearing for the child being abused. Or they just are ignoring situations rather than be the one to take charge and take action.
Somehow, someway, we have to find a way to re-instill a sense of right and wrong in kids and teens. I don't know what the answer is but I do know that we did not have this kind of bullying back when I was in HS in the late 70's or anything even close to it. Kids were routinely suspended for smoking on school grounds, etc...fighting could mean expulsion. Sure, the jocks always thought they were cooler than everyone else but were so busy trying to impress the cheerleaders, it left little time to worry about the "nerds" and outsiders.
I just have no patience with mean teens...and whatever is the harshest punishment possible in these cases, IMO, needs to be dished out. And if anything can be done to the parents, I'm all for it.
My mother taught high school for many many years and part of her job was to monitor the behavior of kids and dish out punishments, something that seems to have gone by the wayside in the PC era. Where is it getting us as a country to raise kids as though they must never be told they are wrong?
Sorry for the rant...the topic of teens/internet/bullying/violence is really one that sets me off.
Um, yeah it did exist back then, just maybe not at your school. I was bullied and called horrible names back in 1969-1972. My 4th, 5th, and 6th grade years were h*ll. None of my friends would hang around with me for fear they would be picked on, and I was pushed into a fight and they made a ring around me so I couldn't escape and they were hoping this one mean girl would pummel me!!! It happened during the recess and lunch breaks when there were no adults supervising.
All because I was one of the smallest girls and in 4th grade, a popular boy didn't want to have to sit next to me when the teacher made up the seating chart, and my mother used to dress me dorkily.

Thanks Paladine, for all your research.

I am so outraged by this case and the thoughts of the cruelty Phoebe faced for months while the school officials enabled it!

Thank you for all you are doing!

Thanks. Others here have contributed, too, I must say. And thank goodness! It's lonely on a quiet thread...I like friends ;)

I didn't think I could handle this case, it's too painful...the thought of someone suffering for a day before they die is bad enough, as is the case in some of these cases. But when the pain goes on for months? That hurts. Alot. I'm very empathetic it can be a real drag. But...so far, so good.

I've been posting this link to this forum everywhere I can, as are others, where locals might be...hopefully someone posts...

The woman in the Meier case did not herself send the messages. And she was also acquitted of the misdemeanor charges by the judge.

Interesting, not the way I remember it at all. Guess I should read up because the link on my computer says the opposite. I must check for an acquittal date on those misdemeanor charges.

Ticks me off even more to know that she got away with bullying the poor girl. JMO

Makes me believe( even more so) that the prosecutor in this case must have a truckload of evidence to decide to bring the charges that they have, I hope they are found guilty and punished to the fullest extent possible according to the law.

Boston Herald gives it to officials in South Hadley...

South Hadley doesn’t need new bullying laws or legislative edicts. It doesn’t need to criminalize schoolyard taunts or Internet insults.

What South Hadley needs is a tea party.

Did you read yesterday’s Herald story about the reaction of the school stooges to the arrests in the Phoebe Prince case? Forget President Barack Obama being arrogant and out of touch. South Hadley School Committee Chairman Edward Boisselle makes him look like a Sarah Palin populist.

When the district attorney’s report found that “Phoebe’s harassment was common knowledge,” Boisselle’s reaction was (I’m paraphrasing slightly) “Oh yeah? Sez you!”

“Did they go interview all 700 kids at the school and found out that more than 300 knew about it? Isn’t that the only way you could tell that they factually knew about it?”

Boisselle is also standing by his invisible superintendent, Gus Sayer, who as of this writing was still unavailable for comment after the indictment of nine of his students.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/op...=Feed:+bostonherald+(Home+-+BostonHerald.com)

D.A. responds! Phoebe's heroine...

"Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel today fired back at the South Hadley school boss who disputed assertions that school officials should have done more for Phoebe Prince, 15, prior to her Jan. 14 suicide.

In his first comments to the media since nine students were indicted on Monday, Superintendent Gus Sayer said school officials only learned of the bullying just before Prince’s suicide. He also denied school officials looked the other way.

“The investigation into Phoebe Prince’s death is ongoing. I do not intend to address Superintendent Sayer’s assertions point by point,” Scheibel said in a statement. “I will, however, say that Mr. Sayer does not have access to our investigative materials. Therefore, he can’t have a basis for some of his remarks

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100401da_responds_to_south_hadley_superintendent/

Can I ask what's probably a dumb question as I've already lost a lot of work time reading up on this and still can't find my answer - how did the statutory rape charges come about? Did she tell someone before she died that she had had sex with the two boys?

Can I ask what's probably a dumb question as I've already lost a lot of work time reading up on this and still can't find my answer - how did the statutory rape charges come about? Did she tell someone before she died that she had had sex with the two boys?

I'm going to guess that the boys bragged all over about it.

eta: and they probably did it in embellished detail if my memory of high school serves me correctly.

That was awesome! Good for him. That's exactly the public response we need to wake people up and shake these bums out. :thumb:

Now for a similar slap-down of these bully parents...

What stuns me is that EVEN NOW the school officials aren't standing up, being responsible, examining themselves...nothing...they're fine, all's good...move on.

Amazing. So dysfunctional. An argument could be made, the students are standing trial because these adults didn't set proper boundaries, teach proper behavior, or keep Phoebe safe. And STILL they can't see what they've done wrong...that it could have been, should have been, better.

ETA I would be very upset at these officials even if I was a bully supporter...they failed all the kids, imo.

okay, this made my blood boil...I want to know if he's still in school!

i go to South Hadley HS. The biggest jerk Sean Mulveyhill, is now like uber-cool in our school. He still has his facebook page and brags about all his 600+ friends on it. He struts around being cool and brags about all the "chicks" who can't get enough of him. We all know he's on steroids it's common fact but whatever. His friends started a group on facebook "Sean Mulveyhill is Not How He's Portrayed!". Great. It's all BS and i am so sick of how him and his followers keep getting off scott free well not anymore at least some of them are in trouble.oh and if you want something else to look at they also started the "I support Mr. Dan Smith of SHHS" group. lots of drama on there. it never ends i swear.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/phoe...h-school-students-bullying-crime-2598302.html

Isn't it funny that some jocks think they're untouchable kings? In reality, they're a dime a dozen. There are hundreds of thousands of high school athletes across the United States, but many of them still think they're God's gift to humanity. It'd almost be laughable if it wasn't so tiresome.

I've been doing some research on Facebook, and it seems that a lot of students still support Sean. There's even a Facebook group in support of him. I won't name any names because I know it violates the policy here, but it's not too hard to find out. I can only imagine what poor Phoebe went through. It must've been her against a large portion of her school. :(

eta: and they probably did it in embellished detail if my memory of high school serves me correctly.

I'm with you on that, Suzie..

Isn't it funny that some jocks think they're untouchable kings? In reality, they're a dime a dozen. There are hundreds of thousands of high school athletes across the United States, but many of them still think they're God's gift to humanity. It'd almost be laughable if it wasn't so tiresome.

I've been doing some research on Facebook, and it seems that a lot of students still support Sean. There's even a Facebook group in support of him. I won't name any names because I know it violates the policy here, but it's not too hard to find out. I can only imagine what poor Phoebe went through. It must've been her against a large portion of her school. :(

Ok...my understanding based on the limited information available. He broke up with his girlfriend ( also charged) and dated Phoebe. The ex-girlfriend lost her mind and started the torment. I am not exactly clear on what this athlete did? Someone please fill me in.

I've been on that page in the discussion section in the "My Opinion" thread. My impression is that many of them think that bullying is just a normal part of life. I also get the impression that they think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I pretty much told them that that attitude is part of the problem. I suspect a good many of them were/are friends with the bullies.

Um, yeah it did exist back then, just maybe not at your school. I was bullied and called horrible names back in 1969-1972. My 4th, 5th, and 6th grade years were h*ll. None of my friends would hang around with me for fear they would be picked on, and I was pushed into a fight and they made a ring around me so I couldn't escape and they were hoping this one mean girl would pummel me!!! It happened during the recess and lunch breaks when there were no adults supervising.
All because I was one of the smallest girls and in 4th grade, a popular boy didn't want to have to sit next to me when the teacher made up the seating chart, and my mother used to dress me dorkily.

This and your other one about scratching your bullies gave me a doubletake, we're so alike!

I was also scrawny and an easy target, plus I was sort of dreamy, didn't like to play rough games, but preferred to draw or read at recess.
Luckily, most of it ended by 7th grade, when it probably would have been more hurtful, with all the angst of puberty and all.

It does seem worse these days though, and I keep wondering why... what is the difference? Sad to say, I don't think the sort of thing this poor girl went through is new. But we are seeing others that go way beyond what used to be, AFAIK, like the savage beatings, rapes, and setting kids on fire. :no:

I guess it could be a matter of those cases adding to the totality of our perception of the problem, along with the suicides and revenge-killings... all make our generation less willing to sweep it under the rug as it was before.

If only everyone would get the memo.

Ok...my understanding based on the limited information available. He broke up with his girlfriend ( also charged) and dated Phoebe. The ex-girlfriend lost her mind and started the torment. I am not exactly clear on what this athlete did? Someone please fill me in.

Very little is known about the details, but apparently, Phoebe dated Sean. After they broke up, he is said to have turned on her.

"Failure of leadership"

"It seems the cluelessness extends from some staff members at South Hadley High School all the way up to the chairman of the town’s school committee, who embarrassed himself this week by downplaying the work of Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel.

Sure, a grand jury may have found enough evidence to indict nine students on charges ranging from criminal harassment to statutory rape in connection with the suicide of 15-year-old Phoebe Prince.

And police and prosecutors who interviewed more than 50 people found that the harassment of Prince was “common knowledge” among the student body. But now enter Chairman Edward Boisselle, and his weak attempt to defend the indefensible."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/editorials/view/20100401failure_of_leadership/

Very little is known about the details, but apparently, Phoebe dated Sean. After they broke up, he is said to have turned on her.

But he wasn't charged with tormenting her correct? He's charged with statutory rape only?

They might also have confessed to it up front, when first interviewed by police.

It says here,
Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with statutory rape, violation of civil rights with bodily injury resulting, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

But he wasn't charged with tormenting her correct? He's charged with statutory rape only?

According to this, he was charged with statutory rape, violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla