IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that's a great assessment.

What I don't understand is the BPD took a lot of heat during the Jill Behrman case. It took three years to find her body (and that was pure luck). Many don't believe Myers killed her. A lot of money was wasted draining Salt Creek.

You would think that they'd come with their A game to investigate this, if for no other reason than to redeem themselves in the public eye.

Guys, Its a rural community. They don't have the resources to stage this type of investigation like, say, New York City or Chicago.

They are mostly set up to catch drunk drivers, speeders, petty theft, domestic disturbance, and keep the students from all out anarchy, IMO. Mostly, they keep things out of the news as much as possible.

Google Crystal Grubb.

I'm also going to work on updating my map, when I'm finished uploading the pics of College Ave.
Then I won't duplicate your efforts. It's all yours. ;)

But seriously, if there's anything I can do to help out or facilitate the process, please let me know.

Why has no one expressed any surprise that she would walk alone at 4am, if there are dubious areas nearby? Is it just the invincibility of youth? I haven't even heard her parents wonder about this.

From what we've been told by posters who are in the area, female students on campus frequently walk alone at night.
Doesn't seem smart to me either.

Why has no one expressed any surprise that she would walk alone at 4am, if there are dubious areas nearby? Is it just the invincibility of youth? I haven't even heard her parents wonder about this.

Downtown most people walk. Cars are a pain there.
Its a nice community in that area. The students are gathered in that area almost exclusively. There is little to fear. Few are armed, and look at you like your a loon if you are. Its really safe.

Most of the time...

Guys, Its a rural community. They don't have the resources to stage this type of investigation like, say, New York City or Chicago.

They are mostly set up to catch drunk drivers, speeders, petty theft, domestic disturbance, and keep the students from all out anarchy, IMO. Mostly, they keep things out of the news as much as possible.

Google Crystal Grubb.

That's sure what it looks like to me.
Because after all this time, they don't appear to know much more than we do. Hope I am wrong.

Then I won't duplicate your efforts. It's all yours. ;)

But seriously, if there's anything I can do to help out or facilitate the process, please let me know.

No, please feel free. As I'm sure you've figured out, I'm not really good at that.

Or better yet why would a guy friend let her walk alone? I think if you are messed up drunk or stoned then fear leaves you and you don't think about it.

Jill Behrman was abducted and murdered in 2000.
Crystal Grubbs 2010.
Lauren Spierer missing 2011.

That's a 10 year gap ... I wonder if anyone living in the area went to jail in 2000-2002 and was released after 2008?

@Btown

Its an old cell phone.

Are you kidding me.Then I assume you have taken photography or are one.Because those pics are incredible

Thanks, Nope, not kidding. I maybe learned a little tiny bit from a friend back in the late '70's taking pics of the IU ball games and learning to develop them by hand.

Those were the days...

Or better yet why would a guy friend let her walk alone? I think if you are messed up drunk or stoned then fear leaves you and you don't think about it.

I remember late night parties at a friend's apartment by College Mall when I was Lauren's age and we would randomly decide to wobble over to Taco Bell, which is at least as far as Lauren was going. Just as dark. Alone.

I shudder to remember it. I can't judge this girl. I was just as careless when she was when I was her age. Maybe that's part of the reason why I feel so emotionally involved in her disappearance. There by the grace of God go I.

I'm not familar with the area at all...but

If she called "Rohn" at 4:15 to check on her phone' is it possible that she might have tried to walk back to Kilroy's to see if someone was still there cleaning up? I read somewhere that they close around 3:00am. If she was under the influence, maybe she tried wandering back to the bar. I have no idea where Kilroy's is in relation to the last street she was walking on. From the last street she was walking on to Kilroys, what is the distance, and what would you walk past to get to Kilroys? Sorry, if that is confusing, but I can't remember the last street she would have been walking on after JR saw her for the last time...she walked to the corner and then turned down another street? I think

If she was going back to Kilroys she either could have crossed College, walking on 11th, and turned south on Walnut. From there it's maybe two blocks. Maybe three.

It's dark that way so it seems unlikely that would have been her route, which means she would have turned to walk south on College and then crossed over at the intersection of 10th (where Salzmann's office and Waffle House is) or at the next block. However, that way is littered with broken beer bottles and she had no shoes on so that seems unlikely too. Either way she would have ended up on a camera.

Inspector Gidget, that's a good question. I think that it's certainly a possibility. They would have been nearby. She was a drunken, blonde, young college girl who was vulnerable. As someone mentioned, the homeless population often has higher levels of addiction and mental illness then the general population.

During the last search that I was a part of they sent me to People's Park, which is a little area off of Kirkwood and Dunn, several blocks from Smallwood, to hand out fliers (to give google mappers an idea, I was right across the street from Kilroy's on Kirkwood). Ever since I was a kid (and surely before) it's been a place where homeless people hang out, people deal pot, etc. Several of the street people, as they walked by, stopped to mention their concern for her, that a girl could be right downtown and simply vanish. It seemed to me that they were unnerved that such a thing could happen--if someone with a privelaged life could disappear without a trace what could happen to a random street person who sleeps in the woods?

My gut says no. I would be more willing to think that someone leaving the Hill would have snagged her.

Can you elaborate a little more on where "the Hill" is? And is it a building? A corner? A park? etc.

ETA: nevermind. ;) Didn't see the posts above. Thank you.

There is an old saying, nothing good ever happens after 3am...something like that. I can see walking about at midnight or even two, when the bars are still open...but an hour or more after the bars are closed, you are not going to run into too many people with either a good purpose or a sober mind...

And of course we don't know for sure that she did walk away alone. If she did, no one is faulting her at all, I am just wishing that no one of any age would do so, it just isn't safe. If not abducted, it is easy to be hit by a drunk driver, or if you are intoxicated yourself, to fall, to end up in water, etc...we have seen it all here on WS...

It's public housing, as Btown mentioned, and if you continue west on 11th Street you run into it. It's less than a mile from JR's by road.

Now, it's not Memphis or LA or even Indianapolis, but it is certainly Bloomington's skid row. My mom has told me horror stories about some homeless girl who was dismembered on Adams Street by some guy who lived there. He buried her and they found her hand sticking up out of the ground and, the story goes, the police used some luminal or something to show a path of blood leading to his door.

So it's an area that many local people whisper about and try to avoid (at least from my mom's generation).

There is an old saying, nothing good ever happens after 3am...something like that. I can see walking about at midnight or even two, when the bars are still open...but an hour or more after the bars are closed, you are not going to run into too many people with either a good purpose or a sober mind...

And of course we don't know for sure that she did walk away alone. If she did, no one is faulting her at all, I am just wishing that no one of any age would do so, it just isn't safe. If not abducted, it is easy to be hit by a drunk driver, or if you are intoxicated yourself, to fall, to end up in water, etc...we have seen it all here on WS...

I agree and walking barefoot too and maybe even messed up,Never good

It's public housing, as Btown mentioned, and if you continue west on 11th Street you run into it. It's less than a mile from JR's by road.

Now, it's not Memphis or LA or even Indianapolis, but it is certainly Bloomington's skid row. My mom has told me horror stories about some homeless girl who was dismembered on Adams Street by some guy who lived there. He buried her and they found her hand sticking up out of the ground and, the story goes, the police used some luminal or something to show a path of blood leading to his door.

So it's an area that many local people whisper about and try to avoid (at least from my mom's generation).

So how easy would it be to grab LS without anyone watching or camera's in sight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304