GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have missed it discussed earlier today, but, the suspects "truck" thing is getting to me.

What's the deal?

A ground, air and water search was initiated at about 10 a.m. after a retired police officer told Knox County authorities that, last Wednesday, he had seen a a truck matching the description of the suspect's vehicle parked along the road leading to Mohican State Park Lodge. He learned about the vehicle description from a news broadcast.

http://www.times-gazette.com/news/article/4934025

IIRC, there was some discussion in earlier threads about MH's size - this is from the Mt. Vernon News -

"A former girlfriend of Matthew Hoffman, who is charged in connection with the kidnapping of Sarah Maynard, 13, from her Apple Valley home a week ago, filed a report with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office alleging he choked her last month. The report shows she told a county dispatcher who took the call, that she thought he was going to kill her.

In the report, the Mount Vernon woman whose identity the News is withholding, said she went to Hoffman’s house to retrieve her vehicle. During a discussion, she alleged Hoffman choked her and pinned her to the floor.

Hoffman, who according to the report is 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, allegedly then released the woman, who then left the residence and called the sheriff’s office."

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/17/report-against-hoffman-filed-by-former-girlfriend

I might have missed it discussed earlier today, but, the suspects "truck" thing is getting to me.

What's the deal?
My guess is media reporting error. What a shock. /sarcasm

May have been Tina's truck, MH's car, or the alleged silver truck reportedly seen at MH's home and taken away by LE. The latter...seems like it was a media reporting error, too, since the presser did not put up a photo of it so that locals could turn in tips on seeing it last week on Wednesday and Thursday.

The searchers must be finding all kinds of things that may or may not be evidence, how frustrating.

Has the Duct Tape been mentioned here before? I don't remember reading about it, but have been having a hard time keeping up.

If the Duct Tape was used to bound the victim(s), then it would likely have their DNA on it, right?

CM stood protectively near her find, uncertain whether she had come across an important clue - or a piece of trash.

A boy-sized, white Nike athletic shoe, a slice of its heel missing from the blue-and-gray sole, lay upside down, barely touching the water of one of the quarries that form the centerpieces of Foundation Park.

Searchers were credited yesterday with finding what authorities said could be "significant" evidence: a tarp and some trash bags with duct tape.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...strated-as-they-hunt-for-miracle.html?sid=101

The searchers must be finding all kinds of things that may or may not be evidence, how frustrating.

Has the Duct Tape been mentioned here before? I don't remember reading about it, but have been having a hard time keeping up.

If the Duct Tape was used to bound the victim(s), then it would likely have their DNA on it, right?
The info that was intially reported was trash bags that were taped, and I haven't seen anything reported about "duct tape" (although that would seem to be the logical type of tape used).

I haven't seen anything released about the details of what was used to bind and gag (can barely type that) Sarah.

Obviously LE has to keep a lot of info close to their chest for many reasons.

Thanks for posting that...I read the article after my previous response.

I'd been wondering if the searchers were "guarding" their finds until LE check them out (that's what I would do).

Not sure about your last question, but theoretically, yes, I would think it would (victim's DNA and the perp's unless they used gloves or other means)...but why would such duct tape used that way be found away from the victim?

I wonder if this timeframe is accurate. This is the first time that I heard when the purchase was made, but before makes it sound like this wasn't a spur of the moment crime.

"Suspect Matthew J Hoffman was known to have bought tarps and trash bags before the three vanished along with 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, Herrmann's daughter who was found alive Sunday bound in the basement of Hoffman's home."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...ting-frustrated-as-they-hunt-for-miracle.html

What's the deal?
I found it equally puzzling, that the article says
The search was called off just before 1 p.m.

This wording implies to me that it's no longer needed, such as when the people have been found somewhere else, not that it has been completed. :waitasec:

I wonder if this timeframe is accurate. This is the first time that I heard when the purchase was made, but before makes it sound like this wasn't a spur of the moment crime.

"Hoffman was known to have bought tarps and trash bags before the three vanished along with 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, Herrmann's daughter who was found alive Sunday bound in the basement of Hoffman's home."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...ting-frustrated-as-they-hunt-for-miracle.html

Wow. Premeditation... :furious:

All along, I thought he just wanted Sarah but got surprised by the others and had to think up something to do with them as he went along. This changes everything... Thanks for posting.

Forgive me for quoting myself AND carrying over a post from the last thread?

The article below has been altered since this afternoon, when Nursebeeme originally posted it.

The editor has changed this:

"vehicle matching one that the suspect might have had access to "

to this:

"he had seen a truck matching the description of the suspect's vehicle ".

Seems like a very specific edit, to me. I am not saying the suspect has a truck, perhaps it is the F150 of Tina's.

But, if it IS the suspects truck, and LE has got new leads since the vehicle info has been let out, why are they not releasing the info on the suspects truck???

Today, 01:42 PM
nursebeeme
user_offline.gif

my glass is half full

they have been searching mohican area
Law enforcement officers and park rangers called off a search of the Pleasant Hill Lake area where they had been looking for three Knox County residents who have been missing since last Wednesday.

A ground, air and water search was initiated at about 10 a.m. after a vehicle matching one that the suspect might have had access to was spotted along the road leading to Mohican State Park Lodge.

As of 12:50 p.m., officials called off the search with nothing found.

A ground, air and water search was initiated at about 10 a.m. after a retired police officer told Knox County authorities that, last Wednesday, he had seen a a truck matching the description of the suspect's vehicle parked along the road leading to Mohican State Park Lodge. He learned about the vehicle description from a news broadcast.

Wow. Premeditation... :furious:

All along, I thought he just wanted Sarah but got surprised by the others and had to think up something to do with them as he went along. This changes everything... Thanks for posting.

Respectfully, we're jumping the gun here. It doesn't change anything until there is proof that the tarp(s) and garbage bags were used in a crime. Even then, it could be argued that they were originally bought for innocent reasons. Until matching items, preferably with MH's fingerprints on them, are found connected to victims, the receipt is merely a clue.

JMO

A vehicle he may have had access to would describe the silver truck parked in front of his house, which LE took on Sunday?

Does this mean THAT truck was his?

"Hoffman was known to have bought tarps and trash bags before the three vanished along with 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, Herrmann's daughter who was found alive Sunday bound in the basement of Hoffman's home."

bold and big by me...

this is exactly what I was coming back to comment on..... there was also another article or post that said the receipt was found in tina's home..

so, if he comes to the house with his new purchases... say to do some work (ruse)... drops the receipt there and this is how they catch him... well... this surly speaks to premeditation..

I also refer back to the radio interview I posted in the last thread with the SA for his case in colorado. He described that crime as premeditated as well as the actions of a very sick individual.

It seems that he planned this out.

MOO

On the 10:00 PM news on WTTE 28 in Columbus tonight, it was reported that there has been no credit card or financial activity of any kind since the two women disappeared last week and that hopes of the missing trio being found alive is diminishing each day. It also did say that there will be more ground searches tomorrow.

Forgive me for quoting myself AND carrying over a post from the last thread?

The article below has been altered since this afternoon, when Nursebeeme originally posted it.

The editor has changed this:

"vehicle matching one that the suspect might have had access to "

to this:

"he had seen a truck matching the description of the suspect's vehicle ".

Seems like a very specific edit, to me. I am not saying the suspect has a truck, perhaps it is the F150 of Tina's.

But, if it IS the suspects truck, and LE has got new leads since the vehicle info has been let out, why are they not releasing the info on the suspects truck???
I think the edit reflects back on what the sheriff said in the presser... that there was confusion on the vehicle descriptions released yesterday... he reiterated that they were, in fact, in custody of police. He also, in a very kind way, said they had received a lot of tips on vehicles matching those descriptions but also a lot of questions on if they were still missing, etc...

Did I not read that they first noticed him sitting in his car near a bike trail, not far from where Tina's truck was found? This was the same day her truck was found, but IDK whether it was before or after her truck was found.

ETA
Correction: bike trail
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20101116/NEWS01/11160306/1002/NEWS01

The sheriff said authorities first questioned Hoffman on Thursday, the day after Herrmann failed to show up for work at the Dairy Queen. Police found him sitting in his car near a bike trail opposite property owned by Kenyon College, near where Herrmann's pickup truck was found, Barber said.

Did I not read that they first noticed him sitting in his car near a hiking trail, not far from where Tina's truck was found? This was the same day her truck was found, but IDK whether it was before or after her truck was found.
yes, it was in one of the pressers as well. Considering deputies responded to the area after the truck was found I would think it would be after??? but that is just a guess

They may have connected the receipt to him, but that was not how they found him. At least not if you believe what was reported in that news article. :)

bold and big by me...

this is exactly what I was coming back to comment on..... there was also another article or post that said the receipt was found in tina's home..

so, if he comes to the house with his new purchases... say to do some work (ruse)... drops the receipt there and this is how they catch him... well... this surly speaks to premeditation..

I also refer back to the radio interview I posted in the last thread with the SA for his case in colorado. He described that crime as premeditated as well as the actions of a very sick individual.

It seems that he planned this out.

MOO

Wow, I hadn't heard the receipt was possibly found in her home. I didn't read the article, do you by chance have a link anymore to it? Thanks

"I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best," said Jacki Mace, a manager at Sunset Lane Tanning, where Herrmann visited daily and Sprang visited less frequently but on a regular basis.

Mace, 20, said Herrmann was last in the salon Wednesday morning. She called Herrmann "a sweetheart."

Ah, that's where I read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member