The Sidebar - Harris Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not expecting a hasty verdict. Jury has many charges to consider, lots of evidence to consider, videos to review, etc. This will take time, and I hope they DO take time to carefully consider all aspects of the case. Justice for Cooper!

They only have to look at the evidence if they have a reason too. They will only look at the videos if there is a disagreement and look back on (like we have done) They may not have a need to as a group. jmho

If they follow their instructions, what they will deliberate first is whether or not the State met it's burden of proof that RH intended to kill Cooper. After that, the burden of proof required to convict on 1st degree CC, then 2nd degree CC, including a finding for each that RH acted with criminal negligence. Those charges are predicates for the felony murder charges, not stand-alone murder charges.

Yep. But if they feel it was an accident they could finish deliberations before sundown . If not it's one of the two felony murders (underlying felony being one of the cruelty charges) or malice murder.

If the jury votes guilty on count 1, do they still have to deliberate on counts 2-5? I think deliberating on charges 6-8 will be quick and not require much time to reach a verdict on.

That's right. They have to determine that state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he deliberately committed murder and also prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not an accident.

They also have to start at the top, and work way down correct?

Yep. But if they feel it was an accident they could finish deliberations before sundown . If not it's one of the two felony murders (underlying felony being one of the cruelty charges) or malice murder.

I'm not sure the jury MUST convict on felony murder, even if they find him guilty on or one or both of the CC cruelty charges. The felony murder charges are separate charges, requiring a separate vote.

I'm on the east coast. It's almost 5pm, and this is a sideBAR thread.....you thinking what I'm thinking?

Cheers...as we await the jury's decision.

They also have to start at the top, and work way down correct?

Not really. Some of the charges have to do with a crime being committed while committing another crime, right? So they have to deliberate on the "other crime" (sexting to minor) first. I think the sexting to minor is a no-brainer, though.

Can someone repost the charges again? (I'm thinking someone has them handy.)

jmo

Edited because the person I was quoting edited their own post, so I didn't want it left up.

Self delete after another self delete. ;) Leaving only this part - that it's really good advice to scroll on by, and sometimes the Ignore button is a WS'ers best friend. :D

There's that pesky "malicious intent" phrase again.

It's obvious to me that JRH said that for a reason.

I hope that members can follow the rules and not be rude . I would hate the Mods to shut this down now as we are awaiting a verdict. Please agree to disagree.

Is the Judge likely to dismiss the jury today and have them begin deliberations tomorrow morning? Instructions seem to taking a long time.

Is RH falling asleep? Someone needs to give him some coffee.

This charge is confusing. I'd need a big white board to be keep the felony murder and child cruelty charges clear.

Is the Judge likely to dismiss the jury today and have them begin deliberations tomorrow morning? Instructions seem to taking a long time.

And I think they are taking tomorrow off for elections, IIRC...?

ETA: OH, half day----thanks

Is the Judge fecken tired? This is where she should be completely sharp and focused. Poor jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie