Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know this bothered me as well. I am a big defender of the right to bear arms. I know that I read it had been 6 months or so since she had taken him, and wondered when she did take him was it when he was still in a "good" place in life. I know that in the week or so before it was said that she felt that she was losing him. But I am holding out on the police report on just how AL did get access to the weapons. She seemed to be a responsible person.
Would it matter if the weapons were locked, but he was able to break the lock or secure the key?

He acquired possession of the weapons somehow. That much we know.

Same tragedy.

I'm saying that an acquaintance's comments about someone are not as fully developed or reliable as a close friend, professional colleague who one works closely with or family member's comments. (I don't think this statement is a revolutionary, new discovery; I think almost everyone would agree it is a well accepted truth)

As a former member of the media I understand the role and objectives of the media. My professional background as a former journalist provides me with a unique insight into news coverage and the strength of credibility of a published or broadcast report.

With that in mind, I have witnessed a lot of speculation being published on the front page of the Tri-State newspapers and leading local and national coverage of this tragedy. Why do I refer to this as speculation? Simply put: almost none of the statements regarding Adam Lanza or his victim Nancy Lanza have been double sourced. For example, a story that got major coverage was that Adam Lanza targeted Sandy Hook Elementary School because Joshua Flashman stated “From what I’ve been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed.” “Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off.” Unfortunately following the "news" from Flashman being published and broadcast and the talking head shrinks endlessly discussing this being the motive, Flashman's father, Richard Flashman, a pastor at Beacon Hill Evangelical Free Church released a statement that Joshua's comments were based on rumor and speculation and should not be taken as fact.

This is just one of countless examples of what is being widely reported by countless media outlets as "news" whereas in many examples, in reality it is simply rubbish. [Do we even know if Adam even owned a copy of Call of Duty or similar games or even a gaming console that one could play such games? Do we know if the basement that Adam lived in was covered in posters of various military equipment? Do we know how Nancy stored her firearms or if she took her son's to the gun range?]

It is times like this that we as the public need to step back and examine the larger picture of the tragedy and the media to allow the families of the victims to grieve without a camera being shoved in their face for ratings.

I think a barber would probably be rather well qualified to comment about how someone behaved during haircuts. Beyond that, maybe not. But who would know better how someone interacted during a haircut than the person he interacted with?

BBM: We know that he had a computer because the police said he smashed his hard drive. I understand that you can play Call of Duty and many other similar games on PC.

AL didn't use his father's guns, and his father didn't live with AL. So what difference would it make?

You are right, I mean in the end if AL was obsessed with guns and had a plan, chances are he would have figured out how to get them anyhow. I guess I am just in shock his Mom would feed his frenzy with enabling him to be a hermit. It's also obvious she was his financial source to buy what he wanted. I do understand Autism spectrum and how he was interested (obsessed) in military, but its to bad they couldn't have directed it away from guns and into other things. ....granted all of this is if reports are even true regarding his basement being covered in military posters and such.

Well-said, but in the meantime, between the event and the officially sanctioned version, what - a censorship of silence?

I'm not suggesting any sort of conspiracy. I do not believe that this is anything more than a monster reaching his breaking point and committing crimes against humanity to the most extreme degree.

Yes are there questions about the lack of follow-up on WCBS TV's Lou Young's live report describing that he witnessed the man in camo pants and a black jacket being pulled from the woods in handcuffs and looking the parents in the eyes and saying "I didn't do this". (Young's live report aired during CBS national's live coverage of the shooting with Nora O'Donnell as the anchor.)

I truly believe we need to step back and wait for that the facts will come out about everything that has been "reported" about Nancy Lanza and Adam Lanza. The 24-hour news cycle is not conducive to waiting for facts to be available before publishing or broadcasting information; this is such a horrific change in real journalism that troubles me beyond words.

On the subject of the 24-hour news cycle and people like Dr Phil exploiting a tragedy under the guise of "helping"; IMO as much as the media is blaming "violent video games", "violent movies and TV shows" and similar as "causes" for such horrific school shootings, the one element that merits inclusion to such a discussion is the 24-hour news coverage of the tragedy and the shooter/reasons for the shooting should be included in the discussion as, in many cases, the school shooters lives being endlessly spotlighted by the media cause the public to remember the name of the shooter forever....

AL didn't use his father's guns, and his father didn't live with AL. So what difference would it make?

We don't know if going to the gun range was a family activity when the Lanza's were still married. We don't know for sure if Nancy or Peter ever took Adam to the gun range. We don't know if the Lanza's went hunting together or if they were even hunters. We don't know more than we do know; this causing endless speculation. Studies have proven that the public remembers the first reporting of events more than the public remembers the true facts that come out with the patience of time.

Would it matter if the weapons were locked, but he was able to break the lock or secure the key?

He acquired possession of the weapons somehow. That much we know.

Same tragedy.

Yes to me it matters. Gun safes that I am aware of don't have key locks and you can't break them. Yes he did gain access to them. But I do wonder what he would have done had he known that an armed security guard was at the school.jmo

I'm not suggesting any sort of conspiracy. I do not believe that this is anything more than a monster reaching his breaking point and committing crimes against humanity to the most extreme degree.

Yes are there questions about the lack of follow-up on WCBS TV's Lou Young's live report describing that he witnessed the man in camo pants and a black jacket being pulled from the woods in handcuffs and looking the parents in the eyes and saying "I didn't do this". (Young's live report aired during CBS national's live coverage of the shooting with Nora O'Donnell as the anchor.)

I truly believe we need to step back and wait for that the facts will come out about everything that has been "reported" about Nancy Lanza and Adam Lanza. The 24-hour news cycle is not conducive to waiting for facts to be available before publishing or broadcasting information; this is such a horrific change in real journalism that troubles me beyond words.

On the subject of the 24-hour news cycle and people like Dr Phil exploiting a tragedy under the guise of "helping"; IMO as much as the media is blaming "violent video games", "violent movies and TV shows" and similar as "causes" for such horrific school shootings, the one element that merits inclusion to such a discussion is the 24-hour news coverage of the tragedy and the shooter/reasons for the shooting should be included in the discussion as, in many cases, the school shooters lives being endlessly spotlighted by the media cause the public to remember the name of the shooter forever....
I didn't use the word conspiracy. I used the word censorship.

Do you propose a system like Britain's, one in which, after an arrest has been made, the flow of information about a case stops till trial, under the heavy manners of fines against offending media, and threats against their liberty to publish or broadcast?

who was the poster that talked about the ink and the whiteout?

I think we won't know anything for a few months until the official report comes out (I just heard this on npr so no link)

we don't know what the hello is up and what the hello is down and who did what, when, where, and why.

officially, that is.

I am simply replying to highlight the words of the awesome WS moderator Nursebeeme whose comments are spot-on.

The man was interviewed in some news outlet or another and turned out to be a Sandy Hook student's parent on his way to the school.

Reminder!

Please take all 'gun control' discussion to the thread we set up in our private area.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

As quoted from JBean: "We know nothing concrete about the family dynamics.
As posted before almost all accounts of Nancy as a mother portray her as a lovely devoted mother.
Attacking her integrity and her choices will not be tolerated at this time. Not only is this a victim friendly site- but we have not got the first clue what is or is not true as it relates to the shooter and his mother.

She has paid the ultimate price. leave her alone. Leave the family alone, the whole family.

TIA
fran

I am so glad to see JBean's post.

I think this mother has been unfairly targeted by the media and made into something she isnt. The more twisted they can make her become the more they know the viewers will gather to read what they have to say.

Even making something out of a basement without windows when countless basements have no windows.

I think Nancy was a lovely devoted mother who loved both of her sons with all her heart. She did the very best she could for Adam out of love, imo.

I really pay no attention to what others have said in the media about Nancy that didnt even know this woman. Every person that did know her has had nothing but wonderful things to say about her. She lived for her boys and sadly she was killed by one of them that she loved.

I truly hope she is at peace now. It had to be hard at times raising a child who was deemed different but imo she never stopped trying to do what she thought was best for Adam.

I'm saying that an acquaintance's comments about someone are not as fully developed or reliable as a close friend, professional colleague who one works closely with or family member's comments. (I don't think this statement is a revolutionary, new discovery; I think almost everyone would agree it is a well accepted truth)

As a former member of the media I understand the role and objectives of the media. My professional background as a former journalist provides me with a unique insight into news coverage and the strength of credibility of a published or broadcast report.

With that in mind, I have witnessed a lot of speculation being published on the front page of the Tri-State newspapers and leading local and national coverage of this tragedy. Why do I refer to this as speculation? Simply put: almost none of the statements regarding Adam Lanza or his victim Nancy Lanza have been double sourced. For example, a story that got major coverage was that Adam Lanza targeted Sandy Hook Elementary School because Joshua Flashman stated “From what I’ve been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed.” “Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off.” Unfortunately following the "news" from Flashman being published and broadcast and the talking head shrinks endlessly discussing this being the motive, Flashman's father, Richard Flashman, a pastor at Beacon Hill Evangelical Free Church released a statement that Joshua's comments were based on rumor and speculation and should not be taken as fact.

This is just one of countless examples of what is being widely reported by countless media outlets as "news" whereas in many examples, in reality it is simply rubbish. [Do we even know if Adam even owned a copy of Call of Duty or similar games or even a gaming console that one could play such games? Do we know if the basement that Adam lived in was covered in posters of various military equipment? Do we know how Nancy stored her firearms or if she took her son's to the gun range?]

It is times like this that we as the public need to step back and examine the larger picture of the tragedy and the media to allow the families of the victims to grieve without a camera being shoved in their face for ratings.

:goodpost:

Thank you.

This one has been addressed, correct me if I am wrong but this was a father/teacher at the school and was looking for his daughter. I forgot his name.

Maybe the pants just happened to be worn on a bad day. it had nothing to do with it so I do not feel it needs to be covered more by media but that is moo.

We don't know if going to the gun range was a family activity when the Lanza's were still married. We don't know for sure if Nancy or Peter ever took Adam to the gun range. We don't know if the Lanza's went hunting together or if they were even hunters. We don't know more than we do know; this causing endless speculation. Studies have proven that the public remembers the first reporting of events more than the public remembers the true facts that come out with the patience of time.

I am pretty sure AL and PL have been separated for years and years.

Yes to me it matters. Gun safes that I am aware of don't have key locks and you can't break them. Yes he did gain access to them. But I do wonder what he would have done had he known that an armed security guard was at the school.jmo
Or if he had not had access to an assault rifle in the first place.

On CNN, they showed pictures of all the victims with the song "Amazing Grace". However, they did not include Nancy Lanza. What's up with that?

I didn't use the word conspiracy. I used the word censorship.

Do you propose a system like Britain's, one in which, after an arrest has been made, the flow of information about a case stops till trial, under the heavy manners of fines against offending media, and threats against their liberty to publish?

I wasn't suggesting that you used the word conspiracy, in reading the term "media censorship" you used in asking if I thought there was "media censorship" I used the term "conspiracy" in my reply because an agreed upon censorship by media outlets would be considered a conspiracy. Apologize if you felt I was putting words in your mouth; not my intention.

wfgodot I must say that I really am impressed by your thoughtful, insightful thoughts and questions raised; thank you for sharing them with all of us.

In college I double majored in Journalism and Politics (with a focus on Constitutional Law), I value and understand the principles of the Constitution and all of its Amendments. I feel the only way we should alter such Constitutional principles of government or rights guaranteed to the citizens is through the Amendment process described in the Constitution. I mention this because it is important background for me to share as I respond to your question about the British system.

While I do feel that in the modern media era and 24-hour news cycle that the British and Canadian regulations on the media's reporting about a case following an arrest and prior to trial probably do allow for a greater degree of fairness in the trial of the accused, I understand that in America these rules violate Constitutional principles and therefore not a realistic option.

The most important change that I would recommend is the return of the ombudsman to ALL media outlets and the media doing a better job in reporting mistakes/misinformation/sensationalized "news" by devoting as much broadcast time or print space to such corrections as were devoted to the original inaccurate reporting. I feel that the 24-hour news channels must do a better job of identifying which programs are news programs (CNN daytime programs, MSNBC Live, Fox Report or Special Report) and which programs are entertainment/opinion programming (CNN's Morgan, MSNBC Sharpton, O'Donnell, Maddow, Matthews, Fox's O'Rielly, Hannity, etc and Nancy Grace). I also think that the entertainment/opinion programs should be forced by the Ombudsman to make on-air corrections of misreporting and such.

This one has been addressed, correct me if I am wrong but this was a father/teacher at the school and was looking for his daughter. I forgot his name.

Maybe the pants just happened to be worn on a bad day. it had nothing to do with it so I do not feel it needs to be covered more by media but that is moo.

Thanks manzana and donjeta, I didn't know that. I do appreciate both of you sharing that. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu