TX - Mona Nelson charged w/ Murder of Jonathan Foster, 12, Houston, 24 Dec 2010 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
8/12/2013 - 9:00am - Court Trial

I thought it was odd they would start a trial on a Friday. :waitasec:
So this is going to be the ACTUAL trial, since they don't have to do jury selection, right?

We have this, with no link.

I'll email some reporters. Give me a few minutes.

Salem

ETA: There is a note on the facebook that trial starts Tuesday, which would be the 13th, right?

ETA (again): email sent to KHOU in Houston asking if they will be following, livestreaming or tweeting.
Sent to CHRON.com
Sent to KSAT.com (they have live streaming capability)

I hope we will find out the motive, and how she would know he was all alone that night.

Sorry I don't post it every time because it's in this thread so many times.

http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/Search.aspx

Email the reporters on those old articles and ask them to cover it! :please:

Per MsFacetious's link to Harris County District Clerk...

Case #139496401010
Trial setting still showing for Monday.

8/12/2013...9:00 AM

ETA: Click CRIMINAL tab ... search NELSON, MONA ... select the first case listing ... click SETTINGS tab.

Thanks for researching, Salem. :)

I have limited time and capability here. Spotty Wifi, sewing theater costumes, & prepping for kid's bday party on Monday. I'll have to follow the trial via iPhone off-and-on between partying and serving cake. (The sad irony is not lost on me.)

Been waiting 2.5 years for this day....

KHOU is telling me the trial will be Aug. 13th - that is Tuesday.

That's the most "solid" info I can get at the moment.

Salem

Okay - finally I see that the next date is 8/12/2013. What the heck! "Next/Last Setting Date 8/12/201"

We may only hear about it after the fact. Darn.

KHOU is telling me the trial will be Aug. 13th - that is Tuesday.

That's the most "solid" info I can get at the moment.

Salem

Okay - finally I see that the next date is 8/12/2013. What the heck! "Next/Last Setting Date 8/12/201"

We may only hear about it after the fact. Darn.

Is it that bad that I have less-than-100%-faith in MSM fact verification? ;)

Guess to be safe, we can tune in on the 12th and see.

Thanks Salem.

:/ this is just going to quietly happen isn't it?

Per the Harris County District Clerk's Office (Houston, Harris County, TX), Mona Nelson's trial is scheduled to start on Monday, 8/12/13.

I verified this with Judge Jeannine Barr's clerk this afternoon.

There will be no jury. Nelson made the decision to have her trial with the presiding judge which is Judge Barr.

Connie Spence (Harris County District Attorney's Office) will be prosecuting this case.

The State is not seeking the death penalty!

Per trial docket for Judge Barr, trial starts at 9 a.m. CDT -
182nd State District Court - Houston - Harris County, Tx.

http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/edocs/public/CaseDetails.aspx?Get=KV0A+KypPPoBygczfYmstlS6Kyw2KMReZ4u4VJ55eyE4B5SP9hJfPN3QRCCG2x0vX3BecL1iOzrHmLSkl59xXrg/nS0kW5iUBC6KPFq31P8=
Harris County District Clerk - Houston, TX -- Mona Yvette Nelson -- Settings

Per Deborah Wrigley, KTRK reporter - Houston, TX, Mona Nelson's trial is expected to last two (2) weeks.
~~~~~

Accused killer declines jury trial for capital murder case

Updated at 05:28 PM today
August 9, 2013

by Deborah Wrigley
KTRK - Houston, TX

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two and a half years ago, a 12-year-old Houston boy was kidnapped and killed. On Monday, his accused killer will go on trial for capital murder.

Mona Nelson will not be tried by a jury, but by a judge. That was her choice, but in a capital murder trial it's almost never done.

Snipped:

"The state only has to prove the case to one person rather than having to convince 12 persons," Spence explained.

Snipped:

The state is not asking for the death penalty if she's convicted.

Read more & view video:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9201509

7871328_600x338.jpg

Any ideas why the state would NOT seek the death penalty on this one? Is there some criteria not met???

I cannot fathom a satisfying sentence for this case, but the DP was as close as it might get for me. And not for the sake of retribution, but for justice alone. Gawd, this is depressing.

Judge Jeannine Barr
182nd Criminal District Court
Houston, Harris County, TX

judgejbarr.jpg

Judge Jeannine Barr is a native of Baton Rouge, Louisiana and a graduate of Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond Louisiana . She received her Bachelors of Arts in English and Journalism Education in 1981 and taught high school English for a short period before attending law school at the Paul M. Hebert Law Center on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge. She graduated from law school in 1985 and moved to Houston where she began her legal career at the Harris County District Attorneys Office. She served as an Assistant District Attorney from 1986 until 1994 and achieved the level of Chief Prosecutor . During that time she prosecuted hundreds of cases including nine capital murder cases.

Read more:

http://www.harriscountygop.com/judges/BioJudgeJBarr.htm
Harris County GOP -- Bio - Judge J. Barr

I believe that the trial was moved from Friday to Monday for one of the following reasons.

1. Who starts a trial on a Friday?
2. They don't need to pick a jury, they go straight into the trial.
3. Scheduling conflict for someone.

It's possible that Monday is a sort of pre-trial (perhaps ruling on all these motions that have been filed?)
Maybe the ACTUAL trial itself starts on Tuesday? (According to MSM it starts Tuesday.)

Though I don't consider MSM to be terribly reliable... I AM grateful that SOMEONE did an article!

Another motion I noticed:

SUPPRESS ILLEGAL ID

http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/Search.aspx

I wonder who made the ID that they feel is illegal?

I am very shocked they are not seeking the DP for this case-esp the horrible nature of the crime and being in Texas!!
If there were a case for the DP this animal is it!!!

I wonder though if the reason is- they believe she has other crimes she has committed and they are going to keep her alive to find out!

And I do believe she is crazy for going with a judge and not a jury!

Today is the day guys.... the trial starts today. :seeya:

I suspect it will be a day of hearing motions and the trial itself will start Tuesday.

The reason we are here:

stii.jpg

I can't believe they aren't going for the death penalty!
Praying that justice is finally served for this sweet boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members