Strange Sun Phenomena in S. Florida

Awesome site!

I've seen plenty of 'sun dogs', pieces of rainbows in the sky, usually during the winter, but never anything like this.

Pink sun in Florida? Hmmmm.....must be the Flamingo Sun Syndrome.

My grandfather use to say that a ring like that around the moon meant snow.

I have seen that many times before but never around the sun.
I do not recall the term for it but the sun halo (probably the moon one too) is created from Ice Prisms in the upper atmosphere and warm weather and cold colliding or some such thing..

Its probably not that strange in other places but for South Florida it is:)

I have a sneaking suspicion Tom Cruise got something to do with that. Amraann did you see this in person? It's way cool. Could all Florida see it? Watch for the space craft tonight cause TomKat will be getting out. Seriously, thank you for sharing.

It looks beautiful, would loved to know if it has a meaning. Around here we say a ring around the moon means rain. Never heard of a ring around the sun before though.

My dad was in the Airforce and used to know when there would be a ring around the moon. It usually looked green. He said it was gases, least that is how explained it to me at 6. We would all have our dinner then he would lift each of us little ones to make sure we got a good view of the ring. He also said it was fumes from all that green cheese going bad!

I have a sneaking suspicion Tom Cruise got something to do with that. Amraann did you see this in person? It's way cool. Could all Florida see it? Watch for the space craft tonight cause TomKat will be getting out. Seriously, thank you for sharing.

I did see it in person ... On my little Island it was all anyone was talking about! (everyone called everyone else .. all 22 of us LLOL)

I could be seen From Key Largo to Key West .. Miami could have seen it if not for cloud coverage there yesterday.

I did see it in person ... On my little Island it was all anyone was talking about! (everyone called everyone else .. all 22 of us LLOL)

I could be seen From Key Largo to Key West .. Miami could have seen it if not for cloud coverage there yesterday.

Wow. The photo is absolutely beautiful. What a spectacle.

You're right about the crystals around the moon, I've seen that before. It is a farmer's tale about snow coming.

Say Amraann, have you ever seen the flash of green glow from the setting sun just as is falls below the water? I saw it once at Mallory Square, during one of the nightly sunset celebrations there.

BarnGoddess:

I caught a photo of the green flash while in Hawaii. You have to blow the photo up a little and you can see the green. I'll go look for it. I've backed it up to .... somewhere safe. I'll let you know when I come across it. It's amazing. I don't know what it is and never heard of such a thing until my DH told me about it while we were dating. Oh I thought he was so interesting with all of his knowledge of stuff like that. I've always called him my magic man.

BarnGoddess:

I caught a photo of the green flash while in Hawaii. You have to blow the photo up a little and you can see the green. I'll go look for it. I've backed it up to .... somewhere safe. I'll let you know when I come across it. It's amazing. I don't know what it is and never heard of such a thing until my DH told me about it while we were dating. Oh I thought he was so interesting with all of his knowledge of stuff like that. I've always called him my magic man.
They are rare, generally. Glad you were lucky enough to get a photo.

You're right about the crystals around the moon, I've seen that before. It is a farmer's tale about snow coming.

Say Amraann, have you ever seen the flash of green glow from the setting sun just as is falls below the water? I saw it once at Mallory Square, during one of the nightly sunset celebrations there.

Yes!! I have seen it ... Its very weird and I always wonder what caused it??

I love Mallory Square!!! Hubby and I went a month or so back and had mojitos!
LL & S I would love to see that photo!

We've had something similiar around the moon, here. F R E A K Y !!!

My daughter and I stared at it when this happened to us and for about ten minutes we thought we had done permenant damage to our eyes because ALL the streetlights and headlights were very PINK and I forget what color the tail lights were, but it was very altered to us!

Very cool and so beautiful!

I've seen the same thing around the moon too...but never the sun. I'd love to have seen it with my own eyes. Bet it was a sight to behold!

I've always heard that a ring around the moon means trouble is a'brewing.
Wonder what it means when it's around the sun?

Very cool and so beautiful!

I've seen the same thing around the moon too...but never the sun. I'd love to have seen it with my own eyes. Bet it was a sight to behold!

I've always heard that a ring around the moon means trouble is a'brewing.
Wonder what it means when it's around the sun?

I would like to know as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back