KS KS - Kim Beard, Parsons, circa 1950s

The info entered on ancestry.com may have been entered as early as the early 1990s as that's when a version of the site began compiling floppy disk information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com). It officially became ancestry.com in 1997.

In a way the case seems a perfect "Where's Waldo?" -- an innocuously sad story with a paucity of info on MSM about it.

Crabbe is also the tree name on ancestry.com. Looks like they did this in 2004. Look for Beard about 2/3 down the page.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crabbe/2004Trees/2004Typed/tree113.html

Found more. Obituary for his aunt saying Kim's status is unknown. I wonder if the 1963 date is when he went missing.

http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/a...cle_6d253cd2-6cf9-593e-818b-f9c6c3f26bf6.html

I just wanted to add a tidbit of information that I cannot quite make the direct link to yet. There is a Beard family of Michigan (not mentioned in this obit) and seems the 70/80 year old parents named a son Kim David Beard as well as Kim David Beard being the registered name on Beard's Party Store in Michigan. Could this Man be a brother to our Kim? Some random people finder sites also list this man with an AkA as Kim David, so I am a little confused. Is it at all possible that Kim changed his name and named a son as his namesake? The initials are the same (KD) interestingly.

I was able to confirm the fathers name of Earl and the year of death for the brother as 1953 from an old newspaper article.

Still peeking around..

Mods, take this one down at will, absolutely no MSM I've found, but an interesting tale from my hometown. Kim Beard's pic recently appeared on one of my hometown's FB pages along with a short backstory -- happy and carefree, a young man bearing a fish walked along, a shot from the local paper. But there was more -- shortly after the shot, his brother (and I believe Kim accompanied him on the trip) had been killed when Parsons Boy Scout Troop 2 journeyed to Colorado on a camping trip in 1954.

Kim was the younger brother of Doug, killed on the expedition, and, a few years later, "took off" and was never seen again. His parents have never given up the search, and another member of Troop 2 -- based at the local Presbyterian Church -- reported the incident on FB (I believe he accompanied the troop to Colorado; he was a member) and has searched for Kim throughout the years he's gone missing. (And is a hugely responsible source.)

Just found this site and want to thank those who have posted.
Doug Beard was a very special friend of mine when I was in the 11th grade and he was in the 9th. We never were a steady couple but shared so much together. We were both in the Parsons JC/HS marching band. The summer of his accident we spent hours on our porch swing just talking about things we viewed as important to us. I was devastated when the news of his accident came to me.
I have had a number of connections with Doug's family: My husband, Marvin Blankinship worked at the Topeka Capital Journal with Doug's father Earl for many years. (beginning 1972 until Earl retired) And Earl did talk with Marvin about his boys, including Doug and Kim. Earl told Marvin when Kim left the military he never returned home and they did not know what happened to him. Earl indicated they had tried every way possible to find him but never could.
When we moved to Topeka, I coordinated some of the Special Ed. programs for USD 501. One of the paras in this program was married to Calvin Beard (I think) the youngest son. Later, after Earl and his wife moved to Omaha, we contacted them occasionally to see if they had ever heard from Kim and they had not. Martha Beard, their daughter, and her family lived in Omaha. Kim and Doug's parents moved to Omaha in order to be near Martha and her family.
Within the last year, Marvin & I have been finding the obituaries of the parents via Google. We appreciate the postings of those who remember this family and share their loss.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back