U.S. officials verify specific and credible - but unconfirmed - 9/11 threat

I guess the 9/11 ceremony is still scheduled for Ground Zero - 20 blocks around the area are to be closed for screening. I has to be a mess to screen so many. The news said traffic was already backed up for miles. Not a good time to be a trucker or delivery person.

I live in Orlando and I have always worried that Disney would be an easy target. Security, quite frankly, is a joke. And with all the children and families, it would hit an emotional chord with a lot of people (as would any target, but you know what I mean). Plus, since it is such a huge tourist destination, it would seriously damage the economy (at least in Florida).

Always hate posting stuff like this because I don't want to give anyone any ideas!! Sure...because all the terrorists are reading my posts waiting for me to say something important. LOL!

I think about cruise ships as a target whenever DH and I are vacationing during the winter. Now that there are vessels that carry upwards of 4,000 passengers, just think of the magnitude of a terrorist attack on the high seas. The loss of life would be almost incomprehensible given the number of passengers, staff, and crew members aboard a cruise ship :eek: I hope I don't regret having posted this.

They mentioned that they know the name of at least one of the suspects,but are not sure if its a last name or first name and its very common so they don't want to release the name. How much do you want to bet its Mohammed and they don't want to release it because it wouldn't be politically correct

Living outside Orlando, on the Space coast, I am surprised this wasn't under hightened security: Twin NASA spacecraft are on their way to the moon today after a successful launch aboard a Delta II Heavy rocket at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. I was able to watch this launch from less than a mile from the launch pad, and I noticed no additional security.

I think about cruise ships as a target whenever DH and I are vacationing during the winter. Now that there are vessels that carry upwards of 4,000 passengers, just think of the magnitude of a terrorist attack on the high seas. The loss of life would be almost incomprehensible given the number of passengers, staff, and crew members aboard a cruise ship :eek: I hope I don't regret having posted this.

Just updating from what I posted above. I spoke to a couple of my friends that are back there and their threat levels never raised above a bravo. (theirs had been at bravo and wasn't raised to begin with). Just sharing.

When our threat levels get raised that is what I go to determine how serious a threat is now. KWIM? Just sharing in hopes that it might make someone feel easier about this all.

Via Twitter
@PGPDPressOffice Maryland
Prince George's County Police Dept. Press Information

PGPDPressOffice PGPD PIO
#PGPD on the lookout for 2 stolen U Haul vans with AZ tags AE15192 and AE 10807. if located, call 911

http://twitter.com/#!/PGPDPressOffice

NYPD probes 3 van thefts after possible threatUpdated at 05:24 PM today

NEW YORK -- The New York Police Department is paying special attention to the thefts of three vans after a tip of a possible car bomb on the 9/11 anniversary.

The department's chief spokesman Paul Browne says the van thefts may be nothing more than the work of savvy criminals, but they are being scrutinized to eliminate the possibility of something more sinister.

more at link

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?s...917&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Not sure if the 2 uhauls with AZ plates are the 3 "vans" from this article.

Okay, this article must be what the two I posted above are about. It's two Uhaul Vans.

Police look for stolen U-Haul trucks near D.C.Updated at 04:35 PM today

ROSSLYN, Va. (KGO) -- As the nation continues to be vigilant following several terror warnings, police in Washington, D.C. are on the lookout for two U-Haul vans that were stolen near the nation's capital.

According to ABC affiliate WJLA-TV, the two vans were stolen from two diferent locations in Prince George's County, Virginia

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/national_world&id=8349048#&cmp=twi-kgo-article-8349048

nydailynews New York Daily News
All clear at Dulles International as of 8:30pm Sunday. Bomb-sniffing dog flagged something suspicious on air cargo pallet boxes around 430pm

http://twitter.com/#!/PGPDPressOffice

They also tweeted they are still looking for those uhaul vans.

I truely hope that we don't have to rely on twitter or MSM if anything is happening as it's mind boggling to follow scanners, tweets, news etc..

Everything is suspicious now with the alert also being put out about the 3 people, uhaul vans, just everything. Be safe and may we all remember 911. Bless the people who died then and bless the survivors! Prayers for all! xoxo We will move on in their names to never let this happen again! We will do our best, I'm sure.

I guess the 9/11 ceremony is still scheduled for Ground Zero - 20 blocks around the area are to be closed for screening. I has to be a mess to screen so many. The news said traffic was already backed up for miles. Not a good time to be a trucker or delivery person.

Yeah I worry about that too. Yes they have heightened security. But still bad things sometimes happen. And what worse way for Al Quaeda to memoralize what happened during 9/11 than to do a 10 year followup at the ceremony memorializing it.

"U.S. intelligence agencies have found no evidence that al-Qaida has sneaked any terrorists into the country for a strike coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, senior officials said Saturday."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/10/911-anniversary-terror-threat-suspects_n_956499.html

Somehow that doesn't make me feel any safer. For all we know the cell has been in this country for a year or more. Either overstayed their visas or snuck in through Canada or Mexico, or even here on a green card.

IIRC they didn't know the last terrorists were in the country either.

We had an unexpected death in the family on Friday, so now we have multiple family members in the air today, coming from all parts of the world (military family). Praying that all have normal, boring, kid-whining flights. . . .

What always amazes me is why anyone would plot a terrorist attack on or around a day that everyone expects there to be an attack. Wouldn't they want the surprise factor? All I can say is I'm glad they don't think like me.

the whole idea is to terrorise. surprise is not essential, only fear.

We had an unexpected death in the family on Friday, so now we have multiple family members in the air today, coming from all parts of the world (military family). Praying that all have normal, boring, kid-whining flights. . . .

I'm sorry about your family member passing, Pandora. May your family be safe & argue to high heaven! xoxo Please accept my condolences.

They mentioned that they know the name of at least one of the suspects,but are not sure if its a last name or first name and its very common so they don't want to release the name. How much do you want to bet its Mohammed and they don't want to release it because it wouldn't be politically correct

Like I said!! Thank you Fran for providing this link that apparently the media is trying to scrub.

http://www.maggiesnotebook.com/2011...to-jude-kenan-mohammad-aka-jawad-khan-afridi/

Today's little scares:

• Discovery of suspicious item forces closure of part of Kansas City International Airport
• Federal agents are questioning a man after device found in his carry-on bag
• Police in Massachusetts scrambling to track down a Penske truck
• FBI agents working frantically to verify car bomb terrorist threat
• Flight to Baltimore diverted after 'suspicious behaviour' by passenger
• Snipers line roofs at World Trade Centre site, as service gets underway
• Internet shut down in buildings near Ground Zero as safety precaution
• Suspicious object discovered at Dulles airport, 22 miles from Washington DC
• 'Terrorists could be disguised as construction workers'
• Three people have come to U.S. with 'intent' to carry out plot, say officials

more on these at Sunday Mail.

More on the KC incident here at Kansas City Star: Suspicious device leads to detention at KC airport

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back