trial thread: 3/27/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll think MTR will put on a defense or just rest when prosecution is done? MOO I think they'll rest.

Now, this is something I've had a problem with ever since the trial began. By all accounts from her own family, Tori was feisty, energetic, restless, and somewhat rebellious. No matter how scared she was, I just can't imagine her meekly lying there under a coat during all those stops they made. Her personality suggests that she should have been squirming, crying, protesting, etc. Yet, no one noticed anything - not BA, not anyone near the car at Home Depot, nor any other drivers passing them on the road during the 2 1/2 hours she was supposed to be in that car. I still can't believe that she wasn't drugged at some point before they reached their destination in Mt. Forest.

JMO

Or maybe when you've got a strange man yelling at you and threatening you to stay down and stay quiet, as an 8 yr old child you comply? Because you are scared? And these are adults, well one adult anyway, telling you what you have to do..or else?

MOO

Armstrong says #Rafferty visited her home in Guelph about a dozen times between Apr. 8th and his arrest on May 19th. Also texted.

RaffertyLFP: Armstrong said Rafferty told her that "a friend of a friends daughter was missing" and that he going to help look for her

Armstrong saw Rafferty after April 8th. He was "stressed out". Looked worn down. He said a friend of a friend's daughter had gone missing

Armstrongs says #Rafferty told her on one visit that a friend of a friends daughter went missing and he was going to help look for her

That 1st tweet bbm, is worrisome. So he went out to that area every 3 or 4 days? How far is her house from the crime scene? Plenty of time to retrieve his shoes or other incriminating evidence, jmo...

Now, this is something I've had a problem with ever since the trial began. By all accounts from her own family, Tori was feisty, energetic, restless, and somewhat rebellious. No matter how scared she was, I just can't imagine her meekly lying there under a coat during all those stops they made. Her personality suggests that she should have been squirming, crying, protesting, etc. Yet, no one noticed anything - not BA, not anyone near the car at Home Depot, nor any other drivers passing them on the road during the 2 1/2 hours she was supposed to be in that car. I still can't believe that she wasn't drugged at some point before they reached their destination in Mt. Forest.

JMO

Maybe she was drugged. Something we may never know. Marie F C and Jessica L were also feisty. Did that stop RW from torturing them for hours and no one heard anything? Not even RW's next door neighbour Larry. When your an innocent eight year old and you have someone promising you they are going to take you home soon, there was hope for Tori. Who knows what they did to her along the drive to Guelph to silence her. The odd hit maybe, lots of threats? Did MR show her his blue knife? Not hard to imagine or believe in my honest opinion. I don't believe anyone knows how they would react in a situation where you're taken hostage. These where two grown adults over a tiny eight year old. HTH. And :moo:

My guess is they gave her a percocet, I had an impacted wisdom tooth and this is what the dentist gave me, knocked me out. BTW, if the mother had back problems that required pain killers her doctor could have prescribed those, in Canada, we have medicare, you don't need to buy them off the street at 5 times the price unless there for recreational use. Also, really don't think a petrified child is going to start screaming, we don't know what he/she said to her in that car.

I think they could at least have gotten some toxicology reports from the remains so I guess we'll find out if there were any drugs in Victoria's system?

MOO

He needed alot of drugs to push that conscience back in. Still don't get where the defense is going with this. The jury sees a girl who microwaved her dog, beat her mother, listened to thoughts of violent killing etc...per say WHY WOULD SHE BE NERVOUS exactly??

bbm
:floorlaugh:

Why would she be upset? :waitasec:

Well I would think that given TLM's testimony last week that it was MR's idea to kidnap a child, and given she testified that he told her in the car that they couldn't send her home and could not keep her that she might be hesitant or upset or otherwise emotional because she would be walking through the store, making these purchases, knowing she had been directed to buy the murder weapon and concealment items, and knowing she was following through in doing so.

At the same time though, she might not have been at all upset or emotional because as we heard last week, she had written the graphic letters well before this day, which outlined her apparent desire to take, torture and murder someone.

If it had been truly all his idea, if she truly was thinking she was going to protect that child, then I imagine she'd have been somewhat distressed. I think that might be what Mr. Derstine was alluding to.

:moo:

I think they could at least have gotten some toxicology reports from the remains so I guess we'll find out if there were any drugs in Victoria's system?

MOO

Good point Kamille! Along with whether they found semen or not too. Can't wait for the forensics.

That 1st tweet bbm, is worrisome. So he went out to that area every 3 or days? How far is her house from the crime scene? Plenty of time to retrieve his shoes or other incriminating evidence, jmo...

kmclaren THANK YOU!!!! BRILLIANT!!!

Oh my gosh...this opens up what some of us believe

that Rafferty was back in the area after the murder of lil Tori

that Rafferty went back and removed items of evidence

HE was back in the area more than 12 times buying drugs from Barbara

WOW!!!

Well I would think that given TLM's testimony last week that it was MR's idea to kidnap a child, and given she testified that he told her in the car that they couldn't send her home and could not keep her that she might be hesitant or upset or otherwise emotional because she would be walking through the store, making these purchases, knowing she had been directed to buy the murder weapon and concealment items, and knowing she was following through in doing so.

At the same time though, she might not have been at all upset or emotional because as we heard last week, she had written the graphic letters well before this day, which outlined her apparent desire to take, torture and murder someone.

If it had been truly all his idea, if she truly was thinking she was going to protect that child, then I imagine she'd have been somewhat distressed. I think that might be what Mr. Derstine was alluding to.

:moo:

She was high as a kite? She also testified to that. I'm surprised considering how many pills she popped she knew she was in Home Depot.

The alibi he's trying to established includes a drug run? I would have liked to hear him say to LE, I have no idea, I wasn't around, shooting around town with my girlfriend, getting tea, and buying drugs.

No BA was an old friend from work remember? He just dropped in to say hello would have been his story if anyone had asked him where he was that day. It's not like she was going to mention the drugs either if this wasn't as serious as it became. Where he ran into the problem was that he established this alibi for the two of them. And then TLM had to go mess it up by being caught on that video from CASS and getting picked up on a probation violation.

So when LE did come around to ask what he was doing that day, he was just zipping around in his car according to him. He knew he couldn't tell them at that point he was in Guelph with the person on the video seen leading Victoria away.

MOO

Since this was a random abduction IMO, while they may have had a plan to try this, they could not have known for sure that they would be successful in abducting a child on that day. This may not have been the first time that they tried. If it was, they were both probably surprised how easy it was on the first try. And I doubt the plan was ever thought through as to what to do with the victim once she was sexually assaulted. That part of the plan was developed on the way out of town to the secluded area not far from where MR had lived at one point in his teen years IMO.

If it was a planned abduction to take Victoria for a drug debt that day then TLM would likely have had a weapon with her because she would have known that her plan was to abduct her and kill her....for revenge.

On a drug debt that didn't exist IMO.

MOO

:tyou::clap:

Since this was a random abduction IMO, while they may have had a plan to try this, they could not have known for sure that they would be successful in abducting a child on that day. This may not have been the first time that they tried. If it was, they were both probably surprised how easy it was on the first try. And I doubt the plan was ever thought through as to what to do with the victim once she was sexually assaulted. That part of the plan was developed on the way out of town to the secluded area not far from where MR had lived at one point in his teen years IMO.

If it was a planned abduction to take Victoria for a drug debt that day then TLM would likely have had a weapon with her because she would have known that her plan was to abduct her and kill her....for revenge.

On a drug debt that didn't exist IMO.

MOO

(BBM)

I'm not saying I believe that the motive was a drug debt, but if it was, it didn't necessarily have to be for revenge. It could equally have been for ransom - a ransom that could not be collected for one reason or another. Say, Tori's mother couldn't be reached via phone or text. The murder could have become necessary because Tori was making a fuss, TLM got impatient, lost her temper, and was no longer willing to wait to get hold of TM. She would have two choices - (1) drive around aimlessly for several more hours with a restless, crying child in the car, or (2) just put an end to the whole thing. TLM does not strike me as the patient type and her anger issues (to put it mildly) are well-established.

JMO

That 1st tweet bbm, is worrisome. So he went out to that area every 3 or 4 days? How far is her house from the crime scene? Plenty of time to retrieve his shoes or other incriminating evidence, jmo...

I believe her house is still about 1 hour away from the crime scene.

No BA was an old friend from work remember? He just dropped in to say hello would have been his story if anyone had asked him where he was that day. It's not like she was going to mention the drugs either if this wasn't as serious as it became. Where he ran into the problem was that he established this alibi for the two of them. And then TLM had to go mess it up by being caught on that video from CASS and getting picked up on a probation violation.

So when LE did come around to ask what he was doing that day, he was just zipping around in his car according to him. He knew he couldn't tell them at that point he was in Guelph with the person on the video seen leading Victoria away.

MOO

They would have checked her out throughly and known why he went there, sure he's not the only person she sells to

Another question: Why didn't BA contact LE immediately after hearing of MTR's arrest? She knew he'd been right there in Guelph on the day of the abduction, knew he appeared stressed in subsequent visits, so why not? Surely, a small-time dealer in Percs would put finding that child ahead of fear of trafficking charges. And yet, she couldn't have. If she had, TLM wouldn't have had to help LE try to find her house.

I'm not implying anything more here than that this case is full of one reprehensible player after another.

London Free Press‏@RaffertyLFP
Another reporter sez Barbara Armstrong changed clothes to evade photogs waiting for her to exit courthouse

JMO

MOO

MR didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave BA's house. He was probably discussing with BA the "pretty little number" he picked up at the pizza shop, sitting in the passenger seat of his car. A lot of "girlie talk" I bet. Too bad BA didn't walk with MR out to the car to meet that "pretty little number". Tori would probably still been alive today.:moo:

(BBM)

I'm not saying I believe that the motive was a drug debt, but if it was, it didn't necessarily have to be for revenge. It could equally have been for ransom - a ransom that could not be collected for one reason or another. Say, Tori's mother couldn't be reached via phone or text. The murder could have become necessary because Tori was making a fuss, TLM got impatient, lost her temper, and was no longer willing to wait to get hold of TM. She would have two choices - (1) drive around aimlessly for several more hours with a restless, crying child in the car, or (2) just put an end to the whole thing. TLM does not strike me as the patient type and her anger issues (to put it mildly) are well-established.

JMO

If anyone had tried to get a hold of TM that day, LE would have known about it. It would be a part of her phone records. I don't think we're going to hear about that.

And the drug debt rumour that was floating around was for at least a 5 figure amount. MR himself stated to BA that he heard that TM (not JG) had a large drug debt. I don't think that two people living in squalor were selling drugs to one person in those amounts. And letting the debt run up to a 5 figure amount before cutting off her supply and kidnapping her child for ransom.

MOO

The Crown's position is that Victoria was being hidden in the car, on the floor under a coat. Now why the defence wouldn't have tried to establish that she was just sitting in there, right up on the backseat as happy as a lark I have no idea. :waitasec:

MOO

Because they know not to ask a question that they don't already know the answer to. Had they asked BA that question, it seems her answer would have been that she did not see Tori sitting there, happy as a lark.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member