GUILTY FL - Dontrell Melvin, 5 mos, Hallandale Beach, July 2011

I hope that there are a lot of people held accountable for the disappearance of Dontrell and lack of reporting it. I also hope that LE makes sure that Dontrell's siblings are in a safe and loving home.

Poor little Dontrell :sigh:

I think the mother knew that Dontrell's father had done something to him, but didn't want to actually hear/believe it. If he said it out loud she couldn't ignore it, and she could be questioned. But if she had no info to give, she could play dumb... :banghead:

Also, you supposedly gave away your kid to relatives because of "financial issues" and go on to have another one?? Doesn't sound like that solved the problem, if it were true. :waitasec:

I have no words yet again.......
Maybe my brain is not working right but putting in Hallandale Beach and Pompano Beach into google map they are only a short drive apart right?

Why would mom never say lets go visit him?
They had no contact with his parents who were kind enough to look after their baby. Mom never once bothered to call her in laws and say how is Dontrell doing? Had no care to attend his birthday party, see him for any holiday?

Poor little Dontrell :sigh:

I think the mother knew that Dontrell's father had done something to him, but didn't want to actually hear/believe it. If he said it out loud she couldn't ignore it, and she could be questioned. But if she had no info to give, she could play dumb... :banghead:

Also, you supposedly gave away your kid to relatives because of "financial issues" and go on to have another one?? Doesn't sound like that solved the problem, if it were true. :waitasec:

I would bet the story of Dontrell being taken care of by his paternal grandmother/grandparents was first brought up-after- his father arrived home without him.

D'Andre claimed it was car jacking.
Imo Dontrell's dad claimed his mom was caring for the baby.

That is how I see this going...... There is more to this story...

Very, very sad for this little boy. :(

I have no words yet again.......
Maybe my brain is not working right but putting in Hallandale Beach and Pompano Beach into google map they are only a short drive apart right?

Why would mom never say lets go visit him?
They had no contact with his parents who were kind enough to look after their baby. Mom never once bothered to call her in laws and say how is Dontrell doing? Had no care to attend his birthday party, see him for any holiday?

Thanks. I did not look at a map of the distance before suggesting that possibility. It was the first and only thing that popped into my mind when I wondered why she might not have asked to visit her son at grandma's.

That Hollandale Beach and Pompano beach are relatively close leaves even more questions.

I wonder if the father was so abusive to the mother that she was afraid to ask questions? And if so, the next baby might not have been her decision, either...

I'm not saying it's so, just wondering. I don't have a good feeling about this poor baby.

Dec 2011 she references Dontrell on FB-
God gave me the greatest gift of all my two boys...luv u ___ and dontrell

so that would be after he was gone???

Something is SO not right with this. How can no one *seriously* question the whereabouts of this boy until 16 months later? How could Mum not want to see her son, or speak to his grandparents who were 'caring for' him when they were only a short distance away? And what did they tell the grandparents who were 'caring for' him when they wanted to see their grandson? Either this is one VERY dysfunctional family, or everyone has an idea of what happened but were too afraid to bring it up.

And don't even get me STARTED on whoever at CPS decided this case wasn't worth investigating. I'm in no way belittling the work that they do, but clearly someone dropped the ball on this one.

I believe LE have already figured this one out, but don't have the evidence for a case yet. Dad's already changed his story from leaving the boy with his Mum to leaving him at a fire station, AND he's gone missing since the child was reported missing.

Poor little Dontrell. How could no one be on his side? :(

I don't feel like this is going to have a very happy ending at all, but I pray that this beautiful child can at least be brought home so he can be laid to rest instead of being somewhere out in this great big world on his own. :rose:

I am curious if the paternal grandparents even knew about the new baby.
And I can't even find a Senior in Pompano as far as paternal grandparents plural. Maybe just a grandmother...

In October 2012, Hallandale Beach police caught a whiff of trouble. They received a report that the mother was having “custody issues” with Melvin. That report may have been in conjunction with a service call to the home in which cops responded to a fight between the parents.

A report generated at that time referenced the missing child, stating: “It is not known if the child is alive.”

The Broward Sheriff’s Office, which investigates abuse and neglect in Broward under contract with the Department of Children & Families, didn’t learn any of that because the report was “screened out” by DCF’s child abuse hotline, even though Dontrell’s extended family had previously been under the supervision of Broward’s privately run child welfare agency, ChildNet.

More months passed.

Dontrell returned to DCF’s radar Wednesday night after another call came into the child abuse hotline. As a result of that call, which was not “screened out,” a child protective investigator went to the family’s Hallandale Beach home — finding the two children instead of the expected three.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/10/3176643/hallandale-beach-police-seek-father.html#storylink=cpy

So many people failed this child. A report generated in October not knowing if the child was alive and then DCF screening it out. Somebody should have intervened in October and I don't understand why they did not. Why didn't the police that responded to the call do something?

Something is SO not right with this. How can no one *seriously* question the whereabouts of this boy until 16 months later? How could Mum not want to see her son, or speak to his grandparents who were 'caring for' him when they were only a short distance away? And what did they tell the grandparents who were 'caring for' him when they wanted to see their grandson? Either this is one VERY dysfunctional family, or everyone has an idea of what happened but were too afraid to bring it up.

Respectfully snipped.

I don't think everyone has an idea about what happened. My gut is telling me 'dad' was putting off both his parents and Dontrell's mother when they each asked about Dontrell. I honestly believe he had two stories going with each side for a long time until his excuses weren't working any more.

What I fail to understand is how he managed to keep the story going beyond Dontrell's 1st Christmas.

Or dad just had no relationship with his parents for a long time, so they never asked and he just had the one story he gave Dontrell's mother.

I think something bad happened to Dontrell the day his father left with him and returned without him. I just hope he tells the truth now for everyone's sake. :please:

Childnet needs to changes their name to something that doesn'tt sound like they let children SLIP THROUGH, grr

where is that little bitty, he is so cute
I wonder if she was working and he was supposed to be babysitting- wonder if the older child went with
oh i will never sleep, poor baby

I am curious if the paternal grandparents even knew about the new baby.
And I can't even find a Senior in Pompano as far as paternal grandparents plural. Maybe just a grandmother...

That's a good question. The MSM articles upthread read they haven't seen him in over a year. Now I am wondering if they mean that for the grandparents AND mom, or just mom? Hopefully that will be cleared up.

Yeah-I don't think there is going to be a large ground search for this little one...hopefully a major investigation reveals all the parties that need to be prosecuted on this case.

Not ready to blame Mum yet.
A 'dad' that can dispose of a baby is likely abusive to Mom too.

Having been in an abusive relationship, I can attest to the fact that once questions start producing anger, the questioning quickly stops.

I was prevented from calling my own family, didn't even have an address or phone number for his brother and only niece (and we were together 14 years before I escaped).

:( Oh no. As much time has gone by there 's almost no chance of any evidence anywhere to help find this baby .

I wonder if he could have given or sold the baby to someone. (Trying to cling to some hope that little Dontrell is alive somewhere)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back