FL - Medical board revokes license of abortion doctor

Just out of curiousity what does the law say in FL about how many weeks along a female can be and still obtain an abortion?

Just out of curiousity what does the law say in FL about how many weeks along a female can be and still obtain an abortion?

It is badly worded with terms like "post-viability" and "third trimester" - which are not mutually exclusive. The third trimester is generally accepted to begin during the 27th week. At least a few weeks past the point of viability, as proven by this case (and several people I know who were born before that point and are now alive and walking around), FWIW.

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/cho...files/florida.html?templateName=alllawdetails

Florida's post-viability restriction provides that no abortion may be performed in the third trimester of pregnancy unless two physicians certify in writing that the abortion is necessary to preserve the woman's life or health. If an abortion is performed during viability, the physician must "use that degree of professional skill, care, and diligence" most likely to preserve the life and health of the fetus except that "the woman's life and health shall constitute an overriding and superior consideration to the concern for the life and health of a fetus when such concerns are in conflict." Fla. Stat. Ann. § 390.0111(1), (4) (Enacted 1978; Last Amended 1998; Last Renumbered 1998).

Thank you for the information angelmom. You're right it is badly worded, I wonder if this case will cause them to clarify that statute.

I wonder if the baby lived or they could just tell that it was alive when it was taken from the womb? The whole thing is sickening.

Bobbisangel this was in the article:

"Police found the infant's decomposing remains a week later.

A medical examiner determined the cause of death was extreme prematurity, the complaint states."

I wonder if the baby lived or they could just tell that it was alive when it was taken from the womb? The whole thing is sickening.

I thought I read that they found air in the baby's lungs.

I have to say, abortions at 23 weeks, just turn my stomach. I believe in a woman's right to choose, although I wish there wasn't a "need" for abortions at all - however having one when you are more than 5 months pregnant, is repugnant, IMO. She had to have felt that baby kicking, and moving. I just don't understand. If she really didn't want it, she was more than half way through her pregnancy, why not choose adoption?

Thank you for the information angelmom. You're right it is badly worded, I wonder if this case will cause them to clarify that statute.

Unfortunately, many of these laws use the term "viability" so that they don't have to keep rewriting the laws as science makes it possible for a baby to survive being born earlier and earlier. There was a time not that long ago when it was believed that a baby born during the second trimester didn't have a chance.

But when you use vague terms like that, it leaves a wide hole of discretion for an unethical doctor to drive through and murder a perfectly viable and healthy baby. Cases like this probably happen more than we would ever want to imagine. They are just not found.

It's disgusting.

I feel like I am gonna puke.

Unfreakin'believable

What is wrong with people? :mad:

I feel like I am gonna puke.

Unfreakin'believable

What is wrong with people? :mad:

After reading this I've recommitted myself to pray for guidance. What should I personally be doing to change things. To do nothing...as I have been resigned to doing...is just unacceptable anymore.

Bond, I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for posting this. After the trials and tribulations of the Caylee case, and little missing Adji, and now missing Haleigh, I was praying I had finally seen the worst of atrocities perpetrated upon children. Now this. I'm struggling to decide which I think is the worst, and I cannot arrive at an answer.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm embracing your last comments. I've always thought I was doing an okay job, because my daughter grew up. Her son, my only grandson, is the absolute light of my life. My life has been blessed. Well, I now realize, that all these many years I've been selfish, and believe me, I never thought of myself that way.

It IS time to somehow strive for change. Nothing is not an option any longer.

I agree Bond .... I feel devestated for reading about this tragedy. I cannot imagine the nightmares this poor child will suffer from the rest of her life. Awful, just awful!

I honestly need to educate myself more about abortion laws in different states. I had no idea it was even legal to get an abortion at 23 weeks!! That seems really far along. I always thought it had to be done during the first trimester.

I am just shocked at reading this. Most abortion clinics do not condone this type of behavior. But I really wonder how many out there would do something similar??

I feel so sorry for the Mom in this case. She was totally betrayed by the doctor. :mad:

Bond, I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for posting this. After the trials and tribulations of the Caylee case, and little missing Adji, and now missing Haleigh, I was praying I had finally seen the worst of atrocities perpetrated upon children. Now this. I'm struggling to decide which I think is the worst, and I cannot arrive at an answer.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm embracing your last comments. I've always thought I was doing an okay job, because my daughter grew up. Her son, my only grandson, is the absolute light of my life. My life has been blessed. Well, I now realize, that all these many years I've been selfish, and believe me, I never thought of myself that way.

There is Strength in Numbers......

I honestly need to educate myself more about abortion laws in different states. I had no idea it was even legal to get an abortion at 23 weeks!! That seems really far along. I always thought it had to be done during the first trimester.

I am just shocked at reading this. Most abortion clinics do not condone this type of behavior. But I really wonder how many out there would do something similar??

I feel so sorry for the Mom in this case. She was totally betrayed by the doctor. :mad:

Some, but not all, states have laws that allow later term abortions to be performed. FL is one such state. 23 weeks is far along, but it is still very rare - the chance of a 23 week fetus living is slim, though not unprecedented.

I would like to know more details. Did they think the child was dead or dying and end its life out of mercy? That is still illegal, but it is another scenario to consider.

Very eloquently written, Ezryder. This kinda hits me the same way.

I have been blessed more than my share with an incredible little girl of my own. Not that there aren't daily struggles, but, its like seeing one of those stories about someone that overcomes adversity or fights illness/handicap on a daily basis, and you re-examine your own life and start thinking...man...I'm operating soooo below my potential...

I dunno where its gonna lead, but, I hafta start praying about it...that'll help me figure out how/where to focus.

I have at least one family member (that I know of) that has been through this and I have a clear picture in my heart that the whole us vs. them confrontation approach that paints people on the opposide side of the issue as evil just creates a standoff. There has to be a better approach...maybe more like the 'starfish' kinda thing...:waitasec: Demonizing expectant mothers seems 180degrees to a way forward IMHO. I was suprised to learn about Safe Haven laws a few years ago and wondered why they weren't more prevalently 'advertised'. I dunno if the statistics support that they have an effect. I'm curious.

ETA: Caylee drew me into this...and I kinda knew in my heart that...beyond being entranced by her case...the lesson is that there are soooooooooooooooooo many other children suffering every day...born & unborn, that need help. The answer to the "So. What are you going to DO about it?" question has been haunting me for months now.

Some, but not all, states have laws that allow later term abortions to be performed. FL is one such state. 23 weeks is far along, but it is still very rare - the chance of a 23 week fetus living is slim, though not unprecedented.

I would like to know more details. Did they think the child was dead or dying and end its life out of mercy? That is still illegal, but it is another scenario to consider.

...thanks for the clarification, SCM.

I kinda start from the premise that we're human, we all do things that we regret later, and it is easy to judge & jump to conclusions when you (a) don't have a personal stake in the situation, and (b) don't understand the details, etc.

I'm not tryin' to judge the people involved in the case. I just have an overwhelming feeling of sorrow in my heart for the whole situation. Given the chance to have it come out differently, I think everyone involved would want to rewind and get a 'do over'...and of course there are plenty of vantage points from which to pick the best 'do over' point(s). If by some sort of Charles-Dickens'-Christmas-Carol-Ghost-of-Chistmas-Future way the mother could have seen how it was all going to turn out...well...perhaps that would've helped her. I dunno...

Very eloquently written, Ezryder. This kinda hits me the same way.

I have been blessed more than my share with an incredible little girl of my own. Not that there aren't daily struggles, but, its like seeing one of those stories about someone that overcomes adversity or fights illness/handicap on a daily basis, and you re-examine your own life and start thinking...man...I'm operating soooo below my potential...

I dunno where its gonna lead, but, I hafta start praying about it...that'll help me figure out how/where to focus.

I have at least one family member (that I know of) that has been through this and I have a clear picture in my heart that the whole us vs. them confrontation approach that paints people on the opposide side of the issue as evil just creates a standoff. There has to be a better approach...maybe more like the 'starfish' kinda thing...:waitasec: Demonizing expectant mothers seems 180degrees to a way forward IMHO.

ETA: Caylee drew me into this...and I kinda knew in my heart that...beyond being entranced by her case...the lesson is that there are soooooooooooooooooo many other children suffering every day...born & unborn, that need help. The answer to the "So. What are you going to DO about it?" question has been haunting me for months now.

In the grand scheme of things, the death of little Caylee is already beginning to show the good things that come out of bad. So many of us were drawn to WS because of that one case, for whatever reason we each came, and we all had to know even last summer that there were many, many more children deserving of publicity, and thoughts, and prayers, and help. Why did we not wrap our hearts around each and every one of them? I don't know. System overload? Probably. I know how much sleep I've lost; how many tears I've shed, just over Caylee. I don't know how I can emotionally handle all the others, but I promise, I'm going to try. I'm going to pray, like you, for guidance on how I can make a difference. If our efforts result in helping, or saving, or finding, just one child, what a wonderful blessing that would be!

I've got to admit that, before Caylee, I did not know of TES. (I'm into honesty now, however much it might pain me.) I guess I was firmly entrenched in my happy bubble. But when I first heard of TES, my first thought was, "How can this man do this day in and day out?" Well, now I know. Or at least know part of it. As convinced as I am that we can unite to make a difference, my desire is, fortunately, not based on personal experience.

I'm rambling; I'm sorry. But you've kinda brought up something that has been tugging at my heart, too. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back