Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
More to show that there are other Sandusky victims:

Lawyer Marci Hamilton says on May 27th:
“(Full disclosure: I’m a Penn State graduate, I’m married to a lifelong Philly Catholic, and I serve as co-counsel to victims of both the Philadelphia priests and of Jerry Sandusky—although my clients are not involved in the criminal trials, so I am not subject to the gag orders.)”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...hild-sex-abuse-trials-divide-penn-public.html

More to show that there are other Sandusky victims:

Lawyer Marci Hamilton says on May 27th:
“(Full disclosure: I’m a Penn State graduate, I’m married to a lifelong Philly Catholic, and I serve as co-counsel to victims of both the Philadelphia priests and of Jerry Sandusky—although my clients are not involved in the criminal trials, so I am not subject to the gag orders.)”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...hild-sex-abuse-trials-divide-penn-public.html

I'm seeing the divide she's talking about with the Gricar case. Someone accused me of "bashing" him, because I suggested, gasp, that he might have actually had a sexual relationship with his wives, while married to each, or his live in girlfriend on 2-3 years. :blushing:

People like heroes, and even though it is painful, sometimes heroes are not the person you'd like them to be.

I'm seeing the divide she's talking about with the Gricar case. Someone accused me of "bashing" him, because I suggested, gasp, that he might have actually had a sexual relationship with his wives, while married to each, or his live in girlfriend on 2-3 years. :blushing:

People like heroes, and even though it is painful, sometimes heroes are not the person you'd like them to be.

Well said, J.J.....Another good quote from StellarsJay's link above:

Other Penn State students and alumni started a fund for charities that serve child-abuse victims, held candlelight vigils for the survivors, and have demanded that the university make the protection of children a priority. Their actions have made them feel better about the future, but even with their good works, their previous adoration for the institution must now feel more like a naïve first love.

For the rioters and a number of alumni, however, Paterno seemed almost as much of a victim as, well, Sandusky’s victims. Like the elderly Catholics, they want their comforting past restored now, and won’t let go without a fight.

Reminds me of the old saying: you can't go home again....

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Penn State/Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal to be documentarized

It’s to be called Happy Valley, and it promises to be an in-depth and wrenching documentary about Jerry Sandusky, the Nittany Lions assistant football coach charged in a wide-reaching sexual abuse case................

Happy Valley is being produced by A&E IndieFilms in partnership with Asylum Entertainment. Jonathan Koch, president of Asylum, is a native of State College, and, in his youth, was a camp counselor for The Second Mile, the nonprofit organization for underprivileged kids founded by the Sanduskys.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...andal-to-be-documentarized.html#ixzz1viSMj7Zz
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
They might want to wait until the trial.

"Recently, Spanier learned some emails from before 2004 were retrievable, the suit said, adding that Spanier has placed the condition on speaking with the Freeh investigators that the university first give him access to communications from 1998 to 2004.
Spanier had been told that emails from that time period couldn’t be obtained “inasmuch as a new email system installed in 2004 at Penn State had eliminated email records prior to 2004,” the suit said.

The suit also said that when Spanier spoke to the grand jury, he was accompanied by an attorney he thought was representing his interests, an apparent reference to Cynthia Baldwin, Penn State’s outgoing attorney.
“However, that counsel later (in 2012) took the position that she, in fact, was representing only the interests of Penn State,” the suit said."

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/...nt-graham.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

I had read before that Curley and Schultz thought Baldwin was representing them; this is the first time I've seen that Spanier had the same idea.

Fu Spanier, this makes me sick.

Mr Spanier: What did you know, when did you know? Wait a minute, I have to check my emails.

Mr Spanier: What did you know, when did you know? Wait a minute, I have to check my emails.

I think it is a reasonable request. This guy probably has about thousands of e-mails, and he could legitimately forget.

I know that, at times, I have to look up stuff relating to the RFG case.

They might want to wait until the trial.

I was hoping it would cover the trial but several sites I checked said something similar to this (caps are theirs/scroll down):

1983 STATE COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE JONATHAN KOCH IS NOW THE PRESIDENT OF THE ASYLUM ENTERTAINMENT FILM PRODUCTION COMPANY AND HE’S PLANNING TO MAKE A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL AND ITS IMPACT ON STATE COLLEGE. THE CENTRE DAILY TIMES REPORTS THAT ASYLUM IS PARTNERING WITH A&E INDIEFILMS, THE DOCUMENTARY PRODUCTION ARM OF A&E NETWORK, ON THE FILM CALLED “HAPPY VALLEY.” THE RELEASE DATE HASN’T BEEN SET YET. ASYLUM PREVIOUSLY WON AN EMMY FOR THE TV MINISERIES “THE KENNEDYS.” KOCH ALSO WORKED AS A CAMP COUNSELOR FOR 2 SUMMERS AT THE SECOND MILE.

http://rocky1049.com/content/local-news/post/wednesday-may-23-2012

I think it is a reasonable request. This guy probably has about thousands of e-mails, and he could legitimately forget.

I know that, at times, I have to look up stuff relating to the RFG case.

Yes, but how many would actually be about Sandusky?

I'm gonna guess 2, one from 1998 and one from 2002 and both probably say something like:

Sandusky who?

lol

Yes, but how many would actually be about Sandusky?

I'm gonna guess 2, one from 1998 and one from 2002 and both probably say something like:

Sandusky who?

lol

There could be a lot of stuff on his retirement package.

There could be a lot of stuff on his retirement package.

Ya think? I'm not arguing but it seems to me the president wouldn't need to be involved in that. Wouldn't his package be approved by Paterno and Schultz, the financial officer? I understood that was not a special arrangement just for JS but something that was available to anyone who was eligible to retire those years.

Here, we just send in paperwork to the HR dept. and after that work directly with the state retirement board. The head of the agency/school is not involved.

Ya think? I'm not arguing but it seems to me the president wouldn't need to be involved in that. Wouldn't his package would be approved by Paterno and Schultz, the financial officer? I understood that was not a special arrangement just for JS but something that was available to anyone who was eligible to retire those years.

Here, we just send in paperwork to the HR dept. and after that work directly with the state retirement board. The head of the agency/school is not involved.

There could be a number of things, but Spanier might have been hands on enough to deal with retirement.

There were also contacts (even innocent ones) with TSM board members. He might been talking to Paterno about (again innocent) succession.

I can understand why he wants to review everything.

There could be a number of things, but Spanier might have been hands on enough to deal with retirement.

There were also contacts (even innocent ones) with TSM board members. He might been talking to Paterno about (again innocent) succession.

I can understand why he wants to review everything.

Oh, me too, I have no problem with him getting the emails for his own legal protection. Just wondering if they are really pertinent to the case. Maybe we'll find out something really juicy, lol !

Hope Sara gets copies....

Couldn't happen to a nicer charity.
Now we all know why he founded it in the first place.

Critical 'Victim 2' decision awaits Jerry Sandusky judge

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/critical_victim_2_decision_awa.html#incart_hbx

HARRISBURG, Pa. — A judge will soon decide the most significant pretrial issue in former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sexual abuse case: whether to dismiss charges.

It's a question that once again brings to the forefront "Victim 2," a still-unidentified boy whom a witness has said he saw being molested by Sandusky in the football team showers a decade ago, drawing a response from then-head football coach Joe Paterno that ultimately cost him his job.
-------

The Victim 2 allegations are among the most serious that Sandusky faces, and the fact that prosecutors haven't been able to find him has complicated their case, as demonstrated by the recent change in the allegation's date, from March 2002 to February 2001.

Adding to the mystery is the report by Amendola that a young man contacted him after Sandusky's arrest to say he believed he might be Victim 2. The young man, accompanied by his mother and brother, met with Amendola, but Amendola wasn't convinced he fit the description and the lawyer said he wasn't planning to call him as a witness.
"I wasn't sure" he was Victim 2, Amendola said in March. "I'm still not sure. I haven't been able to verify it. Jerry's very sure."

Amendola said the young man told him Sandusky hadn't abused him, but he later obtained a lawyer and cut off contact.

More at link....

Stop the victim-blaming tactics in Jerry Sandusky case

http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/index.ssf/2012/05/stop_the_victim-blaming_tactic.html

With Jerry Sandusky’s criminal trial approaching, his attorney, Joe Amendola, is conducting a “fishing expedition” by issuing subpoenas to find documentation about the alleged victims’ backgrounds, such as behavioral issues, mental health problems, arrest records and drug or alcohol use. ........

Amendola’s questioning of victim credibility directs the attention of the media and public to the boys’ personal histories rather than focusing on Sandusky’s alleged abuse. This victim-blaming tactic relies on the public to focus on victim behaviors and distracts from the actions of the offender.
-------

Judging and labeling of victims is always problematic, but it is important to take this opportunity to better understand why offenders often target victims with vulnerabilities to exploit. Offenders might purposefully select victims with characteristics the public might be willing to judge harshly. While factors like family structures and difficulties in school never excuse an act of abuse, offenders target those who could be viewed with skepticism when they report abuse or easily be labeled because of “issues.”

More at link.....

And TMS gave JS the perfect targets since most of the boys were referred to the charity because of their problems at home and school....

Duh....Spanier, Curley and Schultz did not know that Baldwin worked for Penn. State? lol

What held them back from a simple question: are you coming to the GJ for me or for the school?

I don't buy it....they didn't think anything would come out of the GJ and were there only to lie and protect the university and their jobs themselves...big backfire, eh?

imo

My guess is that at the time, they each thought the school had their backs, and that Baldwin was representing their interests on behalf of Penn State.

It is very hard for me to imagine that all three of these educated men wrongly assumed that she were representing them, especially since two of them stated it as fact before the grand jury, and were not corrected by Ms. Baldwin.

It seems more likely to me that they were led to believe so. The fact that Ms. Baldwin has recently obtained her own counsel seems to validate the thought that her murky role in apparently misleading the administrators may be coming under question.

Makes me wonder who was directing these actions? I can't tell if Spanier was planning on hanging Schultz and Curley out to dry before the board took him out, or if a few power players on the board were overseeing the cover-up from the beginning, or even if Attorney Baldwin on her own allowed the waters to be muddy out of a sense of loyalty to the BOT.

Spanier's suit might certainly require investigators to take another look at Ms. Baldwin's questionable ethical position, and we may end up finding out the real truth about how quickly and how high the conspiracy went.

Spanier's suit might certainly require investigators to take another look at Ms. Baldwin's questionable ethical position, and we may end up finding out the real truth about how quickly and how high the conspiracy went.

I think that might be the reason she hired a lawyer.

Spanier was very supportive of Schultz and Curley, however. That was part of what got him terminated.

My guess is that at the time, they each thought the school had their backs, and that Baldwin was representing their interests on behalf of Penn State.

It is very hard for me to imagine that all three of these educated men wrongly assumed that she were representing them, especially since two of them stated it as fact before the grand jury, and were not corrected by Ms. Baldwin.

It seems more likely to me that they were led to believe so. The fact that Ms. Baldwin has recently obtained her own counsel seems to validate the thought that her murky role in apparently misleading the administrators may be coming under question.

Makes me wonder who was directing these actions? I can't tell if Spanier was planning on hanging Schultz and Curley out to dry before the board took him out, or if a few power players on the board were overseeing the cover-up from the beginning, or even if Attorney Baldwin on her own allowed the waters to be muddy out of a sense of loyalty to the BOT.

Yep, I had questioned Baldwin's ethics at one time also and was told right off that because of her esteemed background she was above reproach. Looks like the chickens are coming to roost all over..

As far as Curley and Schultz, education does not always mean smarts. They both were pretty dumb IMO to believe that a lawyer who they were not paying was working for them, and to go before a GJ and lie about something when they knew 2 other people at the time could expose them for it, and most of all to lie for whoever/whatever they were lying for, whether Spanier, the school or the BOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member