Baez files motion to keep KC out of court -

And he teaches law? He needs better proof than that. I hope the judge says soemthing about all these motions he presents. It seems like it is the only thing he knows how to do.:rolleyes:

Well, I guess he's teaching "trial by error"...

I wonder why he is so concerned now about what the public thinks of her physical appearance?
Anyways, I never heard of an attorney filing a motion for his client to stay out of the publics view at trial because the of how her physical appearance will be described by the media.
How could JB actually face the judge with that type of motion? Stop wasting the judges time and spending the counties money with these ridiculous motions.

IMHO, JB is not really concerened with what the public has to say about her appearance. I believe it's the only thing he can come up with to present to the judge. JB is working for KC, I suspect KC has already expressed her unwillingness to appear at any of her own hearings, and has asked JB to take care of it for her.

I haven't read the article critically, but at first blush I concur with Baez.Just read this forum and you will see that her physical appearance is clearly a distraction to the facts at hand and have nothing to do with Caylee or this case.
JMHO of course.

I also agree, but I still think she should have to show up and face the music.

Wait a minute...........Is this the same man that declared her "Public Enemy Number One"???? And himself "Public Enemy Number Two".....and THAT didn't add to the "circus"???

I don't even think this is a formal motion for anything, except to say "I object to the judge's decision" in writing. Looks like he's setting the stage for a potential trial relocation and appeal following conviction.

Yeah, I've never seen someone argue that their own client's mere appearance is unfairly prejudicial. Crazy!

Potato:

Was it this term: sua_sponte?

YOu might do a search on that term anyway, I think there was some good discussion.

I could be wrong tho.

a good constructive discussion? I will find it for you!

TY. I did find it!! It is HERE, in the 'Court Hearings 01-08-2008 Discussion ' thread. The good bits start around post #238 then continue forward throughout the thread, including statues and some case law.

For some inexplicable reason JB seems to get a lot of these motions approved. I have a feeling this one will be also. Not that I agree at all. I think she should be present to see how JB handles himself in a courtroom. Less reason for her to claim imcompetent council later on.

Potato:

Was it this term: sua_sponte?

YOu might do a search on that term anyway, I think there was some good discussion.

I could be wrong tho.

Thanks, Teh. I had it wrong, but found it thanks to ImpatientRedHead's post in the thread I linked. It was 'Presence of Defendant' and I did a lot of studying up on it that night, so I am really not all at worried about JB's latest motion. :)

i'm scratching my head over this whole thing. Judge demanded Casey come to court last time so he could hear her say, in person, I don't wanna be here. then he said that in order to waive her appearance, it had to be in writing. JB did that, and then the Judge says, No, she has to be here whether she wants to be or not! If the Judge is worried about appeals later on, all he has to do is show the waiver that she signed - each time- and say, here is the proof she didn't want to be there. I don't know if the Judge had the right to insist in face of her stated preference to not be there. I want her to be there just to hear everything and maybe realize just how deep the hole she has dug herself is. I doubt JB is being 'brutally honest' with her about all this. I am just not sure the Judge is right this time.

As for the rumor that she doesn't want to be there because she is 'showing' - I will bet a nickel that KC is not pregnant! Although she is in protective custody in jail - she still has to go to and from her cell at certain times, and she can be seen by other inmates at those times - even if she is just walking by. IF she were pregnant, I bet the female inmates would have spotted that fact and most if not all of them would have told the next person who came to visit them about it - and it would have hit the airways and the internet long before this. Jail grapevine is one of the fastest ways to get info there is. Add to the fact that KC is, more than likely, not well thought of by the other 'residents' and they would rat her out in a heartbeat if they could.

I wonder why he is so concerned now about what the public thinks of her physical appearance?
Anyways, I never heard of an attorney filing a motion for his client to stay out of the publics view at trial because the of how her physical appearance will be described by the media.
How could JB actually face the judge with that type of motion? Stop wasting the judges time and spending the counties money with these ridiculous motions.

I wonder if Judge Strickland just hears/reads his motions and bursts out laughing in his chambers.
:crazy: lmbo
moo

Well, If she would not have started this mess there would be no need for a discussion on her appearance, I thought she looked heathy and well rested myself, Its her mess and she needs to face it, not hide out in her "dorm room"

i'm scratching my head over this whole thing. Judge demanded Casey come to court last time so he could hear her say, in person, I don't wanna be here. then he said that in order to waive her appearance, it had to be in writing. JB did that, and then the Judge says, No, she has to be here whether she wants to be or not! If the Judge is worried about appeals later on, all he has to do is show the waiver that she signed - each time- and say, here is the proof she didn't want to be there. I don't know if the Judge had the right to insist in face of her stated preference to not be there. I want her to be there just to hear everything and maybe realize just how deep the hole she has dug herself is. I doubt JB is being 'brutally honest' with her about all this. I am just not sure the Judge is right this time.

As for the rumor that she doesn't want to be there because she is 'showing' - I will bet a nickel that KC is not pregnant! Although she is in protective custody in jail - she still has to go to and from her cell at certain times, and she can be seen by other inmates at those times - even if she is just walking by. IF she were pregnant, I bet the female inmates would have spotted that fact and most if not all of them would have told the next person who came to visit them about it - and it would have hit the airways and the internet long before this. Jail grapevine is one of the fastest ways to get info there is. Add to the fact that KC is, more than likely, not well thought of by the other 'residents' and they would rat her out in a heartbeat if they could.

Casey's rights translate into a statutory requirement to attend these evidentiary hearings. Strickland said any waiver of that appearance right/requirement would be subject to his discretion in the future.

I think it's good to make her show up and waive her right in person, or not let her waive it at all-- given Casey's tendency to LIE about everything and twist and contort reality to deflect blame on others and secure an easy way out.
If she's not there, she can later appeal on the grounds that she was denied the opportunity to be present and participate in a critical stage of her defense. The judge is WISE to err on the side of caution and foreclose that option.

Also, on a personal level, Baez's motion nauseates me because I hate how the legal process itself can actually fuel and feed Casey's narcissism.

I think she NEEDS to hear the words, duct tape, sticker, garbage bag, laundry bag, bones, skull, Pooh blanket and that the public knows that there is no Zenaida in open court.

Those are the exact reasons I want her to be there. She should not be spared the gory details, she should be present while all those unpleasant facts are being discussed. It appears that she would rather be in her
7'x 12' cell than face the horror of what she has done. She should get the real version of reality, not the one her attorney is trying to shelter her from.

Not to go OT, but I do agree. I don't think KC has anything to show, other than her usual nasty self, so I don't think this has anything to do with it.

I was very surprised last motion hearing that KC didn't seem to catch on that JB wasn't exactly holding his own against the SA.

I think he knows she is incapable of showing normal human emotions and he does not want everyone to see that!

I think she may be pregnant, remember the last time she did not show until 7-8 months along. Her appearance, the way she looks IMHO

Doing the math July conception date be right about 6.75 months right now

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back