IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Ted K. killed Valerie is an interesting theory. I believe his name has been mentioned in this case before.

So, if he did it, did he break into Percy's house because Percy had young attractive daughters who were targets or because Percy himself was the target?

The prior attack in Evanston, if I recall, six miles from the Percy residence, does seem to have been very similar to Valerie's attack. A young woman was the victim. Her family's house, however, was quite modest. I doubt her father was a successful industrialist or big shot.

The attack in Winnetka, exactly a mile west and 24 hours prior to the Percy attack, which was said by investigators to have been linked to the Percy killing for a number of reasons, was the home of a plastic surgeon. Wealthy? Yes. A "big shot?" perhaps, but not in the industrialist, and/or political mover and shaker sense. He had daughters, one of whom contributes to this thread. But the intruder at her house broke into a room off of the Parent's bedroom, not the kids' rooms.

It is an interesting theory. I must admit I've believed the perp and killing was a sexually motivative homicide. Rare, but not as rare as something motivated by a Ted K. type, which is ultra rare and nearly unsolvable because he is so whacked (just look at how long it took them to get him and how.)

On a related note, here's a pic of the front lawn/hedges and house I referred to, which can be seen in footage at 00:16 in this link, images from Sept. '66.

It is ten or a dozen so houses south of the old Percy lot. In between are the Dr.'s house and the Trumbull's old place.

http://www.efootage.com/stock-footage/71553/Valerie_Percy_Crime_Scene_-_HD/

IMG_0611.jpg

What still astonishes me is that the Valerie Percy case was never solved, given how high-profile it was and the resources that must have been thrown at it.

My blog piece is mainly about the stoicism of the family, but the Percy murder and other crimes of that period in Illinois, possibly the Bricca killings in Cincinnati and the Sims in Tallahassee a month later could easily be of one person, and quite feasibly- I believe -TK.

Much of the work about TK in my Bricca piece is from TK researcher, AK Wilks.

Yes, local cops, State Police, FBI and Chicago investigators all couldn't solve it, though one wonders with that cluster-you-know-what of a work group what went on. One Chicago investigator, who apparently arrived on the scene the next day was shocked by the poor level of investigative work.

That said, they may have actually knew who did it but if investigators screwed up things at the scene that badly they knew they could never get a conviction. Kenilworth PD hadn't investigated a single homicide prior to this case and Sunday at 5 a.m. for all involved couldn't have been members of the A teams.

In addition to all of the other unusual facts in this case is the time of day it happened. If I recall correctly, TK's first confirmed crime wasn't until '78 or so, just down the road from Kenilworth at Northwestern, U. That was a long while after Valerie's attack.

As for the sketch, I don't know how much merit it deserves. It was from another attack. Some people have pointed out it looks a lot like Valerie's sister's boyfriend at that time as well, though he is a lot taller than Mrs. Percy's description.

She, however, said she didn't get a very good look at the person, and it appears he was "crouching" over Valerie, who of course was in bed. Even someone five ft. eight would have to lean over quite a ways to strike someone with the force Valerie was struck with. And if they were taller, they'd have to lean over even farther, making determining their height in a dark room a pretty difficult thing.

Final resting place of the friend and Dr. who rushed to the house that fateful morning in order to try to help Valerie. It is at the Kenilworth Union Church, two blocks from the Percy's former lot. He was married to a Wiebolt, likely a member of the Chicago area retailer family.

100_2275.jpg

If TK was motivated to slay the family in the Ohio case, I don't know why he would wait to arm himself until he arrived at the family house, with one of their knives... just a thought.

My blog piece about Valerie Percy - also the Briccas murdered 9 days later in Cincinnati:

http://amaranth-parallelreality.blogspot.com/

If the Bricca and Percy murders are connected, wouldn't it make more sense for the killer to be a mutual classmate?

I don't see much nexus between Evergreen Park/Lombard and Kenilworth unless TK targeted the Percy's based on the technology connection....in which case there would be no connection to the Briccas.

Technology, a head of industry and, by then though Percy wasn't holding office he was considered by most to already be a politician. He was wrapping up his second full fledged campaign at that time.

If the Bricca and Percy murders are connected, wouldn't it make more sense for the killer to be a mutual classmate?

I don't see much nexus between Evergreen Park/Lombard and Kenilworth unless TK targeted the Percy's based on the technology connection....in which case there would be no connection to the Briccas.

Well, Gerald Bricca worked for Monsanto.. Other connections are that the victims (and there are many possible cases - TK is often mentioned in connection with the Zodiac and other crimes) tended to be very physically attractive young women with partners or fathers who were connected with technology, politics or big business in some way.

TK's recorded crimes began in 1978 but I don't believe he started out when he was 36. He describes himself in Summer 1966 as a very sick young man (albeit a genius) who wanted to kill.

Of course there are people - and some on this thread - who know a lot more about the Percy case than I...yet TK remains a possibility to me.

The other interesting... if only interesting... thing about considering him in the Percy crime is his first known bombing victim was only about three miles away from the old Percy estate at Northwestern University.

Sheridan Road, which runs right past Percy's old lot, runs directly through the heart of NU. My Mother worked in their Industrial Engineering department in the late 60s/early 70s and it was just off of Sheridan, between the road and the beach, not unlike Percy's former house did.

Thanks to Dreamnine, Winward, twinkiesmom and all others who are interested in the Percy case in general, and my work in particular.

I did share this info with Kenilworth PD and Bricca investigators (SD). Both were VERY interested at first, then mostly silencio. Did they disprove it? Lose interest? Or are they still following through? I don't know.

There were bloody handprints on the bannister, a fingerprint on the cut glass and possible intruder hair/DNA in the bedroom. All of that could be compared to evidence in the Zodiac case and to Ted Kaczynski.

Thanks to tips and info from Cimm and other researchers, I started to think that Percy may be connected to the murders of other young women, often (but not always) with a tie-in to the high tech world.

NOTE: I call the sketch of the "cat burglar" in the Sharon Bubes case the "suspect sketch in the Percy case" as that is how some police refered to it at the time. The point can be debated.

I read the Wall Street Journal story that led to TK's capture the day it was published. I don't recall anything about him and pretty young women, but that doesn't mean that it's not true. Amazing the Bricca case hasn't been solved. I agree, 36 seems to be a rather late start for such a prolific attacker such as TK, even 24 isn't that young, especially for those days.

Background info on the murder of Valerie Percy, daughter of former Bell & Howell CEO and Republican Senator Charles Percy, on September 18, 1966, in the Chicago suburb of Kenilworth, Illinois. A brutal home invasion murder by knife and blunt hammer like object.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/valerie_percy/index.html

Background info on a case possibly related to the Percy murder, happened just a week later and four hours away, September 25 -27, 1966, in the Cincinnati suburbs, brutal home invasion murder of Monsanto chemical engineer and father Jerry Bricca, mother Linda Bricca and daughter Debbie Bricca, all bound and fatally stabbed.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/article.aspx?id=47780

Thanks to Cimm for info and AweShucks for help with the graphics work and side by side comparisons that will follow.

INTRODUCTION TO MURDER OF VALERIE PERCY, SEPTEMBER 18, 1966 KENILWORTH, ILLINOIS

The following is information pertaining to the murder of Valerie Percy, which took place in Kenilworth, Illinois on September 18, 1966. Valerie Percy was the daughter of Charles Percy, the CEO of Bell & Howell, a leading manufacturer of cameras and business equipment. Mr. Percy was the Republican nominee for the US Senate. He went on to win the election.

And the time of Valerie's murder, her twin sister Sharon was engaged to Jay Rockefeller, who later became a Senator.

The killer had a flashlight and entered the home by cutting glass. Valerie was stabbed 12 to 14 times and bludgeoned with a hammer like object in the head. The tragic case remains unsolved.

SKETCH OF SUSPECT IN MURDER OF VALERIE PERCY AND PHOTOGRAPH OF A YOUNG MAN LATER CONVICTED OF MURDER WHO LIVED IN THE CHICAGO SUBURBS IN 1966

2nd_sk10.jpg

ted_ka10.jpg

NEW SUSPECT AND EVIDENCE IN THE MURDER OF VALERIE PERCY

This suspect grew up and went to High School in Evergreen Park, Il. His family home was in Evergreen Park, though they moved to Iowa for a brief time in 1966, and later settled in Lombard, Il. So this suspect was very familiar with suburban Chicago, as that is where he had lived most of his life up until that point. In September of 1966 he was enrolled at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan but as he only had his thesis work to complete, was not required to be physically present on campus.

If you study carefully the above pictures I think you will agree he obviously bears a strong similarity to the suspect sketch in the Percy murder - long face, unusual slanted hair, puffiness under the eyes, prominent jaw, jutting chin, large forehead, hair frames the face the same way, large hawk like nose, general face structure, ears, lips, etc. The description from the stepmother Mrs. Percy - 5'8", 160 pounds - also is an exact match for this suspect.

This suspect is a convicted murderer. He killed at least three men that we know of for sure, and wounded over two dozen people. Most of those he attacked were , like Mr. Percy, involved in either the technological world and/or the field of big business.

SEPTEMBER 1966: A YOUNG MAN IS "BORN AGAIN" WITH AN "ANGRY, VICIOUS DETERMINATION" TO "REALLY KILL EVERYONE I HATE"

In the summer of 1966, most likely late August/early September 1966, just weeks before the murder of Valerie Percy, he records a break through moment in his life. Out of despair and self described "acute sexual starvation", he records in his journal that instead of killing himself he will "really kill everyone I hate."

The people he says he hates and wants to kill are many, but they include two distinct groups. One group is what he calls "bigshots", and these include "scientists", "big businessmen" and "politicians". In his eyes Sen. Percy would clearly be a "bigshot", as CEO of Bell & Howell which makes cameras and business machines he would be somewhat like a "scientist" and certainly a "big businessman", and as the Republican nominee for Senate, a soon to be "politician".

The other group of people he hated and wanted to kill included love making "couples", "rowdy college students" and those college men and women he deems "promiscuous". Valerie Percy was a beautiful young college student and would fit into this grouping in his demented mind. I would ask you to please read carefully all of the following, from the government psychiatric report on this man:

In the summer after his fourth year [of graduate school, the summer of 1966], he describes experiencing a period of several weeks where he was sexually excited nearly all the time and was fantasizing himself as a woman and being unable to obtain any sexual relief. He decided to make an effort to have a sex change operation. When he returned to the University of Michigan [no earlier than May 1966 and most likely in late August or early September 1966] he made an appointment to see a psychiatrist to be examined to determine if the sex change would be good for him. He claimed that by putting on an act he could con the psychiatrist into thinking him suitable for a feminine role even though his motive was exclusively erotic. As he was sitting in the waiting room, he turned completely against the idea of the operation and thus, when he saw the doctor, instead claimed he was depressed about the possibility of being drafted. He describes the following:

"As I walked away from the building afterwards, I felt disgusted about what my uncontrolled sexual cravings had almost led me to do and I felt humiliated, and I violently hated the psychiatrist. Just then there came a major turning point in my life. Like a Phoenix, I burst from the ashes of my despair to a glorious new hope. I thought I wanted to kill that psychiatrist because the future looked utterly empty to me. I felt I wouldn't care if I died. And so I said to myself why not really kill the psychiatrist and anyone else whom I hate. What is important is not the words that ran through my mind but the way I felt about them. What was entirely new was the fact that I really felt I could kill someone. My very hopelessness had liberated me because I no longer cared about death. I no longer cared about consequences and I said to myself that I really could break out of my rut in life an do things that were daring, irresponsible or criminal." [Psych Report] {Emphasis added}

SEPTEMBER 1966: BOMBS, MURDER AND MAYHEM IN THE MIDWEST

That happened sometime in the summer of 1966, no earlier than May 1966 and most likely in late August/early September 1966. Probably mere days later, on or around September 3, 1966, bombs go off at the suburban Chicago house of Elmwood Park Mayor Elmer Conti and at a glass company on Paulina St. in Chicago. Within two weeks there is another attack on a home of an Illinois politician, this one far more brutal and lethal, and Valerie Percy is murdered on September 18, bludgeoned and stabbed 12 to 14 times. One week later (September 25 - 27) in suburban Cincinnati the entire Bricca family is killed. Jerry Bricca was a chemical engineer for the Monsanto chemicals and plastics company, his wife Linda was a former United Airlines stewardess, their daughter Debbie just four years old. Jerry was stabbed 9 times, Linda 8 times, even little debbie horrifically stabbed 4 times. They were bound before being killed.

The man who decided he could "really kill everyone he hated" in September 1966 was convicted murderer, math genius and bomb maker Theodore Kaczynski. The pictures above - which look so much like the suspect sketch in the Percy case - are of Ted Kaczynski. I would ask you to set aside for the moment the image of him as portrayed in the media as just a politically motivated terrorist against technology and business. That is only part of the truth.

His first confirmed Unabomber crime was in 1978, when he was 36 years old. Yet we know from research that the most active and violent period for the majority of serial killers is from their late teens to late twenties. And we see that Kaczynski reports the motivation, desire and ability to kill at least as early as the summer of 1966.

In 1966 he was a sexually frustrated and confused young man who resolved to kill those he hated, which included "bigshots" but also college students and young women. He later recorded a fantasy of mutiliating a woman's face with a knife. He also wanted to - and did - kill "bigshots" like "big businessmen" and "politicians", and Bell & Howell CEO and soon to be Senator Charles Percy would represent those things to him, as well being a man associated with high technology through his company. And Mr. Bricca was a scientist working for a major corporation.

In September 1966, of course, Ted was officially enrolled at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But his TA duties and course work were done, and his thesis almost finished. There was nothing to require him to be physically present at the campus. We know that sometime in the later Fall and/or Winter of 1966 evidence shows he went to California for job interviews at the University of California, Berkeley. Ann Arbor is only a four hour trip by car or train to Kenilworth, Illinois and a four hour trip by car to Cincinnati, Ohio. After his moment of being "reborn" in late August or early September and deciding to "really kill everyone I hate", he might well have not wanted to kill anyone near his listed residence in Ann Arbor, but instead return either to the area he had lived in most of his life and knew the layout of, suburban Chicago, and/or one which he had no known connection to, suburban Cincinnati.

Based on all the evidence I have gathered, I believe that it is possible Ted Kaczynski is the young man depicted in the sketch and that he killed Valerie Percy, and that he should also be considered a suspect in the Bricca slaying.

EVIDENCE

Press reports indicate that there were bloody palm prints almost certainly left by the killer on the staircase bannister of the Percy mansion, and at least one good fingerprint found on the cut glass. In theory, and hopefully in reality, the Kenilworth PD should be able to quickly compare these suspect palm and fingerprints with the ones on file for Ted Kaczynski.

Also, press reports indicate that some hair was found at the scene in Valerie's bedroom that could be from the suspect (and which has no doubt yielded mitochondrial DNA, or as it is called, mtDNA) and that other items have been sent to test for possible nuclear DNA that could have come from the killers blood, sweat, saliva or skin cells. In his work on another series of cases of home invasion murders in which Ted Kaczynski is a suspect, and which have a chillingly similar MO to the Percy and Bricca murders (called the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker case, or EAR/ONS), an investigator has determined that Ted Kaczynski has never had his DNA put into CODIS (the FBI run DNA database) and indeed has never had DNA or mtDNA drawn from his body. Two existing federal laws require Kaczynski to have DNA drawn, but he is among the thousands of convicts in the backlog waiting for this to happen. Several investigators are now requesting that it be done.

THE PHYSICAL SIMILARITIES AND CLOTHING MATCH

In looking at what the police thought was the possibly related incident of the attack on Sharon Bubes of Evanston, Illinois on 6/30/66 a number of things are of interest. The attacker entered at night, had a flashlight, struck her in the head with a hammer - all similar MO factors to the Percy murder. The Bubes attacker was described as being about 17 years old, 5'10", slim to medium build and wearing a green plaid shirt. All of which is a fair match to the description of the Percy attacker, and to Kaczynski himself. Kaczynski would have just turned 24 in 1966, but he looked a few years younger, as you can see in the pictures below.

The Percy attacker was also described as wearing a short sleeve shirt with a large checkered pattern. Going by both witness statements and pictures, Ted Kaczynski wore checkered pattern and/or plaid short sleeve shirts on a daily basis. That is what he wore virtually every single day in this time period. Every picture I have of him in that time period that is what he is wearing. You can look at these pictures for the shirts and also to see how the face and hair matches up with the suspect descriptions and sketch.

2nd_sk11.jpg

ted_ka11.jpg

ted_ka12.jpg

ted_ka13.jpg

COULD KACZYNSKI KILL UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH A KNIFE, BLUNT OBJECT OR GUN?

One of the main objections some people will make to the evidence about Kaczynski being the killer of Valerie Percy and/or the Bricca family - and I admit it is at first glance a reasonable objection - is that Ted was mainly known to kill with bombs, not up close and personal with a gun, blunt object or knife.

If at some point you talk to an FBI Agent, criminal psychologist or serial killer profiler, they will no doubt tell you that the majority of "distance killers", those who kill by bomb or poison, do not typically also commit "up close and personal" crimes with a gun, knife or blunt object.

First, even if studies of known cases show that majority did not also do personal crimes, there is a minority who did. Kaczynski had a unique pathology - a specific hatred of technology, business leaders and politicians (which shows up in his Unabomber crimes from 1978 to 1996 and also may have played in a role in the selection of the Percy and Bricca homes as a target), but also the general rage expressed in 1966, in which he wanted to kill "college students" and women. So Kaczynski may well be in the minority of distance killers who also kill up close and personal.

Second, there is evidence Kaczynski actually thought about and even did kill up close and personal.

The FBI states he actually did shoot and wound a miner with a rifle. In his journal that recorded in detail all of his bombing crimes, he also wrote of unspecified other crimes whose evidence he had destroyed and accounts of had burned or buried, because their revelation (in light of his growing reputation as a political terrorist and anti-technology activist) could prove "dangerous, embarassing" or "just very bad public relations." Certainly the brutal murder of a young college girl like Valerie Percy or the slaughter of the Bricca family would not be something he would want publicly known, when some on the fringes of the radical environmental and anarchist movements touted him as a hero of sorts.

He recorded a desire to kill people by "bomb or other means". He wrote fantasies about mutilating a women's face with a knife and raping a woman in front of her husband. He spent a year and made a one shot .22 pistol from wood and junk parts that he wrote he intended to use as a "homicide weapon". As a one shot untraceable weapon, it would best be used in situations were the victim was immobile, such as being bound or asleep.

The first Unabomber crime was in 1978 - yet Ted wrote in the early seventies about the society which he says has caused him "to rebel, as violently as I have."

kaczyn10.jpg

He created a shoe device to leave false sole prints of sizes other than his own. That would not help for the known Unabomber crimes, but would for up close and personal crimes. The FBI records he had black and green canvas and denim HOODS and MASKS in his cabin - again, only suitable for personal crimes. He was a known peeper on love making couples, armed burglar, house trasher and arsonist.

kaczyn11.jpg

COLLEGE GIRL MURDERS 1966 - 1969: CASES THAT MAY BE RELATED - PERCY, BATES, AARDSMA

Sharon Bubes, Evanston, IL - Attacked in her bedroom with a hammer, 6/30/66

Valerie Percy, Kenilworth, IL - Murdered in her bedroom by hammer like object and knife, 9/18/66

Bricca Family, Cincinnati, OH - Found bound and murdered in bedrooms by knife, 9/27/66

Cheri Jo Bates, Riverside, CA - Murdered at campus library by knife, 10/30/66

Confession letter in Cheri Jo Bates murder, Riverside, CA - mailed on 11/28/66

Cecelia Shepard, Lake Berryessa, CA - Bound and murdered by knife, 9/27/69

Betsy Aardsma, State College, PA - Murdered in campus library by knife, 11/28/69

PICTURES

Left: Valerie Percy
Middle: Cheri Jo Bates
Bottom: Betsy Aardsma

valeri12.jpg
cheri_12.jpg
betsy_11.jpg

THE VICTIMS

We know that it is most likely around late August/early September of 1966 when Kaczynski states he was "born again" and decided to "really kill everyone I hate." He states he was suffering from "acute sexual starvation" and that some of the people he wants to kill are love making couples, "college students" and young men and women. Looking at these cases we see possible links between them.

Note also that the Zodiac Killer is a prime suspect in the death of Ms. Bates, and that the interest in Kaczynski as a suspect for the Zodiac has been renewed and is ongoing. Kaczynski was in the SF Bay area at the time of the Zodiac murders, and like the Zodiac, wrote to newspapers demanding his words on the front page and was an expert in codes and bombs. On the three year anniversary of the discovery of the Bricca murders, September 27, 1969, the Zodiac attacked a couple at Lake Berryessa, CA, and bound them with rope before stabbing them. The woman, Cecelia Shepard, was stabbed 10 times and was killed.

Looking at the pictures of Valerie Percy, Cheri Jo Bates and Betsy Aardsma, there are clear similarities (and I think Linda Bricca and Cecelia Shepard would fit in here as well). All the girls are beautiful, with fresh faces and mid length hair. If perhaps not looking quite like sisters, they certainly look like they could be cousins, all from the same family.

All these women were in the same age range and all were college students. All were intelligent, charming, independent and assertive. All were "good girls" to use the language of the times. All lead clean lives with no clear suspects in their murders.

Percy and Aardsma were both graduate students. Percy had graduated from Cornell and was to start graduate school at John Hopkins; Aardsma had graduated from the University of Michigan and had just started grad school at Penn State.

It seems Ted Kaczynski had either actually or potentially crossed paths with each of these women, had a tie to the area they were in and was actually in each of the three different states they were in when they were killed.

* Percy's Kenilworth home was within 30 minutes of where Kaczynski's family home in Evergreen Park was located, and four hours from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

* Before enrolling at the University of Michigan, Aardsma visited and spent extensive time in Ann Arbor in 1966-1967, Ted's last year there, they both shared an interest Native American Indian cultures and in politics, Aardsma was researching a mathematician when killed and most importantly a witness has placed Ted at the murder scene, in the Penn State library the day before the murder.

* Bates was killed in Riverside, California during the time that evidence shows Ted went out there in the late Fall/early Winter of 1966 to interview with the University of California, Berkeley, which also has campuses in LA and Riverside.

Percy was stabbed multiple times and bludgeoned in the head; Bates was stabbed multiple times and kicked in the head; Aardsma was killed by a single brutal knife thrust to the heart.

MO MATCHES AND OTHER SIMILARITIES IN THE MURDERS

In particular, there are very notable similarities between the murder of Ms. Bates in California on October 30, 1966 (when evidence shows Kaczynski was in that state), and the murder of Ms. Aardsma on November 28, 1969 at the Penn State library (when evidence shows Kaczynski was there, at that library). In some instances there are also similarities to the Percy murder. University of Michigan graduate Betsy Aardsma, attending Penn State graduate school, was brutally murdered. Like the murder of Ms. Bates:

* The murder took place within one day of a major Fall Holiday (Bates Halloween, Aardsma Thanksgiving). (Percy near the Autumnal Equinox and Harvest Moon, Bricca and Shepard on the Norse Harvest Festival).

* The murder took place at or in a campus library (Bates at the library, Aardsma actually in the library).

* The weapon was a short knife, approximately 1 inch wide and 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. (I don't know the length of knife used on Percy but a bayonet was found in the lake nearby, Bricca was killed by a 6 1/2 inch knife, perhaps a bayonet, and Shepard may have also been killed with a bayonet or bayonet sized weapon).

* The attack was brutal and the victims led clean lives with no obvious suspects. (Also true of Percy, Bricca and Shepard).

* In both cases taunting letters were sent after the crime. (A threat letter was sent to Charles Percy in May 1966, Zodiac letter sent after Shepard murder).

* A poem found at the Riverside college talked about killing a girl in a red dress, and Aardsma was wearing a red dress when killed. (Zodiac wrote a message on the car door where Shepard was killed).

After the Zodiac murder of cab driver Paul Stine in October 1969, and the release of the Zodiac composite sketch in early November 1969, the SF area would have been very hot for the Zodiac. It would be prudent for him to leave, and in fact, Ted's brother David says Ted did leave California at that time and came home to Illinois. That puts him in the eastern half of the US and a days drive from PA when Aardsma is killed. Ted's father was from PA. Prior to the murder of Aardsma, Zodiac claimed 7 victims - but in his Christmas letter to Melvin Belli he says he may take a ninth and tenth victim. Who was number 8? Could it have been Aardsma?

Most importantly, a witness picked out a picture of Ted Kaczynski as being present in the Penn State library the day before Aardsma was killed, acting strangely and perhaps wearing a wig.

THE SUSPECT SKETCHES AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF KACZYNSKI

You can see there is a similarity between Ted and a suspect sketch in the Aardsma case. And there are similarities between the Percy suspect sketch and the Aardsma suspect sketch, including the general face structure, prominent jaw, jutting chin, nose, as well as the same type of glasses.

Given that the attacker of Ms. Bubes and the killer of Ms. Percy were only seen briefly, in very poor light and at an unknown angle, certain aspects may not have been observed correctly. It is possible the narrowness of the face was slightly overstated. In addition, the murder of Aardsma was three years and two months after the murder of Percy. In that time frame, it is reasonable to speculate that as the suspect grew older he may have put on a little bit of weight in the face.

Given those two factors, as an experiment, I took the first and second suspect sketches in the murder of Valerie Percy and MODIFIED THEM BY WIDENING 18%. You can see them below and compare it to the Aardsma suspect sketch and the pictures of Ted Kaczynski in between them.

suspec11.jpg

aardsm10.jpg

suspec12.jpg

SIMILARITIES BETWEEN THE MURDER OF VALERIE PERCY AND THE SLAYING OF THE BRICCA FAMILY

* It was mentioned that early on investigators from both cases considered the possibility that they were linked.

* Percy was murdered on September 18, 1966, while one week later, September 25-27, 1966, and just fours away by car, the Bricca family was slain.

* Awakened by noise, Mrs. Percy came into the room of her stepdaughter Valerie and then hit the alarm causing the killer to flee - but for that it may well have been the intention of the killer to murder everyone in the Percy family, just as everyone in the Bricca family was killed.

* In both cases the victims lead clean lives with no known suspects who would want to kill them, and in both cases robbery was not a motive.

* Both cases involved night time home invasion knife attacks against victims in their Midwest suburban bedrooms.

* Both cases exhibited tremendous brutality and overkill - Valerie Percy was bludgeoned and stabbed 12 to 14 times, Jerry Bricca stabbed 9 times, Linda Bricca stabbed 8 times, even little Debbie Bricca stabbed 4 times.

* Both Charles Percy (CEO of Bell & Howell) and Jerry Bricca (chemical engineer Monsanto) worked for large corporations involved in high technology.

* Bricca neighbor Dick Meyer said that Linda Bricca remarked that she knew Valerie Percy and had commented on her death.

* Both Valerie Percy and Linda Bricca grew up in wealthy suburban Chicago and had fathers who ran large companies.

OTHER FACTORS IN THE BRICCA SLAYING

Ann Arbor, Kenilworth and Cincinnati are all about equidistant on a map and form a triangle with equal sides.

Linda Bricca had been a stewardess for United Airlines, and her friend and fellow stewardess Lonnie Trumbull was murdered in Seattle earlier that same year. Trumbull's roommate was beaten but survived, though she had complete memory loss of the event. Future serial killer Ted BUNDY lived nearby at the time and was suspected of that crime, but he denied it to the end, though he admitted to many others. Ted KACZYNSKI had a hatred for airplanes and airline companies. In 1979 he put a bomb on a jet flying out of Chicago and in 1980 he tried to kill the President of United Airlines with a bomb. But for many reasons, including geography, Ted KACZYNSKI would NOT be a strong suspect for the Trumbull murder.

Kaczynski is under investigation for being the Zodiac, as well as another hooded California slayer who bound and murdered couples, the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker (EAR/ONS).

The MO matches between the EAR/ONS and the killer of Valerie Percy include sometimes targeting lone females, entry into house at night, awakening victim with flashlight in their eyes, stabbing, brutal bludgeoning to face of victim.

The MO matches between the EAR/ONS and the killer of the Bricca family include targeting of couples, entry into home at night, attack in the bedroom, BINDING THE COUPLE, brutal overkill murders, killer makes himself at home in the house, drawers are pulled to look like a robbery but nothing of value is taken, victims live in upscale suburban neighborhood, victims often work in the corporate and/or high tech worlds.

Layout of the killers path in the Percy mansion.

percy_10.jpg

Article on murder weapon.

percy_12.jpg

bricca10.jpg

Articles on the Bricca family murder and one on possible Bricca - Percy ties.

There were many possible links between Bricca and Percy, including a neighbor who said they knew each other. But to my knowledge Linda Bricca did not attend stewardess school with Valerie Percy, it was with the woman who was killed earlier in 1966 in Seattle. I do not know if they went to the same college, they may have. Both of their fathers owned large companies, and they grew up in the same upper class suburban Chicago circles. A neighbor of Linda Bricca confirmed that she did know Valerie Percy and commented on her death before she herself was killed.

A bayonet may have been used to kill Valerie Percy.

I did not know until now that an arrow was suspect of being one of the weapons in the Bricca case. Also a kitchen knife was missing. It says they were bound with adhesive tape, and tape was found at the scene of the murder of Nancy Bennallack. A detective on the Bricca case also told me they were bound with items found in the bedroom, like stockings and mens ties, and had socks stuffed in their mouths - an exact match to what happened to the Sims family.

Thanks to EAR/ONS researcher PortofLeith for these articles.

bricca11.jpg

bricca12.jpg

Lord knows what kind of evidence they have on the Percy case. The Chicago investigator was horrified by the treatment of the crime scene and the apparent failure to secure it. So who knows if any of it could't be shot full of holes by a defense team, TK's or anyone else's.

Reading the Wikipedia article about TK, it's devoid of information about his younger days - other than he was unhappy at Berkely, socially awkward, then moved to Montana.

Reading the Wikipedia article about TK, it's devoid of information about his younger days - other than he was unhappy at Berkely, socially awkward, then moved to Montana.

If you read what I posted above, I include a LOT of material on TK's younger days, and what he himself calls the key moment in his lonely and frustrated life, when after a failed bid for a sex change operation, he decides instead of killing himself he will "REALLY kill everyone I hate." This is in early September 1966.

Yes, I have read that... I think you'll agree, though, that it is quite a leap for some people just accustomed to TK's crimes as the Unabomber to consider his being a suspect for so much more - including killing up close and personal.

But you make a great case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member