Issues with Jane Valez Mitchell, Wednesday, 12/17/08

Hurricane Fay was mid August and the investigation at that point was "barely" 4 weeks in. LE was still interviewing people, and gathering information. It's easy to say "why didn't they do this and that" but when you look at the thousands and thousands of documents that were released, they were still looking for an alive Caylee. This case was a scrambled puzzle with many pieces of other puzzles within.

Very, very difficult case for LE to put together.

Great point, Patty.

i admit to the same outrage expressed about them not taking that location seriously..when I read the interview they had with her friend and saw what she told them, I just had sadness.
LE had a chance to find caylee right away. They blew it and all the rest is a circus.
It was not wet the whole time either..but even if it was..drain the area.
Why did they not use this location as a starting place..just makes me crazy.

The difference would of been, the family could of had closure 5 months and a funeral for Caylee 5 months ago and the trial would of been probably over by now and the family would of had some of their life back together by now- not much of it- but came to realization that Caylee isnt coming back- this 6 months of long drawn out wondering and hoping she was alive had to be agonizing to the family- it could of saved alot of grief and agony, and media ruckos that the Anthonys went through- it could of been over and done with by now

The concern I would have with them using those big truck pumps is if it sucked up any evidence in the process, it could have damaged or destroyed evidence. A child's bones are so fragile and tiny...

That is a very interesting point! I also wonder how many flooded areas demanded immediate attention in the aftermath of the hurricane that were residential and high priority. People should not forget that this crime did not occur in a vacuum and many other things were going on simultaneously. I believe that it is always easy to say should have, would have, could have, after the fact!!

Hurricane Fay was mid August and the investigation at that point was "barely" 4 weeks in. LE was still interviewing people, and gathering information. It's easy to say "why didn't they do this and that" but when you look at the thousands and thousands of documents that were released, they were still looking for an alive Caylee. This case was a scrambled puzzle with many pieces of other puzzles within.

Very, very difficult case for LE to put together.

Agree, and I recall that the second time TES came to search was right after TS Fay had passed. In my neighborhood (40 miles to the southeast of Orlando), we had 2 ft. of water in the street, fish, gators, otters, you name it floating down the road. I imagine it was the same in east Orlando. And this particular area is lower than street level, so it probably had 4 to 5 ft. of water in it after Fay.

They interviewed KMT early on Daily....she stated to them specifically, that if Caylee were dead, and KC did it, she would have buried her in the woods by Hidden Oaks Elementary. She specifically told them that early on. They had that to go on, but chose to dismiss it in the throes of getting all the other interviews done and following up on the cell phone pings to direct their search efforts. No, it wouldn't have changed her fate, but it would have been much better for them to have searched that area earlier. No stones are being thrown at LE -- they had and still have their hands full with this case. :moo:

I recall them listening the KMT at the time. They searched behind the school which is where she said. I think they even had the dogs out with them. Caylee was actually across the street from the school.

That is a very interesting point! I also wonder how many flooded areas demanded immediate attention in the aftermath of the hurricane that were residential and high priority. People should not forget that this crime did not occur in a vacuum and many other things were going on simultaneously. I believe that it is always easy to say should have, would have, could have, after the fact!!

From Lake Okeechobee all the way up to Jacksonville, every home within a 10 mile area to the east or west of the St. Johns river, flooded with at least 5 ft. of water in it. So these utility trucks with the pumps were dispatched all over the state. Even a month after Fay passed, there will still houses under water. It was horrible. I'm guessing that LE called on the resources they needed and could get their hands on at the time.

i admit to the same outrage expressed about them not taking that location seriously..when I read the interview they had with her friend and saw what she told them, I just had sadness.
LE had a chance to find caylee right away. They blew it and all the rest is a circus.

Not to take away anything from Caylee, but at the time of the storming when the draining were taking place, I am sure that LE had many, many families who were in danger of loosing their homes due to flooding. Sometimes LE must look at the bigger picture when it comes to the natural disasters that cannot be helped, compared to the disasters 1 person causes.
We don't know for sure right now who all searched that area, and after the reports today of some technicians getting poison ivey, most people would not subject themselves to that anyways, including Casey. If they had a hunch she was there, she would have been found much sooner.

Patty, they had an opportunity to do something sensible in that area. Whenever they got that info, is when they should have at the very least had the friend show them the location. If not by land by air. They could have used a copper.
Then they could have made a point of draining it or preserving it.
It is the obvious location..people go where they have been.
There is no way all searches should have been haulted, (as they were by LE), when they had one of her best childhood friends telling them this. She wasn't "iffy" about it at all. She said, "this is where KC would hide the body if she did this".

added..and why did they NEVER go back there when it dried up? They did not take this woman serioulsy and it simply cost them finding the body in better shape.

A caller talking about a children's book with a character called "Zanny"..

Kiomarie's interview with LE was on August 12, 2008 and Hurricane Fay came around August 15th and it rained an awful lot in Florida in August and September into October.

The difference would of been, the family could of had closure 5 months and a funeral for Caylee 5 months ago and the trial would of been probably over by now and the family would of had some of their life back together by now- not much of it- but came to realization that Caylee isnt coming back- this 6 months of long drawn out wondering and hoping she was alive had to be agonizing to the family- it could of saved alot of grief and agony, and media ruckos that the Anthonys went through- it could of been over and done with by now

It would have never happened if Casey would have took the high road and left Caylee with her parents. And it could have ended on day 31 if Casey had told the truth. This cannot by any means be blamed on LE or any searchers.

Pastor sent a letter to JVM. Panelist thinks jail could be taping conversations between Casey and pastor. Debating the priest penitent privilege...

Guest on show saying that jailhouse visit with Pastor could be recorded. The law varies from state to state. Priveledge does not apply. Wow ! Guess it's not like a Catholic confessional, huh ?

I agree with all of you- very hard case for LE and they were going on the pings, etc- guess i am looking at it right now on the sad side of it - just hurts my heart Caylee could of been found way before but I guess it was just meant to be- just sad to think of her laying there like that wasting away, just waiting for someone to find her and give the family closure-

Wasn't she the one guest hosting for NG when this subject was first brought up?

I feel horrible that more credence was not given to KT's thoughts early on. She was actually at the location parked in teh street mere feet from the body, with the detective. But I can undersatnd how her thoughts got lost in the information overload. She was an old friend of the suspect who had had minimal recent contact. She had only ever seen Caylee twice in her life. At the time LE would have been treating her comments as very nearly heresay, or an extreme longshot at best.

This still doesn't forgive that LE SHOULD have been much more aggressive in searching the immediate areas near the house much earlier on. They got snowed by a bigus timeline, high tech cell phone pings, and the assumption that the mother had fully left the house with the child. They forgot the basic rule that most searches of this type are found very very close to home.

Do you really think this family thought she was kidnapped? I think they have surmised all along she was gone, the rest was to put a level of doubt out there. No one can complain about the job that LE has done and is continuing to do. Hindsight is 20/20. With all the mis-truths given from this family it is only by the grace of God this child, who might be Caylee, was found at all.

I also recall back in August, that LE asked/begged TES to stay and search in August, because they were short on manpower, from working other cases, dealing with the consequences of the tropical storm, etc., etc. They even donated $5,000. to TES for their efforts. If TM reported back to them that nothing could be done to clear that area because of the storm water, then I'm sure they had a reason to concur.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back