GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we can assume it's optional. It is probably to reduce the disturbance and inconvenience for all concerned, rather than just for the benefit of the defendant.

Some general comments ... after catching up on the thread.

I read in the links from this morning that VT has "legal aid". I'm guessing this means that he has very little savings. If he were to apply for bail, he would need to put something up. Is it possible that he has nothing pay for bail and therefore hasn't requested it?

It does sound like the prosecution has until the beginning of April to spell out the case against him, and then the defence has until the beginning of May to respond. Is that like the prosecution "disclosure"?

To be fair, if he is innocent, he should be pleading as such, now matter what evidence the police allege to have.

FAO: Otto

When you have a minute, can you just clarify what VT's brother said about VT being in the States for work? from what I can gather, he was in the States for 6 weeks? JY & GR had only been in the flat a couple of months, so I am guessing he only would have been around them for a couple of weeks before Dec 17th? TYIA.

I do wonder at times it could have been a case of mistaken identity? was VT's GF the target?

I watched a bit of it again. At 4:01 minutes (approx) the brother discusses VT being away for work. He says that the flat that Joanna and GR were in was empty for a few months, and then Joanna and GR were there for only a couple of months, and in the same time VT was in the US working ... so there wasn't much opportunity for them to have contact.

I suppose this suggests that if VT did murder Joanna, then it would be a random, stranger attack.

I read in the links from this morning that VT has "legal aid". I'm guessing this means that he has very little savings. If he were to apply for bail, he would need to put something up. Is it possible that he has nothing pay for bail and therefore hasn't requested it?

It does sound like the prosecution has until the beginning of April to spell out the case against him, and then the defence has until the beginning of May to respond. Is that like the prosecution "disclosure"?
BBM

I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

I posted these links a thread or two ago regarding the plea and case management hearing but I'll post them again.

PLEA AND CASE MANAGEMENT HEARING (PCMH)
http://www.needasolicitor.com/61/Legal-Terms-Explained/PLEA-AND-CASE-MANAGEMENT-HEARING-PCMH.html

Plea and Case Management Hearing - Advocates Questionnaire
http://www.justice.gov.uk/annex-e-pcmh-april-2010.pdf

Monday, January 31st, 2011

"Nigel Lickley (corr), prosecuting for the CPS, then informed the judge of the current timetable for the Crown’s case.

He said: ”The timetable we propose is this. That the Crown will intend to serve the case papers on or before April 1.

”The defence case statement on or before April 28 and to have a plea and case management hearing in this court on May 4."

http://swns.com/jo-yeates-murder-vincent-tabak-gets-trial-date-311205.html

To be fair, if he is innocent, he should be pleading as such, now matter what evidence the police allege to have.

There isn't really an opportunity to plead not guilty at a Preliminary Hearing, although he could have entered a guilty plea yesterday. Indeed, had he done so there is even provision for him to have been sentenced on the spot, although for a crime this serious the judge would almost certainly have delayed sentencing until psychological reports become available. See:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/criminal_procedure_rules/

"If the Defendant intends to plead guilty, the magistrates' court should make appropriate orders so that he can be sentenced at the Preliminary Hearing if possible."

See also www.justice.gov.uk/anx_e2page1-4.pdf in which it is asked if the defendant has been advised about credit for pleading guilty, and if it is likely that the case can be concluded at the Preliminary Hearing by the defendant pleading guilty?

Yesterday's Preliminary Hearing took only 15 minutes, but an hour had been allocated, in case of this eventuality.

Not entering a plea yesterday strongly suggests that VT intends to contest the case, but it leaves open the possibility of a guilty plea in May, once the weight of evidence has been put to him.

In short, there isn't really a mechanism or reason to plea not guilty at a Preliminary Hearing. Just an opportunity to plead guilty and thus save the ordeal of a trial by jury.

Hope that makes sense!

I get the scenario, but in VTs case we have no motive, he is not a rapist has a good clean record in Holland as well as in the UK, worked hard to get the PHd and good job, got a new life with lovely GF spending Christmas with her parents from 24 till 26 Dec then goes home to his family in Holland till 2 Jan, goes back to work, why kill JY, why throw it all away, his family are so shocked and love him too . I cant think of another murdered who didnt have something in their background to make them a killer if not at the least some motive

I suppose you mean no known motive. We cannot see inside his mind, and that is where motives may be hidden. The fact that he has a PhD is irrelevant. We don't know that there is nothing in his background either. Perhaps we will find out at some point.

I suppose you mean no known motive. We cannot see inside his mind, and that is where motives may be hidden. The fact that he has a PhD is irrelevant. We don't know that there is nothing in his background either. Perhaps we will find out at some point.

Exactly, there are people who have some underlying psychological problem yet outwardly show no signs. Also there are people who are guilty of a one off compulsive act, maybe triggered by lust, envy, drink, drugs whatever.

As you say we cannot see inside the mind.

Well, I'm just going to wait for the trial.

I have to say October seems a thousand years away. I wonder what it seems like for VT?

Not sure if this was in Marcel's video ... but Vincent called a family summit [minus the children] when he was visiting at Christmas to tell them he was "under suspicion.

"Under suspicion" seems an odd phrase to use, if it has been reported accurately. If my neighbour had been murdered and the police had asked to search my house, I'd be curious to know why, but I wouldn't assume that I was "under suspicion" (unless I'd done it, of course).

Well, I'm just going to wait for the trial.

I have to say October seems a thousand years away. I wonder what it seems like for VT?

It would be a complete nightmare if he was innocent. Personally, I would have to be dragged into court sceaming my innocence to everyone in the vicinity. I would not care at all about the consequences, even the Judiciary would get an ear bashing, or worse if they said anything to the contrary.
I swear, I would have to be ankle chained or I would be out of there at the first opportunity

:woohoo:

His defence costs are paid from public funds otto. If in due course he's convicted then there's a possibility he could then be asked to contribute towards his costs but since he'll be jobless, locked up and has no property then, unless he has savings (over £3k) he wouldn't have to because obviously he'd have no means to be able to.

Re bail - defendants can't put themselves up to stand surety for themselves. Someone else has to come forward to do it for them. They don't pay the court anything but they agree to...should the defendant breach bail conditions.

"Under suspicion" seems an odd phrase to use, if it has been reported accurately. If my neighbour had been murdered and the police had asked to search my house, I'd be curious to know why, but I wouldn't assume that I was "under suspicion" (unless I'd done it, of course).

I know. At the time CJ was under arrest and didn't get released until 1st January. It would be interesting to know what day he actually called this summit. I'm wondering if it was only after CJ was released. TM's brother was proclaiming on Twitter on 31st December he was 100% sure CJ would be charged which leads me to think perhaps VT didn't call this summit until after CJ was released. I'm guessing of course but why would you announce you were under suspicion while someone else has been arrested? You'd at least wait to see what happened with the one under arrest first wouldn't you...or I would anyway.

If I were innocent I wouldn't even think of any summit, meeting or otherwise. If I were totally innocent it wouldn't even cross my mind.
Just to add if my neighbour in ajoining flats were missing or found dead I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wanted to take a serious close look at my flat. As long as any damage was made good they could rip it up. Maybe that's just me.

I know. At the time CJ was under arrest and didn't get released until 1st January. It would be interesting to know what day he actually called this summit. I'm wondering if it was only after CJ was released. TM's brother was proclaiming on Twitter on 31st December he was 100% sure CJ would be charged which leads me to think perhaps VT didn't call this summit until after CJ was released. I'm guessing of course but why would you announce you were under suspicion while someone else has been arrested? You'd at least wait to see what happened with the one under arrest first wouldn't you...or I would anyway.

I think VT returned on Sunday 2nd January. CJ was released sometime that same evening. So, if the date for VT's return is correct, the summit was held while CJ was still under arrest. Very odd.

While searching for VT's return date, I happened to come across that very odd quote from neighbour LP (tenant at No.42), reported in the Daily Telegraph on 1st January:

"I assumed she had absconded with someone, I didn't think she'd had been killed."

I wonder what led him to make that assumption?

"Under suspicion" seems an odd phrase to use, if it has been reported accurately.

It's the Sun :rolleyes: but the phrase was not directly attributed to anyone.

It's worth remembering that whatever was originally said would have been in Dutch. Allowances should always be made for translation, and the fact that words and phrases can carry a slightly different sense in another language.

It would be a complete nightmare if he was innocent. Personally, I would have to be dragged into court sceaming my innocence to everyone in the vicinity. I would not care at all about the consequences, even the Judiciary would get an ear bashing, or worse if they said anything to the contrary.
I swear, I would have to be ankle chained or I would be out of there at the first opportunity

:woohoo:

Powerful post!

VT isn't making any noise and there was no application for bail.

Is it possible the police have nailed this one? The prosecuting team must think so. They give the green light to go to trial do they not.
VT gets his day in court and twelve of his peers will weigh up the case against him.

Joanna Yeates is the tragic loser not to mention all those who loved her.

The great mystery is where the L/L fits in all this. He isn't making any noise either.

I could imagine doing the same if it were me. I'd get the adults together and tell them all about the case and what the police doing in the house. No doubt the family were asking him about it and he didn't want to talk about it in front of the children. He probably said that everyone in the block was under suspicion, including him. It sounds quite a reasonable thing to do in the circumstances. They probably told TM's parents all about it too, including having their flat searched.

The main thing that's puzzling me is the lack of any alibi during the time JY went missing. If he was "away" as he told some journalists, you'd think the people who could corroborate that would have said something that would have leaked out by now. For example, VT's brother has told the media (via the spokesman) where VT was from 24th but not before, which is the crucial time.

If a combination of VT's phone records and other people's witness accounts put him out of the area at that time, he'd be discounted as a suspect (as GR was).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong