IL-Chicago Police Officer Says She Feared Using Gun While Being Beaten Oct. 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberlyd125

Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet
Reaction score
CHICAGO POLICE OFFICER SAYS SHE FEARED USING GUN WHILE BEING BEATEN

http://abc7chicago.com/1543015/

A Chicago police officer who is hospitalized after she was severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun because of the scrutiny she would have faced, Supt. Eddie Johnson said.

"She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," Supt. Johnson said.

When those who protect and serve us feel they are unable to protect themselves we are in big trouble folks.

JMO

If I were an officer, I'd be afraid to shoot someone who was assaulting me too. Especially if that person happened to be black. How sad that it's come to that.

We lost an officer in Southern California this past weekend. Some are speculating that he died because he was afraid to shoot as well. He had a burglary suspect held at gunpoint. While waiting for his partner to come back him up, the suspect drew on him from his waistband---and killed the deputy. Some are saying that the officer was reticent about shooting when the guy 'reached' for his waistband, because he was not sure he really had a gun. And he paid for it with his life. :rose:

eta:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-deputy-shot-lancaster-20161005-snap-story.html

My 13-year old daughter wants to be a cop, but I hope she changes her mind. I'd never stop worrying.

Chicago officer beaten but does not shoot, Police Union President reacts.

http://www.wlsam.com/2016/10/07/chi...does-not-shoot-police-union-president-reacts/

Angelo told “The Big John and Ray Show” on WLS that the incident, which happened on Wednesday at Roosevelt Road and Cicero Avenue, is a perfect example of increased scrutiny on police causing an officer to refrain from taking a legitimate step to protect herself and the community. “This is exactly what’s going on right now” said Angelo, “In the deep recesses, maybe not that deep, of these officers minds, is that next You Tube video or that next headline.”

http://www.wlsam.com/2016/10/07/chi...does-not-shoot-police-union-president-reacts/

Angelo told “The Big John and Ray Show” on WLS that the incident, which happened on Wednesday at Roosevelt Road and Cicero Avenue, is a perfect example of increased scrutiny on police causing an officer to refrain from taking a legitimate step to protect herself and the community. “This is exactly what’s going on right now” said Angelo, “In the deep recesses, maybe not that deep, of these officers minds, is that next You Tube video or that next headline.”

Not only are they 'not shooting' ----they are also holding back from many possible interactions and engagements with the public that might put them in a bad situation.

I know personally, of some officers who have said they have changed their tactics, and are much less 'proactive' in looking at suspicious people. They do not want to be put in the position of having to defend themselves if they stop a suspicious group of teens out late at night or a car full of shady looking gang members. They do not want to have to pull their weapons so they don't go and stop the car in the dark parking lot anymore because if they have no 911 call to rely upon, they feel they will be accused of profiling or something, if they want to see what a car is doing at 2 am in a strip mall lot. So some have told me that they just drive on by and wait until there is a burglar alarm or a 911 dispatcher instead of trying to head off the trouble themselves. It is not worth it to them at this point because they have little to gain and much to lose.

I find it sad but it is what it is. Why would they want to put their careers/lives on the line with the current social attitudes toward their profession?

Not only are they 'not shooting' ----they are also holding back from many possible interactions and engagements with the public that might put them in a bad situation.

I know personally, of some officers who have said they have changed their tactics, and are much less 'proactive' in looking at suspicious people. They do not want to be put in the position of having to defend themselves if they stop a suspicious group of teens out late at night or a car full of shady looking gang members. They do not want to have to pull their weapons so they don't go and stop the car in the dark parking lot anymore because if they have no 911 call to rely upon, they feel they will be accused of profiling or something, if they want to see what a car is doing at 2 am in a strip mall lot. So some have told me that they just drive on by and wait until there is a burglar alarm or a 911 dispatcher instead of trying to head off the trouble themselves. It is not worth it to them at this point because they have little to gain and much to lose.

I find it sad but it is what it is. Why would they want to put their careers/lives on the line with the current social attitudes toward their profession?

Wow, that scares the hell out of me.

Wow, that scares the hell out of me.

It is not happening everywhere. Just in the high crime areas mostly because that is where their critics are waiting for them to mess up. And it is very sad because that is where they should have the greatest levels of support from the public.

But if they pull over a car that looks 'suspicious' ---that is now questioned and called 'systemic racism' if the occupants are minorities. So it is difficult for the cops to pull someone over, even if they are in a dark strip mall at 2 am. Because they can still be accused of profiling or being biased etc.

CHICAGO POLICE OFFICER SAYS SHE FEARED USING GUN WHILE BEING BEATEN

http://abc7chicago.com/1543015/

A Chicago police officer who is hospitalized after she was severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun because of the scrutiny she would have faced, Supt. Eddie Johnson said.

"She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," Supt. Johnson said.

This is great! I mean it's awful she was hurt, but she didn't resort to the easy way out and killing another person needlessly. You can feel afraid but it doesn't have to dictate how you behave (which is true for everyone).

What a great example! Instead of hanging her head in shame or apologizing she should be proud!!

I wonder how they finally got this guy under control.

Dean Angelo told WLS “The non lethal options are exhausted with no impact. The officer tasered this guy 20 times, directly placing the device on his body for an extended amount of time and had no impact. Exhausted all of his pepper mace. And he (perpetrator) continues to attack.

This is great! I mean it's awful she was hurt, but she didn't resort to the easy way out and killing another person needlessly. You can feel afraid but it doesn't have to dictate how you behave (which is true for everyone).

What a great example! Instead of hanging her head in shame or apologizing she should be proud!!

There is nothing great about this. At all.

Her face was beat into the concrete until she passed out. Nobody should have to endure this. Shooting this "person" would not have been needless. She should have felt confident to use her department issued firearm to defend herself.

There should be a lot of heads hanging in shame. Not hers certainly. But the fact our officers are scared to defend themselves is a shame.

JMO

ETA: she could have easily died. I hope that's clear.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-police-officer-did-not-shoot-attacker-396344811.html

'She Knew She Should Shoot': Officer Didn't Fire On Attacker to Avoid 'Scrutiny,' Top Cop Says

The officer whose head was smashed into the pavement lost chunks of hair before falling unconscious and suffered severe concussions, according to the Chicago Tribune. A second officer also suffered severe injuries, including a concussion and a broken right thumb, the newspaper reported.

***SHE KNEW SHE SHOULD SHOOT!
IMO she should have. No doubt. This could've ended her life.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-91663723/

The female officer who Chicago's top cop said didn't use her gun to defend herself for fear of a public backlash suffered a severe concussion after her attacker repeatedly slammed her head onto concrete pavement until she lost consciousness and pulled chunks of hair from her head, according to Cook County prosecutors.

The officer, a 17-year veteran, also suffered bone chips to the shoulder and wrist, a neck injury, and bruises and abrasions, prosecutors said.

:no: :no: :no:

This is not great!An officer has to be subjected to violence for fear if she protects herself she could go to jail.I fear for our police.Most of the people in these police situations are violent criminals,plain and simple.I knew this would happen and it will not be long until an officer is killed trying to stop crime and protect law citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member