NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Times Herald OZ article I linked earlier only says "separated." Nothing about divorce, so I tend to think they were never legally wed.

"Captain Deal said Zahra's mother and father, Adam Baker, separated when Zahra was a baby, but she maintained contact with her daughter over the years."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1225939455790

I noticed the use of "separated" as well. It could mean they never legally divorced as well.

I don't know HOW they do it - probably on computers and good printers - but living where I do, I have seen "da bossman" pull up, get out, fan out the SS cards in his hand and everyone take one. It is done - it is done ALOT - and it is very common.

Now with employers using E-verify and all, I don't know about the numbers - but Zahra wouldn't have been working anyway soooo.

I think those cards are used for getting jobs and not for getting government benefits. Many employers will ask for a SS card and end it at that.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified in my previous posts that I was referring to using fake SS numbers with the government.

Yea but once you have a SS card - you can "move up the ladder" and use it for ID to get all the entitlements - KWIM?

Has it been established here already that they were renting from Mr. Co...y?

Alive or deceased - identity theft is on the rise at an alarming rate. moo

Absolutely! It's down right frightening. Creditors don't have access to the SSA information though. A stolen SS# is not that hard to get passed a credit card company (not that they care that much anyway, profit is profit lol). Take that same stolen number that got you a Sears card and try to get Medicaid with it.

Yea but once you have a SS card - you can "move up the ladder" and use it for ID to get all the entitlements - KWIM?

And a lot of those databases don't "talk" to one another, so a death, even though checkable online, might have to be handchecked and we know people don't always do their jobs :waitasec:

Has it been established here already that they were renting from Mr. Co...y?
Well yea - but with the economy the way it is and their history - moving was no big deal to them. If they could have gotten qualified for section 8 housing - that would have knocked their rent down to almost nothing. Plus the food stamps.

This is what I'm thinking they were trying to do.

Not that easy here in NC, right now with this health care poo-poo going on ,it would be very difficult for them to get any kind of aid,ESPECIALLY if they are not citizens. I do believe though that through their marriage and a possible 1 year wait they would be eligible for citizenship. Not 100% sure but probable.
It would also be difficult for Zahra to collect SSI, simply because she seemed as though she was a "normal" functioning child.But I could be wrong.I do have years of xp with SSI and Im not quite sure if Zahra qualified 100%.

And a lot of those databases don't "talk" to one another, so a death, even though checkable online, might have to be handchecked and we know people don't always do their jobs :waitasec:

Every state is tied into the SSA database. The exception might be with county agencies. In NC, Medicaid is managed through the county and paid by the state. I could see people sneaking through cracks there, but, only temporarily as your file is transferred to the state after you are seen by the county.

Ok - sorry about the cut n paste but I had to go back to the last thread.

darlin gal posted this today:

• Born 2000 in Wagga, Queensland, Australia
• 2001, father and mother divorce.
• In 2004, moved with her father to the North Queesnland township of Giru.
• 2005, diagnosed with a form of bone cancer that led to hearing loss and amputation of lower left leg.
• 2007, diagnosed with secondary lung cancer.
• 2008, cancer was declared in remission.
• 2008, moved to North Carolina with her father and new stepmother.
• 2010, approximately early September, moved with father and stepmother from Granite Falls area to Hickory.
• 2010, Oct. 9, reported missing from Hickory home.

So I do kinda think mom and dad were married at one time.

Do you happen to know the source of this timeline? It looks pretty makeshift, and since the LEO who actually spoke to Zahra's mother on the phone used only the vague term "separated", I'm still inclined to think they were never married. Just seems very unlikely to me that a woman who had a baby while married would then have little or no contact with the child beyond its first few months of life. An unmarried young woman who just "got knocked up" by accident, and never had intention of marriage+motherhood in the first place, would seem much more likely to take this course. But who knows -- even the latter life profile is exceedingly rare.

Well yea - but with the economy the way it is and their history - moving was no big deal to them. If they could have gotten qualified for section 8 housing - that would have knocked their rent down to almost nothing. Plus the food stamps.

This is what I'm thinking they were trying to do.

I asked about the current house the're at? I found that they ARE renting from Mr. Co.... if you know who I mean?
And can I spell the whole name out here?

Every state is tied into the SSA database. The exception might be with county agencies. In NC, Medicaid is managed through the county and paid by the state. I could see people sneaking through cracks there, but, only temporarily as your file is transferred to the state after you are seen by the county.

Our brainiac friend SM might not have known that though.

Not that easy here in NC, right now with this health care poo-poo going on ,it would be very difficult for them to get any kind of aid,ESPECIALLY if they are not citizens. I do believe though that through their marriage and a possible 1 year wait they would be eligible for citizenship. Not 100% sure but probable.
It would also be difficult for Zahra to collect SSI, simply because she seemed as though she was a "normal" functioning child.But I could be wrong.I do have years of xp with SSI and Im not quite sure if Zahra qualified 100%.

BBM

BUT if they (AB and Zahra) had changed identities (new names with an SS# to match) then they are now citizens - KWIM? EB could have gone to the welfare office and filled out the forms - you just list the SS#'s on them. But, they were being "smart" they actually had the docs should they ever be asked to produce them.

I agree about the SSI though. That would have been tough to get through.

I asked about the current house the're at? I found that they ARE renting from Mr. Co.... if you know who I mean?
And can I spell the whole name out here?

Best to use initials - MC.

I don't know HOW they do it - probably on computers and good printers - but living where I do, I have seen "da bossman" pull up, get out, fan out the SS cards in his hand and everyone take one. It is done - it is done ALOT - and it is very common.

Now with employers using E-verify and all, I don't know about the numbers - but Zahra wouldn't have been working anyway soooo.

Any child who's going to be claimed as a dependent for tax purposes needs a SS#. If AB was working here legally, which he most likely was, since he's married to a US citizen, then his employer(s) would likely be withholding taxes and he'd need to file a tax return, and would have a lower final tax amount if Zahra was claimed as a dependent.

Thanks Ada, it's really useful to have your input on this!

BBM

BUT if they (AB and Zahra) had changed identities (new names with an SS# to match) then they are now citizens - KWIM? EB could have gone to the welfare office and filled out the forms - you just list the SS#'s on them. But, they were being "smart" they actually had the docs should they ever be asked to produce them.

I agree about the SSI though. That would have been tough to get through.

SSI is a nightmare.

Any child who's going to be claimed as a dependent for tax purposes needs a SS#. If AB was working here legally, which he most likely was, since he's married to a US citizen, then his employer(s) would likely be withholding taxes and he'd need to file a tax return, and would have a lower final tax amount if Zahra was claimed as a dependent.

I just doubt he had a green card; I think he and Zahra came over on a visitor's visa and simply never left. I bet he was working under the table. If he were working as a contractor, then his employer might not have responsibility for checking his legal status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd