Wolfgang Puck's Five Sixty restaurant turns away WWII veterans over dress code

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/10-10/1015veteranssm.jpg

Jay Coberly has faced many indignities in his 93 years.

He bounced off the roof of a barn and landed in a pig pen after his plane was shot down over Schweinfurt, Germany, in 1943. He lost 30 pounds during two years as a POW at Stalag Luft III, the camp depicted in the movie The Great Escape. He's dug through trash for food, eaten barley soup with his hands and slept in ankle-deep cow manure.

So Coberly couldn't help but laugh this week when a hostess at Wolfgang Puck's Five Sixty restaurant told him and five other war veterans they didn't look good enough to visit the high-end downtown Dallas eatery – a rotating dining room atop Reunion Tower, 560 feet above the city.

1015veteranssm.jpg

snipped from article:

The restaurant's general manager, Marcus Cascio, sent the group two bottles of Scotch, a written apology and an invitation to return to the restaurant.

LOL. Good for them. What a good looking crew eh?

As for the hostess I"m sure she was reprimanded and will never ever forget that her restaurant would love to have these vets in for dining.

Thanks for sharing! (I betcha they had a nice snifter of scotch too at the ol' VFW when they got it :) I love vets can you tell? :D)

snipped from article:

LOL. Good for them. What a good looking crew eh?

As for the hostess I"m sure she was reprimanded and will never ever forget that her restaurant would love to have these vets in for dining.

Thanks for sharing! (I betcha they had a nice snifter of scotch too at the ol' VFW when they got it :) I love vets can you tell? :D)

I love vets, too. :) I liked this part:

The six veterans – most in their late 80s or early 90s – took the rejection in stride as they shuffled back to their tour bus Tuesday. One cracked, "We're still troublemakers." Another said, "Just call us the dirty dozen."

They handled the situation gracefully. I was glad to hear that the manager did try to make amends.

Personally, I feel this story is symptomatic of how the United States views older people in general - NO RESPECT.

I'd like to add Gordon Ramsey (restauranteur) is always insulting senior citizens on his tv shows.

Last summer I took my son and grandson to one of Emeril's "fine dining" restaurants in Vegas, dressed in shorts; we had great food and a wonderful time.

Guess I'm trying to say some of these "establishments" need to get real, or the public needs to vote with their feet.

Personally, I feel this story is symptomatic of how the United States views older people in general - NO RESPECT.

I'd like to add Gordon Ramsey (restauranteur) is always insulting senior citizens on his tv shows.

Last summer I took my son and grandson to one of Emeril's "fine dining" restaurants in Vegas, dressed in shorts; we had great food and a wonderful time.

Guess I'm trying to say some of these "establishments" need to get real, or the public needs to vote with their feet.

A few yrs ago I ate at Emeril's Buckhead, GA restaurant. There was a bad lightening storm that night and all the customers were taken out thru the kitchen exit so we would be less exposed to the storm....sooo nice!
sorry, O/T I know

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back