"Listen Carefully"...

Ames

Reaction score
A thought just occurred to me....I may be way off base here. But, I have always thought that John was dictating that ransom note to Patsy, because I don't believe that she would have been in the right frame of mind to write all of that by herself. When the note says..."Listen carefully"...could that possibly have been John talking to Patsy....before the start of the RN, and she thought that it was part of the note? IOW...before he started dictating...he could have told her how to address it...MR. RAMSEY...and then said..."Listen carefully"....talking to Patsy, so that she wouldn't screw the note up? She thought that was the start of the note...and began to write? Just a thought...
progress.gif

I never thought of that but it makes a great deal of sense.

I think that theory has been thrown around for a LONG time.

I also can't help but think of that song (The Perfect Nanny) from Mary Poppins when the kids are writing their letter for a Nanny...

and Michael keeps interjecting "That's the part I put in" & "I put that part in too" I half expect to hear John pipe in with that when he hears the RN read. lol

I think that theory has been thrown around for a LONG time.

I also can't help but think of that song (The Perfect Nanny) from Mary Poppins when the kids are writing their letter for a Nanny...

and Michael keeps interjecting "That's the part I put in" & "I put that part in too" I half expect to hear John pipe in with that when he hears the RN read. lol

Really, I had never heard that theory before...and I have been posting for awhile.

Silly! I just posted this a few days ago, but has been such a whildwind recently trying to read every post.....but I obviously agree! :blowkiss:

Silly! I just posted this a few days ago, but has been such a whildwind recently trying to read every post.....but I obviously agree! :blowkiss:

LOL...I haven't been able to read each and every post either. I guess that great minds think alike! I don't know why I didn't think of this a LONG time ago. I bet when John read the note, he slapped Patsy across the head, and said..."I was talking to YOU...I didn't mean for you to actually put "Listen carefully", in the fake ransom note, you dumb butt. We don't have time to re-write it now though, so we will just have to go with it. Maybe no one will notice".

I can picture PR doing just that-writing "listen carefully" instead of realizing that it was SHE who was supposed to be listening carefully. Of course, no one "listens" to a NOTE. "Read carefully" would apply I here.
But then again, they were "foreign"....:rolleyes:

it does make sense.I've always thought John helped her write the note,to point to the former AG employees.he had no one else to blame.and Patsy could throw in the housekeeper b/c she needed money.
Since Patsy left a partial practice note, I'm not sure John even looked back at what she wrote.Perhaps they were running out of time by then.He may have been thinking of needing to take a shower (to wash off any potential evidence) b/f patsy made the 911 call, and LE arrived.

The words "listen carefully" are in the movie Dirty Harry. It's been thought that quite a few phrases from the ransom note could have been taken from this movie and other crime movies.

The words "listen carefully" are in the movie Dirty Harry. It's been thought that quite a few phrases from the ransom note could have been taken from this movie and other crime movies.

Was the words written in a Ransom note, its been a long time since I have seen that movie? Or did someone just SAY..."Listen Carefully!"....because I have said those words myself....talking to my kids, but I haven't ever written them, because...well...that just wouldn't make sense.

Was the words written in a Ransom note, its been a long time since I have seen that movie? Or did someone just SAY..."Listen Carefully!"....because I have said those words myself....talking to my kids, but I haven't never written them.

The first words of the ransom letter are:

"Mr. Ramsey,
Listen Carefully!"

Personally, I think that the first two words of the body of the ransom letter are taken from what a person who answers a call from kidnapper's would hear in most movie versions of a kidnapping.

Think about it. The family member answers the phone and the kidnapper immediately attempts to aid the family member in identifying this call as important and lets the family member know it is the kidnapper calling with instructions without excessive wording. In a phone call, "Listen carefully!" accomplishes this intent better than any other introduction imaginable, IMO.

IMO, the author was pulling from a 'fantasy' pool of wording rather than from a reality based choice of wording.

The author was in TVLand, using only what they had heard from their own past.

The first words of the ransom letter are:

"Mr. Ramsey,
Listen Carefully!"

No, I meant...in the movie "Dirty Harry". It was suggested that the words LISTEN CAREFULLY came from the movie "Dirty Harry". I was wondering if in the MOVIE, there was a ransom note with those words, or were the words spoken. If they were spoken, then there would be no connection to the movie "Dirty Harry" and the Ramsey's ransom note. The words "listen carefully" when spoken...is not odd. I say it alot when giving my kids instructions, but I would never write the words. How do you LISTEN to a note? You don't....you read a note...you listen to someone when they are speaking.

Personally, I think that the first two words of the body of the ransom letter are taken from what a person who answers a call from kidnapper's would hear in most movie versions of a kidnapping.

Think about it. The family member answers the phone and the kidnapper immediately attempts to aid the family member in identifying this call as important and lets the family member know it is the kidnapper calling with instructions without excessive wording. In a phone call, "Listen carefully!" accomplishes this intent better than any other introduction imaginable, IMO.

IMO, the author was pulling from a 'fantasy' pool of wording rather than from a reality based choice of wording.

The author was in TVLand, using only what they had heard from their own past.

Well, yeah..maybe so...in a phone call. But, to put those words in a ransom note, makes no sense. You would put "Read this carefully" or "read carefully", not "listen carefully". The RN note is not talking, there are words that are read. Now, if the "kidnappers" had made that phone call as promised...and they had of said..."listen carefully", THAT would have made sense.

No, I meant...in the movie "Dirty Harry". It was suggested that the words LISTEN CAREFULLY came from the movie "Dirty Harry". I was wondering if in the MOVIE, there was a ransom note with those words, or were the words spoken. If they were spoken, then there would be no connection to the movie "Dirty Harry" and the Ramsey's ransom note. The words "listen carefully" when spoken...is not odd. I say it alot when giving my kids instructions, but I would never write the words. How do you LISTEN to a note? You don't....you read a note...you listen to someone when they are speaking.

So sorry, brain blip on my part. I misunderstood your post.

Well, yeah..maybe so...in a phone call. But, to put those words in a ransom note, makes no sense. You would put "Read this carefully" or "read carefully", not "listen carefully". The RN note is not talking, there are words that are read. Now, if the "kidnappers" had made that phone call as promised...and they had of said..."listen carefully", THAT would have made sense.

Exactly, I agree. "Listen carefully!", is odd to be found in a written ransom note.

That is why I think the author of the JBR ransom note was just pulling from their own data banks of their past experiences with a kidnapping/ransom note situation, which was tv, movies and books and they misused what was common verbal communication in a kidnapping phone call situation, by writing those words in letter form.

I think it is just one more nail in the coffin of removing all doubt that anything about the JBR case is the act of a legitimate kidnapper/intruder/pedo/murderer.

Exactly, I agree. "Listen carefully!", is odd to be found in a written ransom note.

That is why I think the author of the JBR ransom note was just pulling from their own data banks of their past experiences with a kidnapping/ransom note situation, which was tv, movies and books and they misused what was common verbal communication in a kidnapping phone call situation, by writing those words in letter form.

I think it is just one more nail in the coffin of removing all doubt that anything about the JBR case is the act of a legitimate kidnapper/intruder/pedo/murderer.

Okay, now I have to disagree with you on that. It was fake...the Boulder Police and FBI agree with me. A REAL kidnapper that leaves RN, actually takes the child from the home...hence the reason for a ransom note, to ask for money in return for the child. Why leave the note, if the child is dead in the basement?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back