WI WI - Sara Bushland, 15, Spooner, 3 April 1996

Sara's story,what is known, can be viewed in all articles on her web page at "findsarabushland.com." I've been researching this case since August 2011. In total, if we include Sara, this county has 3 unsolved murders, 2 of which were young girls in1996, Sara Bushland and Crystal Soulier, although 5 months apart. Crystal's body was found in Rock County, though we now believe she was killed here and body transported, perhaps by one of our own truckers! These girls hung out with the same groups of peers. I was fortunate to meet Sara's sister, Lesley, and together we met Crystal's sister, Freedom, about 4 months ago. There has been a change in investigators on Sara's case and they have verified Sara's disappearance was not handled effectively, testimonies and even fingerprints, dental records, and DNA has been lost. The goal of my little band of sleuths is to locate Sara's remains, as I do believe that much is do-able. I do, however, believe we have reached a point where things need to get political and so I am researching letter writing to politicians. It is frustrating to think that these crimes were committed by average to below average intelligence people, yet our LE with all their skills and training cannot figure them out...maybe they should take a class in "stupid?"

Sara's story,what is known, can be viewed in all articles on her web page at "findsarabushland.com." I've been researching this case since August 2011. In total, if we include Sara, this county has 3 unsolved murders, 2 of which were young girls in1996, Sara Bushland and Crystal Soulier, although 5 months apart. Crystal's body was found in Rock County, though we now believe she was killed here and body transported, perhaps by one of our own truckers! These girls hung out with the same groups of peers. I was fortunate to meet Sara's sister, Lesley, and together we met Crystal's sister, Freedom, about 4 months ago. There has been a change in investigators on Sara's case and they have verified Sara's disappearance was not handled effectively, testimonies and even fingerprints, dental records, and DNA has been lost. The goal of my little band of sleuths is to locate Sara's remains, as I do believe that much is do-able. I do, however, believe we have reached a point where things need to get political and so I am researching letter writing to politicians. It is frustrating to think that these crimes were committed by average to below average intelligence people, yet our LE with all their skills and training cannot figure them out...maybe they should take a class in "stupid?"

Miss Kizzy - Small town LE can and are uneducated with odd cases (disappearances, etc). I grew up in a very small town in the Upper Midwest... We didn't have a local police department. It's apparent that Sara's disappearance was brushed under the rug... and LE didn't really know what to do about it.

Why do you believe Crystal was murdered in Washburn County (I'm assuming)? I looked up Crystal's case, and it took me to Janesville, which is far from where Sara went missing.

You mentioned truckers... Did Sara associate with truckers? I assume the truckers were not local...

Does anyone have any experience in writing politicians for assistance? Do you start with local positions, or move right up to State representatives? What assistance do I ask for, and what response can I expect? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi MissKizzy,

I'm not up on WI politics, but I'd ask this - do you have a congressional rep or senator who is a long term office holder, and is particularly well liked and/or close to his/her home district? If so, I would begin with that person, even though its going over the heads of local/state level politicians.

Here in Mass, whatever one thinks of their politics, senators Kennedy and Kerry were/are always well known for being EXTREMELY helpful to locals who called their office for help on just about anything, big or small, political or not, and whether it was "just" a local issue or not. If this happened in Mass and were I involved, I'd start by contacting Kerry's office (Kennedy were he still alive!). Do you have a Wisconsin rep or senator who is similar in stature/influence/in-tune with their constituents? That is who I would start with.

Usually your senator or congressional rep will have a local office in-state, either in their district (for the reps) or in the capital (for the senators). Start with that local office, and if the staffers don't seem to want to help, or are taking too long, call their Washington office.

I hope this helps you! I'm intrigued by Sara's case, and was very moved by the I formation and memories of her that are shared on her missing website. I wish you all the best of luck in trying to get the ball rolling again on her case. :)

Thanks so much to fellow sleuthers. I will be on hiatus for a couple months while I recover from getting a tumor removed from my brain. Please help keep Sara's memory and search alive in my absence in any way possible. Thank you friends!

August 15, 2012, Sara was 37 years old. We still need to find her and get her to a more peaceful place. Anyone know how to rescue a troubled soul?

August 15, 2012, Sara was 37 years old. We still need to find her and get her to a more peaceful place. Anyone know how to rescue a troubled soul?

Sara needs to be found. I'm sure she knows that she has many loved ones who are concerned, including you! For you to actively try to find her, that is so much more than many missing persons in this country have.

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but have you tried going to local news stations? Or even outside of local news stations?

We've done local and surrounding news in print and TV. LE are so certain and may be correct in the whodunit, but are clueless about where she might be; that part I do not understand. Once I get through chemo and radiation, I hope to talk to the Mom again. Since the Mom, stepdad, and myself currently have grave illnesses in common, I am curious to learn if she is ready to give up any info. She had very bizarre reasons for not wanting to talk to me before. Wish me luck.

Link to a news article from February of this year. A woman who was researching the 1979 death of her niece became interested in Sara's case and believe there may be a connection between her disappearance and the unsolved murder of another young girl in that area.

http://www.spooneradvocate.com/news/local/article_cbae5e9a-57fc-11e1-ae63-0019bb2963f4.html

Coverage of the Bushland and Soulier cases have been treated as separate events, but information collected by Coshow in January is uncovering connections between the two girls that might be mere coincidence or, as Coshow believes, a pattern worth refocusing future investigation of both cases.

Her sister has created a Facebook page dedicated to finding Sara as well.

https://www.facebook.com/mbushland.sara?fref=ts

It seems like this case could have been resolved quickly, but sixteen years has passed and her family still doesn't have their loved one back. I hope that the person who holds the key to her disappearance develops a conscience and tells someone what happened so that her family may have a resolution.

:bump: for Sara, missing 17 years tomorrow. :(

pLB4ggi.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bushland_sara.html

Renewed search for girl missing since 1996

Washburn County sheriff's officials say they consider the case of a 15-year-old girl missing for 17 years still open and active.

The Duluth News Tribune reports crews took part in a ground and water search in Washburn County on Thursday and Friday in the case of Sara Bushland.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/208075951.html

Sheriff issues statement on continued investigation of disappearance of Sara Bushland

http://www.apg-wi.com/spooner_advocate/news/local/sheriff-issues-statement-on-continued-investigation-of-disappearance-of-sara/article_f3abb2e0-f842-11e5-8b32-b39292254966.html

"Over these past 20 years this office and the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Division of Criminal Investigation has actively pursued any and all leads provided by the public," the sheriff said. "Exhaustive searches have been conducted multiple times and many interviews with potential suspects and those with information have been done, in some cases many times with the same person. Some of our leads and interviews have taken us to other counties and states, we leave no stone unturned.

"Sara's disappearance is still an active investigation and we are once again asking the public for help. We hope that this reminder of her disappearance with generate increased information and hopefully someone will say 'you know I do know something about Sara' and call the Washburn County Sheriff's Office.

20 years. You would think they would have found her by now. I agree with the father, stepmother and others and believe she is deceased. If Crystal Soulier turned up dead, then chances are Sara is dead too.

Has there been any unidentified remains that were found that match Sara's?

Investigators: Someone in Spooner, Wisconsin Knows What Happened to Sara Bushland
There have been many twists and turns in the case over the years, but now after all this time, investigators feel they are closer than ever.

Sara's sister, Lesley Bushland Small, and her father, Mike, believe someone in Spooner knows what happened to her.

[h=1]Search continues for Spooner teen who has been missing for more than 20 years[/h]
"We have at this time no reason to believe that Sara is still alive,” Richter said. But, Richter said that motivates the sheriff's office even more. They are working with the Wisconsin Department of Justice, the FBI and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to find out what happened to Sara.
(...)

“In 30 years we've got no open homicides for the Washburn County Sheriff's Office,” Richter said. “This isn't officially a homicide case. But you know, for all practical purposes that's the way we see it. If we could get a little bit more help it might be just what we need."

Another reward is being offered of up to $5,000 for information that would help the Washburn County Sheriff's Office solve the mystery of what happened to Sara.

If you have information on Sara's disappearance, please call Chief Deputy Mike Richter of the Washburn County Sheriff's Office at 715-468-4700, or the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back