Sidebar Discussion #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post is at 3:16 at Hal's blog in our Current News Thread.

Rules refresher:

- We can't quote posts from other social media sites (10% rule doesn't apply here in the way it does for MSM)

- It's ok to direct fellow sleuthers to the site and comment in question by link, if the link is WS-approved.

- If the link is not WS-approved it will show up as "**********.com"

- Instead of copy-and-paste we must abide by approved-link and user-name/time-of-posted-comment directions.

- If a link shows up here as "*******" then it's not ok to discuss it or point others to it.

He should have named his book, "How I Crash N' Burn"; would have been more appropriate. Have you checked the B&N site today?

No because something weird went on there the other day - one minute it said 12,000 and the next it said 800 or something so I am ignoring it for a few days until it settles down.
I think we can be certain he didn't sell that many books....:rocker:

*sticking her toe in the water and heaving a sigh of relief*

Welcome back, everyone! :)

Oh my. Watching JVM (which I haven't done since the end of the trial) for an update on the DP case, and turns out there was a brawl outside a bar in Orlando. She just said there's a OCA connection. Any locals know how?

Hey all! I don't want to derail the discussion but just wanted to comment on a murder trial in my area that is about to begin. The defense attorney wants to argue that another person did the crime. The judge is going to allow that defense, but the defense attorney will have to PROVE the person had both motive and opportunity before he can even mention it. IOW, the defense cannot just point the finger elsewhere in hope of raising reasonable doubt.

That's the way it should be in all courtrooms. For either side to be allowed to just say something happened with no basis for saying it is just ridiculous, IMO. Sure, the jury is supposed to ignore it or give it no weight or disregard it...but it's impossible for them to unhear it. And the fact that suggestions and finger-pointing are allowed in court without basis or proof is even more ridiculous when you consider that actual evidence is sometimes kept out! JMO.

Terrace 390...Ahhh...it's where CM showed us he's number 1.

Just wanted to let you all know that, in the process of responding to a legal question on the legal thread, I debunked the theory that the jury foreman, facing foreclosure, accepted a payoff. So please spread the news around to all those other sites where I'm not a member. ;)

............ :innocent: ..........LG hums a few bars of "How Dry I Am...and shakes head in despair....putting away the martini glasses...

Shotzy been lurking myself, forever, and just jumped on a few months back,can't do none of that either lol..... I also read that over at the Sentinel,a big BRAVO to that poster,they did it BRAVOOOOO. I think jose and his girl should call it a day,not going to make those millions,the way you and your girl are going,I see pan handling in your future,if that even.

Just wanted to let you all know that, in the process of responding to a legal question on the legal thread, I debunked the theory that the jury foreman, facing foreclosure, accepted a payoff. So please spread the news around to all those other sites where I'm not a member. ;)

AZ, did you by chance mean the very excellent post below?

-----------

Thank you AZlawyer! You have set my mind at ease. Even though it's extremely rare, if it did happen, could a case be reopened after an acquittal? Just curious.

Yes, if the jurors were actually paid off, the verdict could be vacated.

FYI, I just looked into the situation you mentioned.

The jury foreman bought the property in 2008 as tenants in common with the "lawyer on the deed" you mentioned, who was probably his girlfriend. She is a young lawyer and doesn't do criminal law BTW (and there are about 94,000 lawyers in Florida, so we certainly can't assume they all know each other).

The Complaint that began the foreclosure proceedings was filed April 25, 2011. The jury foreman and his girlfriend sold the house on April 27, 2011. Presumably the mortgage was paid off as part of that sale, because it was released by the bank for full payment on May 16, 2011.

ALL of these dates were before the jury was selected in Casey's case (May 21). Moreover, the sale of the property provides an obvious and totally innocent explanation for the payment of the mortgage.

ETA: The May 26/27 date people are throwing around online is the date that the bank finally got around to recording the release of its "lis pendens." It had already signed the mortgage release (May 16), recorded the mortgage release (May 23), and filed the release of lis pendens in court (May 24).

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein

Thank you Ynotdivein and Beach

Oh my. Watching JVM (which I haven't done since the end of the trial) for an update on the DP case, and turns out there was a brawl outside a bar in Orlando. She just said there's a OCA connection. Any locals know how?

I read the article about it yesterday.
Sounds like JVM wants you to come back after the commercials to find out that - - - - what- Baez is representing them?

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/two-orlando-officers-injured-altercation-nine-peop/nP6Gp/

One of the posters on Hal's page states that M Medina, Peter Golenbock (author) Juan Gonzalez and Ronald Manto were at the signing. I understand
Golenbock being there but how bad can it be that you have to take your employees with you? :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes