GUILTY Canada - Man, 49, dismembered, 17yo son charged, Winnipeg, June 2009

"The family wants minimal coverage on this"

What's THAT all about? Obviously that's how he got away with it for so long.
Jeez. I really want to hear more about this story.

He can't be tried because he's 17 and a juvenile????????? WTF!

If I'm reading correctly its just his name that can't be published. Or I hope so!

"The family wants minimal coverage on this"

What's THAT all about? Obviously that's how he got away with it for so long.
Jeez. I really want to hear more about this story.

He can't be tried because he's 17 and a juvenile????????? WTF!

I live in Winnipeg and I want to point out that the beheading/murder which occurred on the outskirts of Winnipeg on the west side on the Greyhound bus is in close proximity to where this murder occurred just within the City of Winnipeg's west side. The person who committed the murder on the bus is Vince Li, an adult, and he was found Not Criminally Responsible because of mental illness. This article states that the name of the accused, the 17-year-old juvenile, who is charged with 2nd degree murder, and the name of the victim (boy's father) cannot be published under The Youth Criminal Justice Act. At the teen's first court appearance on Friday, July 24, 2009 at the Manitoba Youth Centre Court was told a psychiatric assessment will likely be ordered to determine whether the accused suffers from a mental illness. Defense laywer Greg Hawrysh said his client has no history of mental illness and no prior contact with the justice system. For now the accused remains in custody without bail and his next court appearance is July 31. If the accused is found to be Not Criminally Responsible, like Vince Li, he will be sent to a medical facility not a jail.

Well, he better be glad he is not in the USA because his name would be out there!

I can understand that his mother would not want to comment about this and would want privacy, but thats it. After all, this 17 year old was not living with her at the time of the murder. However; she needs to understand that this was a horrific murder and the story will be told.

Justice for the Dad involves getting the truth out and that includes media coverage as well as a trial unless he pleads guilty.

I live in Winnipeg and I want to point out that the beheading/murder which occurred on the outskirts of Winnipeg on the west side on the Greyhound bus is in close proximity to where this murder occurred just within the City of Winnipeg's west side. The person who committed the murder on the bus is Vince Li, an adult, and he was found Not Criminally Responsible because of mental illness. This article states that the name of the accused, the 17-year-old juvenile, who is charged with 2nd degree murder, and the name of the victim (boy's father) cannot be published under The Youth Criminal Justice Act. At the teen's first court appearance on Friday, July 24, 2009 at the Manitoba Youth Centre Court was told a psychiatric assessment will likely be ordered to determine whether the accused suffers from a mental illness. Defense laywer Greg Hawrysh said his client has no history of mental illness and no prior contact with the justice system. For now the accused remains in custody without bail and his next court appearance is July 31. If the accused is found to be Not Criminally Responsible, like Vince Li, he will be sent to a medical facility not a jail.

Well, his own lawyer states that his client has no history of mental illness.

I also do not like it that this was a deliberate murder, he lived with the body for several days, dismembered it and discarded it like trash.

And, IMO, it should be first degree murder. Most often murderers are NOT crazy but just plain evil.

Here is the timeframe: June 25, 2009, son beats father to death in home where they reside together. Teen lives in home with corpse for a few days then he moves the corpse after beheading and dismembering it and placing it in several garbage bags. The teen drives more than 2 hours N of Wpg to dispose of the body, placing it in dense forest underneath several large rocks. Teen continues to live alone in the house for several more weeks. On Wednesday July 22nd the boy's mother calls Police to report a crime after receiving a call from her son a few days earlier asking her if he could come live with her and his siblings. In response to the Family Request for Privacy, the mother did not fail to report the crime earlier in order to minimize media coverage and hence she is not guilty of delaying to report the crime in order to protect her son.

Here is the timeframe: June 25, 2009, son beats father to death in home where they reside together. Teen lives in home with corpse for a few days then he moves the corpse after beheading and dismembering it and placing it in several garbage bags. The teen drives more than 2 hours N of Wpg to dispose of the body, placing it in dense forest underneath several large rocks. Teen continues to live alone in the house for several more weeks. On Wednesday July 22nd the boy's mother calls Police to report a crime after receiving a call from her son a few days earlier asking her if he could come live with her and his siblings. In response to the Family Request for Privacy, the mother did not fail to report the crime earlier in order to minimize media coverage and hence she is not guilty of delaying to report the crime in order to protect her son.

BBM

I have not seen the mother accused of failing to report the crime earlier in order to minimize media coverage. :confused: Where did that come from?

Although the accused has no history of mental illness, it cannot be ruled out since he could have a mental illness that has not yet been diagnosed and that is the purpose of the Court ordered psychiatric assessment.
I attempted to answer Willow's post who said "The family was minimal coverage on this." She goes on to say "Obviously that's how he got away with it for so long". I must have misunderstood her point.

Although the accused has no history of mental illness, it cannot be ruled out since he could have a mental illness that has not yet been diagnosed and that is the purpose of the Court ordered psychiatric assessment.
I attempted to answer Willow's post who said "The family was minimal coverage on this." She goes on to say "Obviously that's how he got away with it for so long". I must have misunderstood her point.

No, you understood it correctly. It was a month until the mother reported it to the authorities, right? And she wanted "minimal" media coverage, right?

I find that to be weird.

Drove by the house and the police were sitting in a cruiser car on the driveway, so we went by quickly.

From what I understand the mom reported it a few DAYS after son phoned her asking to come and live with her.

I can't find a name of the victim. I am wondering if I knew both parties distantly.

No, you understood it correctly. It was a month until the mother reported it to the authorities, right? And she wanted "minimal" media coverage, right?

I find that to be weird.

After the son transported the body to a remote location 2 hours N of Wpg, the teen allegedly returned to his father's home and continued living alone for several more weeks. It wasn't until July 20th that the accused called his mother to ask if he could come and live with her and his two other siblings. Two days later, on Wednesday, July 22nd, the mother called Winnipeg Police Services to report a crime. Based on the info contained in this report, the mother did not know anything about the murder until July 20th, nearly 1 month after the crime was committed. I think the mother likely did some investigative work on her own and then when she had good reason to believe a crime had been committed, she called WPS. Therefore the mother is not guilty of any wrongdoing and her request for privacy is with regards to media coverage since the story broke. Because the accused is a minor, the family legally has a right to privacy which is respectfully demonstrated in the media report. so IMO the mother's comment was unnecessary. Nontheless, my heart goes out to this mother and her two children during this time of sorrow.

Hello to all you Winnipeggers! I live in Seven Sisters Falls, approx 100 km west (and a little north) of Winnipeg. Nice to meet all of you.

As an American living in Canada, I must comment about the justice system here. It seems that (and please correct me if I am wrong) that the RCMP and Police don't have to give out all the details that the Police in the states do. There are definite privacy laws, especially since the boy is under 18. A lot of times we don't get to know all of the facts surrounding the case until the trial.

It seems to be understood in this case that the boy is "not right" and they are going to evaluate him before crucifying him in the press. Mike McIntyre, one of the crime reporters on the story, mikeoncrime.com, and maybe we can get him to log on and discuss this tory more. He has written on the Vince Li case, and has also written a book on the case in Brandon, Manitoba, where the man killed a woman and buried her body in a fresh grave. This is the one where the RCMP did an elaborate sting operation in which the guy admitted to the murder in order to be admitted into some sort of crime organization.

From September 2011:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/teen-gets-six-years-for-killing-dismembering-father

The boy, who was 17 at the time of the June 2009 attack and can’t be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in exchange for a promise from justice officials to not seek an adult penalty against him.

He was sentenced Monday to six years of custody and four years of community supervision...

Court heard how the teen attacked his 49-year-old father with a hammer and a knife following an argument inside their home. The boy, who has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, had suffered extensive physical and emotional abuse at the hands of the victim for many years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back