PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

I've never posted before, but I have been looking on this website for quite a while at different cases. I also spent countless hours looking at the doe network and charley project trying to match unidentified people. I will never forget this case either. I am a year older than Cherrie and live about an hour from Butler. I remember the case on the 6 o'clock news when this happened. I was always looking for a van with a skier on. It freaked me out being so young. I think this is why I have been so interested in finding missing people. I am glad to know I am glad to see that others have not forgotten abou this case and hopefully one day it will be solved!!!

I've never posted before, but I have been looking on this website for quite a while at different cases. I also spent countless hours looking at the doe network and charley project trying to match unidentified people. I will never forget this case either. I am a year older than Cherrie and live about an hour from Butler. I remember the case on the 6 o'clock news when this happened. I was always looking for a van with a skier on. It freaked me out being so young. I think this is why I have been so interested in finding missing people. I am glad to know I am glad to see that others have not forgotten abou this case and hopefully one day it will be solved!!!

Amazing. Seems like a van like that would be very hard to hide. They'd almost have to have had it repainted very quickly.

I kind of think they should ban vans -- seriously. Weapon of choice for child molesters/abductors/rapists, etc.

Derek

Thanks, D Jay, for sharing the article on Cherrie. Meggilyweggily posted the link to the other Websleuth thread on Cherrie above. That thread inspired me to look at the kidnapping location on Google maps and I saw the case in a new way. Maybe reading this new article posted by D Jay or my post will help someone else see something in the case differently. The best hopes of learning something about what happened to this beautiful little girl will be for someone to have a new thought or someone who knows something to talk. Either way, the more we discuss the case, the better the chances are. Here's my old post, with a bit of editing for clarity:

I got to thinking about that last point and went to Google Maps. I couldn't make a link work to what I found, but you can see it if you go to Google Maps and type Cornplanter and Winfield Road Cabot PA.

There is a short and direct access to the north to Rt 422, which connects directly to I-79 North to Erie or I-79 South to West Virginia. You can also continue and access the Pa and Ohio turnpikes. There is also a direct route south to Rt 28, which has an exit that is 2 miles away from the the Allegheny Valley exit on the PA turnpike (I-76) , from which point a van could go west or east. No EZ Pass or cameras to see the van in those days. You could also go east on 422 and through the mountains up into the Allegheny National Forest and into southern New York, where there are several ski areas. That would take about 3 hours but much of it is very rural and soon enough it would have been getting dark and people would be home and inside. Ski areas to the north, the east (Seven Springs) and the south.

Weirdly, this intersection is almost a perfect spot from which to kidnap a child; if you are pretty sure you can get an hour's jump, you can be in Ohio or the PA mountains or halfway to Erie before anyone starts to look. Even in the Amber alert era, chances are several hours would have passed before law enforcement was called and had a chance to interview the kids on the bus and learn about the van with the ski scene. By that time, the van could have been in New York, Ohio, West Virginia, or Maryland--and into ski country in all of those states accept Ohio. In fact, Canada would have been less than four hours away via Buffalo--422 to I 79 to Erie and then straight north to Buffalo.

You can best see what I mean if you put the little focus thingy halfway down in order to see the intersection in relation to other WPA road. I've lived here all my life and always thought of Cabot as so rural, and such a weird spot for a kidnapping. But I'm sure the state troopers that handled the case thought about this location long ago.

What a shame. This case sticks in my head not only because I'm from PA, but because of the classic "molester van" description of the vehicle following the bus.

Can't believe they couldn't find that or know who owned a van like that, but...A coat of paint could easily have been applied in the aftermath, or the van junked entirely.

As a former junk car hauler, I can tell you, you'd be amazed how easy it is to get rid of a vehicle. Title, no title, whatever...

The Charley Project Cherrie Ann Mahan

Cherrie Mahan

DOB: Aug 14, 1976
Missing: Feb 22, 1985
Age Now: 32
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 4'2" (127 cm)
Weight: 68 lbs (31 kg)
Missing From:
PITTSBURGH
PA
United States

ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)

Here are a couple articles I found from 2005...

What Happened to Cherrie Mahan?

A child vanishes into thin air. Not one piece of evidence as to her disappearance is ever found...More...

Trapped in Time

Shirley Mahan has one wish she would like granted before she dies: To know what happened to her granddaughter, Cherrie Mahan.

"If I just knew if she was dead or alive, it would help," said the 77-year-old grandmother who lives in Clinton Township.

Cherrie was 8 years old when she disappeared while walking home from her Winfield bus stop on Feb. 22, 1985. She was never found...More...

There is a Cherrie Mahan thread on the Cold Case board that includes links to a few articles. I also posted a suggestion to look at Google maps to see how easy it would be for a pervert to pull Cherrie into a van and be on an interstate highway that would lead to NY, WVa, Ohio, or Canada.

I'm glad people still think about this case. It was one of the first that I remember that likely involves someone following a school bus.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48095&highlight=Cherrie+Mahan

This reminds me of the case in Virginia where the two sisters were taken from their front yard after being dropped off by the school bus. They were found several days later in a local river. I cannot remember their names, but will look around. Either before or after these girls were taken, there was another girl taken from the same area, I think her name was Sophia Silva or something like that, and LE found that both cases were connected. I think that LE caught the killer of these crimes, I wonder if he was in the Pittsburgh area in the 1980's.

I found them, they are the Lisk sisters--Kristen and Kati. Their killer was Richard Marc Evonitz.

I remember this case as if it were yesterday. I was about the same age as Cherie when she disappeared. I remember seeing it on the news. I grew up about an hour away from Cabot, PA (were she lived) , but I was still scared. We had a man that lived a few blocks away from me that had a skier painted on his van, and it gave me the creeps...

I think her case is what got me interested in finding missing people.

I hope one day she can be found to give her family peace.... (it's almost like she vanished into thin air.)

Amazing. Seems like a van like that would be very hard to hide. They'd almost have to have had it repainted very quickly.

I kind of think they should ban vans -- seriously. Weapon of choice for child molesters/abductors/rapists, etc.

Derek

It reminds me of the truck that was spotted after Angie Hammond was abducted in Clinton, MO. It had a very obvious nature scene printed on it and I always thought - what a careless choice of vehicle to use, could you make yourself more obvious? But apparently it made no difference since they never found Angie or the truck.

I suspect in this case once Cherrie was in the van this person hit the interstate and took off quickly. You would think more people other than those in the town would remember seeing the van.

I am also close to Cabot. The mysterious van with skiers down a mountain slope
was never seen before or after. Many rumors had surfaced at the time.
One was the step father.
Another was she went home alone because parents were drinking at the local bar.
Cabot is very rural. No other child ever came up missing again in the area.
One of my employees brother also was on the school bus and dropped off after Cherrie. Her maternal grandma was the only one that I remember never gave up looking for her. Shorty after her disappearance mom and dad paved the driveway, sold the trailer and moved away. Mother never showed any signs of grief. Mother had her declared dead after about 10 years. All of the above is what I heard through locals at the time.
I have no links for this info, just wanted you to know what locals had said through that time. The Butler Eagle newspaper had story upon story for years, now it is definately a cold case. I wish we would of had better ways of searching for her back then. IMOO

p.s. Also the tiny boro would know who was a lurking stranger......everyone knew everyone.............IIRC, no 'strangers' were in the area that anyone could recall...........

Let me ask the obvious question: Was this guy who had the skier van checked out by LE? And which direction are you from Cabot? (I live in Pittsburgh, as you can see from my "name.")

I remember hearing about this case years ago. I can't believe she's still missing. My heart goes out to her family. I can't imagine what it's like to have to declare one of my loved one's dead. Hopefully, someday soon we will have answers.

This one is interesting to me, as I live in Pittsburgh which is quite close to Butler County.

Isn't it amazing how a child can get off a school bus and just vanish within yards of home? We've seen this time and time again.

It seems like the van would have been a great clue to follow, and I would imagine law enforcement looked long and hard for such a van.

I'll see what I can find out about the police investigation into the van, and perhaps see what other clues they looked into.

Thanks, Richard, for another intriguing case.

Good Evening,

I joined this site to relay the following information. I know the van - I saw it for many, many years. I reported this to the Pennsylvania State Police via phone and I never heard back from them - what a waste of time. I know the neighborhood where the van resided; if it were registered, it would be easy to find out whos it is.

From what little I have gathered, I can't tell from this site if anyone aggressively pursues these kinds of leads but I have contacted some agencies and I have not heard back from a one.

The van I saw was a late 70's early 80's light blue-grey Dodge or Chevy (possibly with a custom bubble window in the rear) painted with a skier in bright red with dark sunglesses (with something or other that obscured the face) in a mountain scene painted on the passenger side; I'm not sure about the driver side. I saw this van pass by my house every work day as I was waiting for the school bus while I atteded middle school (between1984-1987) - When I went to another school, I no longer waited for the bus and never noticed the van thereafter. I thought I saw the van in the area years later, but it had been primered and not painted. The van would travel westbound on Green Ave. Poydras, LA and turn right towards New Orleans as if going to work. Anyone doing a Google search of this area will notice the neighborhood to the east is not big at all.

I have found sketches of the van online and the similarities are almost dead on with the exception that the skier was further to the back and was not painted on the door - and I remember the van having a spare tire cover in the back.

I found out about the Cherie Mahan case by chance on CNN a few months ago.

I am very dissapointed that PSP never called me back so I am trying to relay this information to any interested party.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions,

Flying K

Welcome Flying K to websleuths!

How long ago did you contact PA State Police?

This case has always been close to my heart. She was the same age as me and she went missing from not far from where I live. I would see it on the news all of the time.

I would love to see this case solved.

This case has been like a fly in my eye for years.
I have gone so far as to contact the owner of the only website on net devoted to vans, creepy and cool (scaryvan.com) to see if he had ever received a picture of a similar van. He hadn't.

For all I know, he's here somewhere. I invited him.

chaddylex,

I contacted PSP the same day I saw the CNN article with the number listed therein; Sgt. Dave something or other took the information but I didn't feel he was particularly involved for whatever reason - perhaps the idea of the suspect vehicle being half a country away was a factor. This is too much of a coincidence - wheather the van in question was really involved or not, the desctiption is too eerie to be a coincidence. I wish there were a way to search for vehicle registrations online.

Also, this neighborhood was filled with questionable characters I remember from childhood - not that it weighs much on the facts, but the neighborhood was government houses with working poor for the most part.

Flying K

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back