"Reckless, irresponsible": Kansas teacher's "gay is same as murder" Facebook rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is absolutely bigoted, IMO, to view someone as a sinner, or less deserving of rights and privileges of citizenship because of who they love.

It isn't just a matter of disagreement when you are talking about discriminating against a class of people.

are you seriously trying to compare a call to violence with strong disapproval of gay marriage - is that really what you are hoping to do?

No. I'm trying to find where the line should be drawn between freedom of religion and hate speech, because it is definitely apparent to me that some people are using the first as a cover for the second.

You're trying to compare a Bible verse that says all sin is sin, there is no difference between that and a call to kill those that believe you should be killed for not believing the same way? REALLY?

No, that's not what I'm doing.

Why don't we compare apples and apples for a minute.
Should a Muslim be allowed to quote from the Koran "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both..." as a basis for disagreeing with gay marriage?

But wouldn't that be a waste of time here? We already know your answer to whether or not someone is allowed to use religion as an excuse for hatred of homosexuals. What I'm interested in finding out is whether or not you respect the same right being exercised in a different context.

For example, how would you feel if a liberal muslim public school teacher posted on his fb page that apostates from Islam are as bad as murderers? He's not saying they should be sentenced to death, or sentenced to anything - just that they are morally equivalent to a murderer.

Would you be happy with him teaching in a public school? Would you still be happy if you knew one of his students was a young muslim struggling with doubts about his or her faith?

Well there is always the bullying effect of calling people names like bigots when they disagree with you....that always leads to productive conversations

A bigot is a bigot. Hiding behind a 2,800 year old text you can't even read doesn't change matters.

Let's don't pretend the Bible doesn't require capital punishment for a wide variety of offenses. If the teacher's argument is that something must be so because it is written in the OT, doesn't he have to own the entire document?

How about if the teacher had posted on FB that all wives who weren't virgins on their wedding nights (see Deuteronomy) should be put to death? Would that be okay just because he "believes" it?

So you are now saying that the teacher the article is about - wrote his statement based on old testament writings only? I'm just trying to clarify your point before responding.

It is absolutely bigoted, IMO, to view someone as a sinner, or less deserving of rights and privileges of citizenship because of who they love.

It isn't just a matter of disagreement when you are talking about discriminating against a class of people.

It is exactly your opinion - and very offensive.
Why isn't it bigoted to be anti-group marriage?

Let's don't pretend the Bible doesn't require capital punishment for a wide variety of offenses. If the teacher's argument is that something must be so because it is written in the OT, doesn't he have to own the entire document?

How about if the teacher had posted on FB that all wives who weren't virgins on their wedding nights (see Deuteronomy) should be put to death? Would that be okay just because he "believes" it?

Nope beacause that would be a crime. Theres laws that say muder is wrong. But there is no law that says not being ok with people being gay is crime. The Bible says we have to follow the law of the land.

To Soulmagent:

Certainly lying and cheating are less severe; we don't usually punish them with death.

But the fact remains that ALL his comparison are to crimes against persons. Homosexuality is not such an offense. "One of these things is not like the others", as the children's books say.

Now either God is too stupid to make the distinction or some Christians are too stupid to read scripture with their critical faculties intact. Personally, I wouldn't want the latter teaching my grandchildren, but I realize that depending on district rules, there may be no recourse.

He wasnt talking about any crime ,he was talking about sin. The fact that those sins are crimes was irrelavent to his post. He was purely speaking on his belief system and sins.

A bigot is a bigot. Hiding behind a 2,800 year old text you can't even read doesn't change matters.

Do you know how to read Greek? Or do you rely that someone else has translated Plato's Greek to English?

It is exactly your opinion - and very offensive.
Why isn't it bigoted to be anti-group marriage?

Because there is no part of your constitution which outlaws discrimination on the grounds of number. There is a very clear part which outlaws discrimination on the grounds of gender. You cannot sue a prospective employer for not employing you and five other people together because you all applied for the job as a group. But you can indeed sue if you are not hired specifically on the grounds of your sex.

Btw, how many wives did Abraham have?

No. I'm trying to find where the line should be drawn between freedom of religion and hate speech, because it is definitely apparent to me that some people are using the first as a cover for the second.

No, that's not what I'm doing.

But wouldn't that be a waste of time here? We already know your answer to whether or not someone is allowed to use religion as an excuse for hatred of homosexuals. What I'm interested in finding out is whether or not you respect the same right being exercised in a different context.

For example, how would you feel if a liberal muslim public school teacher posted on his fb page that apostates from Islam are as bad as murderers? He's not saying they should be sentenced to death, or sentenced to anything - just that they are morally equivalent to a murderer.

Would you be happy with him teaching in a public school? Would you still be happy if you knew one of his students was a young muslim struggling with doubts about his or her faith?

It's not the same thing at all. You are asking if it's ok for someone to put out a call for violence and killing those who disagree with someone's religion versus someone saying they disagree with gay marriage because of their religion. You cannot compare the two - well I see you are trying to but the end result is very different.

Because there is no part of your constitution which outlaws discrimination on the grounds of number. There is a very clear part which outlaws discrimination on the grounds of gender. You cannot sue a prospective employer for not employing you and five other people together because you all applied for the job as a group. But you can indeed sue if you are not hired specifically on the grounds of your sex.

Btw, how many wives did Abraham have?

You tell me but tell me when you do if it was sanctioned by his God? and any consequences of it.

It's not the same thing at all. You are asking if it's ok for someone to put out a call for violence and killing those who disagree with someone's religion versus someone saying they disagree with gay marriage because of their religion. You cannot compare the two - well I see you are trying to but the end result is very different.

Nonsense. I'm asking you a very simple question - how would you feel if a muslim public school teacher made a fb post equating apostasy from Islam with murder? Not calling for death, or all that blah, just morally equating the two acts.

Would you be happy with him teaching in a public school? How would you feel if you knew one of his pupils was a young muslim who was privately wrestling with doubts about his/her faith?

You tell me but tell me when you do if it was sanctioned by his God? and any consequences of it.

I might get back to you about that in the abortion thread, after I've finished reading about what Abraham was ordered to do to Isaac.

Nonsense. I'm asking you a very simple question - how would you feel if a muslim public school teacher made a fb post equating apostasy from Islam with murder? Not calling for death, or all that blah, just morally equating the two acts.

Would you be happy with him teaching in a public school? How would you feel if you knew one of his pupils was a young muslim who was privately wrestling with doubts about his/her faith?

I've already answered you - they believe it and post it already it - why would it be a surprise to see it on fb?

I might get back to you about that in the abortion thread, after I've finished reading about what Abraham was ordered to do to Isaac.

make sure you read to the end of that story. It has a happy ending.

Do you know how to read Greek? Or do you rely that someone else has translated Plato's Greek to English?

I absolutely rely on translations. I often read a half-dozen or more and construct a chart so I can be clear as to how they differ.

But the difference is I don't vote based on texts I can't read and I don't deem people to be sinners on that basis either. I certainly don't equate them with murderers.

I've already answered you - they believe it and post it already it - why would it be a surprise to see it on fb?

But I'm not asking you if its a surprise. Nobody said it was a surprise to see someone posting views against gay marriage on the grounds that homosexuality is equivalent to murder either.

What I'm asking you is how you feel about someone who thinks apostasy from Islam is equivalent to murder being a public school teacher. How do you feel about such a person being in a position of authority vis a vis a young muslim who is struggling with doubts about their religion?

Nope beacause that would be a crime. Theres laws that say muder is wrong. But there is no law that says not being ok with people being gay is crime. The Bible says we have to follow the law of the land.

Once again, the issue is not thinking homosexuality is a sin, it's equating it with murder.

So you are now saying that the teacher the article is about - wrote his statement based on old testament writings only? I'm just trying to clarify your point before responding.

I think most Christians object to homosexuality based on the OT, the NT is very unclear and barely mentions the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane