Boy who slept in trash bin is student of the year

ember

~*~ Tree hugging dirt worshipper ~*~
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18825202/?GT1=9951

*from article:

DECATUR, Ala. — Eleven-year-old D.J. Graffree didn't realize he was a child.
For much of his life, he was a cocky kid who didn't need any adults to look after him or tell him what to do. He was always in and out of schools in his small town outside of Jackson, Miss. He spent a lot of times out on the streets.
At one point, he slept in a trash bin to stay warm.

Yet two weeks ago, D.J. was named Decatur City Schools' Elementary Student of the Year.
D.J.'s face was bewildered when the honor was announced at the school system's annual breakfast May 10. His cousin and guardian Patti Lewis' face was first joyful, then tearful.

*End snip- more at link above

I am so happy that the schools gave him this honor! This is exactly what it takes to keep him driving on. Kudos!

I love this story. He has worked hard to turn himself around. Thank God for the kind cousin who took him in even though he was a handful at first.

Kudos to D.J. and his cousin and her husband!

thanks ember, this is a great true life story. Sadly,I dont think it will get many comments or much real life attention. Most people prefer to use their past as an answer for why they can't rise to the occasion later, character wise. This kid is making a clear statement by his actions. His statement is that our past doesn't rule our future, we do. Most people are not comfortable taking that much responsibility in life.

Good for him though! And I agree with sewingdeb on kudos for his cousin for lending a hand of support!

What an honor. Congrats DJ!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18825202/?GT1=9951

*from article:

DECATUR, Ala. — Eleven-year-old D.J. Graffree didn't realize he was a child.
For much of his life, he was a cocky kid who didn't need any adults to look after him or tell him what to do. He was always in and out of schools in his small town outside of Jackson, Miss. He spent a lot of times out on the streets.
At one point, he slept in a trash bin to stay warm.

Yet two weeks ago, D.J. was named Decatur City Schools' Elementary Student of the Year.
D.J.'s face was bewildered when the honor was announced at the school system's annual breakfast May 10. His cousin and guardian Patti Lewis' face was first joyful, then tearful.

*End snip- more at link above

I am so happy that the schools gave him this honor! This is exactly what it takes to keep him driving on. Kudos!

I love good news stories! This is very inspirational. Congrats D.J.!

Stuff like this brings tears to my eyes..... Congrats to DJ! His cousin sounds like a wonderful lady!

aww this little boy just brought tears of joy to my eyes. God bless him and his wonderful cousin for having the courage and love in her heart to take this young man in.

Aww Good for him!! He should be so very proud of himself! G0d bless his Cousin for giving him this chance!

WOW!!!! D.J.'s Cousin probably never thought that she would literally change this little boys life. Simply amazing.

This article should be sent to Oprah. She is the type of person who would honor the cousin for taking this boy and his brother to raise. She also would honor this young man. He needs someone to step forward and give him a scholarship!!

This article should be sent to Oprah. She is the type of person who would honor the cousin for taking this boy and his brother to raise. She also would honor this young man. He needs someone to step forward and give him a scholarship!!

I agree!!!!

Way to go DJ and kudos to his sweet cousin who took him in. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back