Does Skyline school bear any responsibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skyline School Hours:
Office Hours: 8:00am to 4:30pm
8:35am Students may arrive at School
8:35 am Students may go to class
8:45 am School day begins
11:20 am End of morning Kindergarten Session
3:00 pm K-8th Grade Dismissal

Talent Show
Skyline’s annual student talent show is a lot of fun for all. This is an opportunity for our students to share their vast talents with the entire school. We have everything you can imagine and more.

Parent and Adult Volunteers
Here at Skyline School we not only have a large volunteer group but we also encourage it. From working with students in and outside the classroom, to assisting in the library, the tech lab, or as a member of a PTA focus panel/committee, volunteers greatly improve the quality of our students’ experiences. In meeting PPS District Policy, all volunteers must have a completed background check and wear a volunteer or visitor name badge at all times. We also ask that every volunteer sign a statement of commitment focusing us all on ensuring our students are respected and that any overheard/observed confidential settings are honored.

kyron+crayons.jpg

photo+kyson+school+desk.jpg

photo+kyson+desk+name.jpg

http://www.kgw.com/news/slideshows/Photos-Missing-boy-Kyron-Horman-95777234.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=9

From the Portland Public Schools website:

Message from PPS regarding Kyron Horman and Skyline community

kyron-hormanjpg-9c14804f284d0b9d_small.jpg
The staff and families of Portland Public Schools are unified in their hopes for Kyron Horman's safe return and in their support of the Skyline K-8 School community. Anyone with information regarding Kyron's disappearance June 4 should call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Tip Line at 503-261-2847. A school district counseling hotline is available for anyone needing advice or support at 503-916-3931.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/

I'd like to address the question that many have regarding security cameras in Oregon schools.

When my son was being bullied in middle school, I asked the district why they don't have cameras? The reason was a budget issue. Not long after that, there was a well-circulated incident of a child being bullied on a bus in an Oregon school and many districts added cameras. I'm not sure if ours did?

"Oregon faced a $3.8 billion biennium FY 2010-11 budget deficit." http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/Oregon_state_budget

The budget problem is greatly impacting our schools right now. They are even discussing going to 4 days instead of 5. I'm not trying to defend a possible lack in security, only trying to help those that live out of state to understand the monetary issues facing our state right now.

Here's how it seems to go in big districts with big urban schools and teeny rural schools. Security measures are usually implemented with the biggest schools first. Small, rural schools get everything last. This isn't just with security, its with everything. Security cameras at a school are usually something a district would decide on, not the school. They aren't as common as you would think.

Here's how it seems to go in big districts with big urban schools and teeny rural schools. Security measures are usually implemented with the biggest schools first. Small, rural schools get everything last. This isn't just with security, its with everything. Security cameras at a school are usually something a district would decide on, not the school. They aren't as common as you would think.

Portland school district may decide that on a school by school basis (well maybe not any more). They did with the auto-calls regarding absences.

I'm not so sure it would have prevented what happened to Kyron. If it's the person most seem to think it is, then they would have simply picked another time and place to do this. If it was an abduction by someone else, they would have found a way around any security in place.

I did a bit of research on this school and found it was built in 1939. The website below also says there is no basement which I find odd.
http://www.oregongeology.com/sub/projects/rvs/reports/Mult_sch158.pdf

IIRC there was a poster who said her husband attended this school and the basement had several rooms to it; therefore, I tend to believe it almost has to have a basement of some sort. It also looks as if the school has been added to, but I found no information about that.

I'm wondering since the school was built in 1939, if there is a bomb shelter under there. I know during the fifties we had "drills" in school and all headed down to the basement.
Does anything know about this basement and/or a (possibly closed off/forgotten) shelter? Also, what are the chances of a tunnel connecting to the church across the road?

I'm reaching, I know, but stranger things have happened and things are forgotten over time.

Do we have any aerial view pics of the school like these with all the doors marked?

I'm looking for the pics with the doors marked, but I don't think they were aerial like these.

Aerial views of the school:

School2.jpg

School3.jpg

School4.jpg

School1.jpg

Based on the janitor photo, I believe Kyron's classroom is on the second floor under the #1. There is an exit door directly at the bottom of the staircase in the photo, which leads to the soccer fields and is really not close to a parking lot. I believe this is the door that is unsecured, but not positive.

Found some with a compass on them. Copying in from here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5263202&postcount=553"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #4[/ame]

To reduce confusion about the direction each door of Skyline Elementary faces, see the four images below. NOTE THE COMPASS IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF EACH PHOTO.

The southern front entrance (southwest really):

entrance1.jpg

The western side entrance (northwest really):

entrance2.jpg

The northern back of the school (northeast):

entrance4.jpg

And the eastern side of the school, with the driveway (southeast):

entrance3.jpg

MESSAGE FROM PPS REGARDING KYRON HORMAN AND SKYLINE COMMUNITY

The staff and families of Portland Public Schools are unified in their hopes for Kyron Horman's safe return and in their support of the Skyline K-8 School community. Anyone with information regarding Kyron's disappearance June 4 should call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Tip Line at 503-261-2847. A school district counseling hotline is available for anyone needing advice or support at 503-916-3931.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/

I know I have posted this before but I would like to make a thread on it. I live in a town of about 600 people total. The School here is Pre-School - 12th Grade it is all ONE school and no it is not a catholic school or a private school it is a public school. This right here is the statistics of the school year of 2009-2010:

Total enrollment K-12 is 181 students. There were 23 students in the Class of 2009 and the senior class of 2010 had a total of 17 people in it.

For as long as I can remember and I graduated in 2003 this school has had a security system on it. You have to sign in to even get into the school, they have security cameras set up, and if student is missing the school nurse will call home and find out why the student didn't come to school that day.

I am frustrated beyond belief with Kyron's school. I really feel that if they had a security setting set up like any normal school would have they could have found Kyron by now or at least had a lot of info as to who he left the place with. Something needs to be done about this school. They need to be held accountable in someway for this. This is an outrage!

WillenFan - I agree with you to a point. I'm going to withhold my judgment until this all plays out. If TH took him - then no, the school should not be held accountable - but YES they should definitely take their security system/plan up 4 - 5 notches!!!!!

I'm willing to bet that this school will ahve security cameras by the time school starts in August.

I'm willing to bet that this school will ahve security cameras by the time school starts in August.

Im guessing they will have an officer there and teachers will check and recheck attendance throughout the day - Security will be tight. IMO

I honestly thought after all the school shootings etc. security at schools was beefed up. I know where I live it's air tight. You have to physically be buzzed in the school. The office staff can see you on video when you buzz. I also know that personal phone calls home to those not in school without prior notification occur. This is in elementary through high school around here. I am SHOCKED that a child can be absent at this school without a phone call home. It boggles my mind.

I know if the school had cameras, something would have been recorded. However, if the school had some kind of phone call policy in place, I wonder if it would have mattered.

Imagine this scenario (especially consider in my hypothetical scenario that the guardian involved is frequently at the school):

"Where did so and so go?"

'Bathroom?"

"So-and So's mom just popped in and she said they had an appointment this afternoon, they just left"

"Ok, I'll let the office know"

...and then the Office people would say "Well then, we obviously don't need to call their house regarding so-and so's absence, she was just here and physically told us"

I guess i think an additional security feature should be written documentation in regards to the date of the absence signed by a guardian and also the guardian picking up the child must sign the child out.

Special events is when security goes all to heck. I've seen people open cafeteria doors
( only opens to go out, you can't enter through it ) to let someone in so that they do not have to walk around.

I live in a small town too, and the system here is that the secretary will call you if your child is absent and you have not called it in.

Pretty simple and basic, and in place for many years.

I think we had better wait to blame the school for anything. If they had good reason to think Kyron was with his stepmother, why would they call his home? Even more so, if they were under the impression he had an appointment of some kind?

The parents/population may have enjoyed the idea of a less rigorous atmosphere, it may have suited their idea of their community. And if it turns out Kyron left with with a guardian or parent, they may still be able to hold onto that idea. But I am sure they will have cameras etc. in place, in any case.

For the last six years, I have worked at a rural elementary school with approximately 600 students in grades k-6. This year we finally received funding and had security cameras installed but only at the main entrances and exits of the building. It is required that you check in and out with the office but not everyone will do this. We have "those people" in all towns that believe that they are above the rules and will not be bothered with signing in or out of the school. "They" believe it's their child they can come and go as they please.

Also, if a child is absent no one calls to see why the child isn't there, it's usually up to the teacher to obtain a note from the child's parents as to why the child was absent. All schools are different depending upon state guidelines.

I'm just saying I can't imagaine the school being held accountable for his disappearance especially if he was counted absent on that day unless the school has him on video in the school on that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313