PLEASE READ!! Here Is Your Chance To Really Do Something. Billy's Law

Watch Kesse's & Smolinski's testify in DC 2morrow
The Smolinski's and Kesse's will be testifying in DC tomorrow. Their testimony will be in support of improving systems for locating the missing and more specifically to ask the subcommittee that's currently reviewing HR3695, The Help Find the Missing Act (Billy's Law) to recommend it pass into legislation.

The session is slated to begin at 10:15AM. You can tune into the session by going to this link http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/calendar.html and clicking on the "Watch Video Broadcast" bug!

A large push has been in play to get the subcommittee members who sit on this group to attend - they are not required even though you'd hope they'd make it a priority...

Please contact your federal congressman and ask that they co-sponsor this bill if improving systems for locating the missing and unidentified is important to you. If you do not have the name of your federal congressman, I can let you know who it is. I also have an excel spreadsheet with the names of all congressman and their direct phone numbers. BTW, there are 425+ US Federal congressman - we've managed to get close to 15 to commit to co-sponsoring. If the bill doesn't pass, it is not for lack of trying - it is for lack of momentum and public outreach assistance to say 'We have had it and we want human beings to take priority'. The process for getting a bill through legislation is long - someone asked if there's a deadline. There isn't...but shouldn't there be! Make the deadline today and get on the phone to your congressman. They are here to be our voice or so we're told.
Michelle

In order to better serve families of missing persons, The Help Find the Missing Act (Billy’s Law) was initiated by the mother of missing Billy Smolinski, Jan Smolinski. Billy’s Law was quickly and unanimously passed through the House of Representatives and is now in the Senate. We need EVERYONE to move quickly to contact the 2 Senators of your home state and all of the Senators on the Senate Judiciary Committee to support and back this bill which will be of benefit to all families of missing persons.

What will Billy’s Law do? It will create incentives for all law enforcement agencies, medical examiners and coroners to be trained in how to properly process all missing persons cases, as well as enter the data into the NamUs system which was created by the Dept. of Justice.

The bill would authorize the sharing of information from the National Crime Information Center database to the NamUs database, therefore, increasing the number of case resolutions and potentially bringing answers to families of missing persons all across our country. Currently there are over 40,000 unidentified remains in our country and this database will aid in making matches to current missing persons, allowing families to know what happened to their loved one.

For the list of Senators on the Judiciary Committee, along with addresses, phone numbers, and information on Billy’s Law, gathered in one place, please go to Peace4 the Missing (peace4missing.ning.com) Many professional members, along with Jan Smolinski ,are there working diligently to keep us updated on the progress, providing information and sample letters, and letting everyone know what to do next to insure that Billy’s Law passes in the Senate and goes on to be signed by the President.

This is a letter that is very well done for you to use when writing to your Senators . Created by Becky Castillo

NOTE: Remember this is a sample letter, All the facts are here use some of it, part of it, and in some cases if you have to use it all. In the letter you will see (Insert your personal story ) make sure you do this, when you are finished have it be your own.

Also in the Senate this Bill is S3019 this must be used in your letter.

Senator

I am writing this letter in support of pending legislation, Billy’s Law
(S3019). According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, over 4,000
unidentified remains are discovered each year.

After one year, 1,000 of these bodies remain unidentified. With tens of
thousands of people reported missing each year, it is likely that a
family member, friend, or loved one is looking for that unidentified
person and simply can’t find them due to the absence of a cooperative
effort by law enforcement across the country.

Some law enforcement agencies have a
lackadaisical attitude when they receive a report for the “voluntarily
missing” and often there is very little effort to search for them. The
problem is when the case goes long term. If there is any follow-up at
all, often it is long after the initial report. Often those long term
cases have not been resolved because the missing person has died and
their remains lay unidentified in a county morgue or cemetery.

(Insert personal story)

The problem we face is there is no national protocol in play to assist
investigators to bridge the gap between missing persons and unidentified
persons cases.

The Help Find the Missing Act will bridge the gap.

The National Missing Persons and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) is
by far becoming one of the best ways for the public and law enforcement
agencies across the country to work together to help bring missing loved
ones home! Since its launch in June of last year, the database of
unidentified decedents and missing persons has proved essential in
solving 16 cases. With the passing of Billy’s Law, this number only
stands to grow. Unfortunately, without the funding of Billy’s Law not
all law enforcement agencies are able to allocate the resources
necessary to use the NamUs system.

The passing of Billy’s Law would make it possible for agencies across
the country to input information on their unidentified decedents,
increasing the number of case resolutions and potentially bringing
closure to families of missing persons all across our country.

I support this funding and hope that you do as well. I respectfully urge
you to pass S3019 when it comes before you.

Respectfully,

If WE don't act NOW, all will be lost. Time is running out and there will never be an opportunity to have another Help Find the Missing Act (Billy's Law)

PLEASE go to the link for Peace4 the Missing ("Command Central") and contact your Senators today! We only have until the end of July to get their support and Co-Sponsorship!

37631_1542919939498_1429959205_1447696_7614558_n.jpg

3 Simple Steps to Help Find the Missing - Billy's Law
http://peace4missing.ning.com/forum/topics/3-simple-steps-to-help-find

Thank you for bringing this back to the attention of WS.
Can we do the vote more than 1 time?

6 years since Billy went missing. Wishing for answers so his family can have him home, give him a proper burial and have justice served.

Please keep them in your prayers.

Watch news coverage of the vigil that was held to honor him as the family approaches this 6 year mark.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l..._Hartford.html

http://www.courant.com/videobeta/786...Smolinski-8-22

And please take a minute to help get Help Find the Missing (Billy's Law) passed through the senate -- click my sig link below.

I am all on your side! Unfortunately my vote can't count. I am not from America!!!!
I am sending you all positive energy I have......

It says "closed" when I go to the page - am I doing something wrong?

It says "closed" when I go to the page - am I doing something wrong?

Ahem... nevermind, note to self to read the date of the original post... 2009. Sorry.

Ahem... nevermind, note to self to read the date of the original post... 2009. Sorry.

NP, nikb. I'm sure people do this all the time. I do. I post a question and then realize the post I'm responding to is three years old. (or two or five).
Look on the positive side, you made the attempt because you cared.

I made a new post here

The Help Find the Missing Act aka Billy's Law

Why do we need Billy's Law?

I urge you to get involved. "Like" your state page, "Share" your state page. Contact your state's Republican US Senator. The contact information can be found on every state's page under NOTES. We need your help. The time is now.

The following was written by Maureen Reintjes. This was taken from the Template for letter for Republican US Senator Co-Sponsorship - Reintroduction of Billy's Law. The template can be found on every state's page under NOTES.

"There are over 110,000 missing in the US. There are anywhere from 40,000 to 60,000 unidentified remains around the US, yet there is no one mandatory repository where they are listed. There is only one national repository, NamUs.gov that even houses both the missing and the unidentified persons. But until this federal bill is reintroduced and passes it is not mandatory for law enforcement, medical examiners and coroners to report to NamUs, our National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. Billy's Law will strengthen what the families cried into existence and the government answered those tears by providing us with NamUs.Over 1/2 million family and friends of those missing are faced with finding their loved one in this current very broken and fragmented system. The way it currently stands if you have a loved one go missing it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. This legislation will greatly reduce the size of the haystack. Sadly their loved ones may have been found but until NamUs came into existence the chances were slim that you would ever know if your loved one's remains are in a medical examiner's office or interred in a pauper's grave. NamUs is bringing answers to families quicker than ever before. Families that have waited decades for their answer are getting them through NamUs. But until it is mandatory to report to NamUs the system remains broke and many families that should have answers are not getting them."

Please visit Peace for Missing and Unidentified Persons -Support and Resources for families of the missing. It is here you will always have the most up-to-date information as it is ground zero for Billy's Law.

Alabama:

Alaska:

Arizona:

Arkansas:

California:

Colorado:

Connecticut:

Florida:

Georgia:

Illinois:

Indiana:

Iowa:

Kansas:

Maryland:

Massachusetts:

Michigan:

Missouri:

Nebraska:

Nevada:

New Hampshire:

New York:

North Carolina:

Oklahoma:

Oregon:

Pennsylvania:

South Carolina:

Tennessee:

Texas:

Utah:

Virginia:

Washington:

West Virginia:
Wyoming:

I clicked on the "here" link and it says the petition is closed. What happens now? Were there enough signatures? It showed it still needed a lot. If it was not signed will another be proposed? I would be happy to share with my 400 facebook friends who would surely share with theirs. Please respond if there is anything I can do and thanks for sharing that informative link. I am all about fighting for a good cause, I just didn't know where to find them! Blessings and protection for those who cannot protect themselves or sadly don't know they deserve to be blessed~~Bring them home and eliminate predators in their tracks.

Try searching FB for the page. There's only one last I heard. State pages were shut down

So Billy's Law died in committee after three separate attempts with the 113th Congress? House passed it twice only to have it die because of the SENATE!

Can someone tell me exactly who stonewalled this bill?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back