NO BAIL! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 -#29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Doc,
thank you for your post.I can recall qps stating that the sim card was irrelevant but I dont recall hearing 'that they had tracked down the person who had bought the sim and discarded it'.Can you please verify this?
ty,
please post links

Sorry - the only link I can come up with is this one:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/police-say-they-have-open-mind-as-hunt-for-clues-over-allison-baden-clays-murder-intensifies/story-e6freoof-1226345241012

As I mentioned in my post, it is just a memory that is jiggling away in the brain, and I can't remember where I heard that bit. I can't recall if it was something I read, or if it was something I heard. But there was definitely something about just HOW they ruled it out of the case, and that it was an old pre-paid SIM belonging to somebody else.

The QPS did seem pretty definite that it was unrelated to the case, too, and quite quickly after it was found - only a couple of days as I recall.

Does anyone know if records are kept of pre-paid SIM buyers? Would the serial number on the card have led to that? Anyone on here who would know more than I do about that? I don't use pre-paid SIMs, so I don't know how it works when you go to buy one....

Gives me an uneasy feeling that they can discount a SIM so soon. I would have thought it would require a detailed investigation since it was at a crime scene. The only scenario is that the SIM was never used nor registered in which case the SIM does mean nothing. However, if the SIM were ever used this ties someone to that bridge. Even if the SIM is no longer in use, they should at least be looking at the phone of the person who the sim was registered to, given the potential to find tracking information and calls. I really hope the police are not being myopic because if the defense can show they were only investigating leads which match their theory that GBC did the deed, then this can severely devalue the circumstantial case IMO.

Just had a thought- what if the sim was never registered. It have been an old one that came in a box with a new phone or been a new top up sim - bought in error. Perhaps someone planned to put it into their phone that night but then realised it was the wrong size for the iPhone. The sim would be more relevant if it was never registered or used!! Shows another possible sign of pre-meditation.

Gives me an uneasy feeling that they can discount a SIM so soon. I would have thought it would require a detailed investigation since it was at a crime scene. The only scenario is that the SIM was never used nor registered in which case the SIM does mean nothing. However, if the SIM were ever used this ties someone to that bridge. Even if the SIM is no longer in use, they should at least be looking at the phone of the person who the sim was registered to, given the potential to find tracking information and calls. I really hope the police are not being myopic because if the defense can show they were only investigating leads which match their theory that GBC did the deed, then this can severely devalue the circumstantial case IMO.

Don't SIMs have id numbers? possibly something they could check out pretty quickly I would think. Also are the SIMs for iphones different to other mobile phones? In which case it may not have been a iphone SIM>

Yes,sim cards have to be bought with photo ID,saying that drug dealers etc seem to be able to have multiple,regardless of ID all can be traced if they come to the attention of the authorities

Does anyone know if records are kept of pre-paid SIM buyers? Would the serial number on the card have led to that? Anyone on here who would know more than I do about that? I don't use pre-paid SIMs, so I don't know how it works when you go to buy one....

This form (pdf warning) is supposed to be filled in by the retailer every time a sim card or a prepaid mobile device that comes with a sim card (including wireless internet USB stick) is sold. I don't know how high the compliance rate is. I'm aware of local retailers who don't seem to bother. I worked for a national chain and when an audit found our compliance rate was low there was a crackdown to make sure we did it every time.

Hi, just popping in to say my husband saw removalists at the house this afternoon. Sorry if someone has already posted this, haven't read much of the threads lately.
It would be a difficult thing for the family to do.

This form (pdf warning) is supposed to be filled in by the retailer every time a sim card or a prepaid mobile device that comes with a sim card (including wireless internet USB stick) is sold. I don't know how high the compliance rate is. I'm aware of local retailers who don't seem to bother. I worked for a national chain and when an audit found our compliance rate was low there was a crackdown to make sure we did it every time.

I would be very surprised if this is still the case as sim cards were and are still considered to be an integral part in organized crime,terrorism and a means to detonate bombs

I would be very surprised if this is still the case as sim cards were and are still considered to be an integral part in organized crime,terrorism and a means to detonate bombs

Sorry, I don't understand your post. This form requires retailers to check id and return the form to the AMTA so that even a sim that is never activated can be traced back to a purchaser and is part of the effort to provide a paper trail specifically for the purpose of policing terrorism. What bit don't you think is the case anymore? The bit about some retailers being lax in filling it in? I'm aware of several supermarkets locally that don't seem to have 100% compliance.

:bump:

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Sorry, I don't understand your post. This form requires retailers to check id and return the form to the AMTA so that even a sim that is never activated can be traced back to a purchaser and is part of the effort to provide a paper trail specifically for the purpose of policing terrorism. What bit don't you think is the case anymore? The bit about some retailers being lax in filling it in? I'm aware of several supermarkets locally that don't seem to have 100% compliance.

Only the detectives working on the case know the relevance of the sim card. Early on, for reasons only known to them, they said it was unrelated.

I have bought a few pre-paid sim/phones for my young daughter over the years and all were registered to me (drivers licence included in details).

Working on a new thread, will be closing this one in a few...

I have bought a few pre-paid sim/phones for my young daughter over the years and all were registered to me (drivers licence included in details).

Me too CC,I was sent one from Vodafone about 7 years ago as a part of a promo,it had 50 bucks free credit on it and didn't require ID..I was surprised
It may have required some sort of verification but it was able to be activated over the phone,no photo I'd

Me too CC,I was sent one from Vodafone about 7 years ago as a part of a promo,it had 50 bucks free credit on it and didn't require ID..I was surprised

If it was sent to your address, the SIM was registered to that address then.

Believe it or not..they were actually sent out as a part of a package ,show bag to guests at a fashion festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff