The ransom note & Patsy Ramsey, letter by letter.

Did Patsy write the ransom note?

• Yes, Patsy wrote the note

Votes: 289 91.2%
  • No, Patsy did not write the note

Votes: 28 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link to the entire letter and the analysis, Cynic. One of the things that the letter writer did that is especially irritating is mix up their personal pronouns. First it's "we", then "I", and on and on. I think the letter was written quickly and the writer was most likely in a panic.

BOESP-thank you for the explanation about the phrases. WV is an area where a southern dialect is spoken; however, I am now learning that Patsy lived in quite a few different parts of the US (GA, MI, CO). I think you're right that her speech was affected, and she probably picked up idiomatic expressions and pronunciations from each of the places she in which she lived, which probably explains the "hither and yon" phrase.

One of the things that jumped out at me when I read the letter was the mention of how the "kidnappers" supposedly respect John's business. Another business mention in a letter from that home-ugh. If Patsy wrote that letter, then this is another example of how she wanted to have that identity associated with her-the wife of a successful businessperson.

I think you're correct in saying it was written in a panic. As to quickly, well, it's sort of a relative term. There was a practice note, and the final version was 2.5 pages, handwritten. I'm not sure how quickly that could be done.

I think you're correct in saying it was written in a panic. As to quickly, well, it's sort of a relative term. There was a practice note, and the final version was 2.5 pages, handwritten. I'm not sure how quickly that could be done.

Depends on a few factors, Chrishope. How much time was spent thinking about what to say, how mindful the writer was about disguising their writing and how skillful they were at doing it, and so on.

Depends on a few factors, Chrishope. How much time was spent thinking about what to say, how mindful the writer was about disguising their writing and how skillful they were at doing it, and so on.

Yes, and the more of those factors involved, the slower the process.

Chrishope,
But not necessarily slower than average as Patsy was a literate graduate. She would understand what the requisite literary template might be, and would generate drafts until the copy looked fit for publication.

Authoring the ransom note was possibly the longest process, the rest could be undertaken in a matter of minutes.

The embarrassment of time in the death of JonBenet still exists!

UKGuy said:
Chrishope,
But not necessarily slower than average as Patsy was a literate graduate. She would understand what the requisite literary template might be, and would generate drafts until the copy looked fit for publication.

Authoring the ransom note was possibly the longest process, the rest could be undertaken in a matter of minutes.

Good points from both of you.

Thank you for the link to the entire letter and the analysis, Cynic. One of the things that the letter writer did that is especially irritating is mix up their personal pronouns. First it's "we", then "I", and on and on. I think the letter was written quickly and the writer was most likely in a panic.

BOESP-thank you for the explanation about the phrases. WV is an area where a southern dialect is spoken; however, I am now learning that Patsy lived in quite a few different parts of the US (GA, MI, CO). I think you're right that her speech was affected, and she probably picked up idiomatic expressions and pronunciations from each of the places she in which she lived, which probably explains the "hither and yon" phrase.

One of the things that jumped out at me when I read the letter was the mention of how the "kidnappers" supposedly respect John's business. Another business mention in a letter from that home-ugh. If Patsy wrote that letter, then this is another example of how she wanted to have that identity associated with her-the wife of a successful businessperson.

I'm glad to see you here, marie-chantal. I have a few things I'd like to ask you.

Chrishope,

Even if she was "perfect" the first time out (which we know she wasn't) the RN took at least 30 minutes to write. I think it's more likely that it took between 60-90 minutes to dream up and compose.

That leaves 3 or so hours for EVERYTHING -- the denial, the shock, the horror, the trauma, the grieving. And that's before the staging can even begin. I maintain that this felt very rushed to the Rs, which accounts for the bizarre, over-the-top elements.

Even if she was "perfect" the first time out (which we know she wasn't) the RN took at least 30 minutes to write. I think it's more likely that it took between 60-90 minutes to dream up and compose.

That leaves 3 or so hours for EVERYTHING -- the denial, the shock, the horror, the trauma, the grieving. And that's before the staging can even begin. I maintain that this felt very rushed to the Rs, which accounts for the bizarre, over-the-top elements.

I agree it probably took 30 to 45 minutes to write (and re-write) the ransom "letter." But we also have to take into account how much time was spent coming up with the idea of a ramson letter to accompany a fake kidnapping.

I would suppose both parents took time to form a cover-up plan they could be confident would fool officials or at least confuse the issue.

As a writer, I point this out that it really doesn't take long to compose a piece but it can take some time to come up with a workable plan they would both agree upon if both Patsy and John were involved in the cover up. And IMHO, both were deeply involved in whatever took place that night.

jmo

Chrishope,

I still disagree. Not that there wasn't ample time, but that time mattered. These people didn't know what they were doing.

As one example, you said PR would know what the literary template might be. But she failed to understand that you simply do not want a RN and a dead body both in the same house. The literary template should have been irrelevant.

Redressing was likewise irrelevant.

But if they did nothing, then they have no "evidence" of an intruder to blame this on.

I have always wondered if the original plan was to dump the body somewhere, but that plan was changed for some reason?

I still disagree. Not that there wasn't ample time, but that time mattered. These people didn't know what they were doing.

As one example, you said PR would know what the literary template might be. But she failed to understand that you simply do not want a RN and a dead body both in the same house. The literary template should have been irrelevant.

But if they did nothing, then they have no "evidence" of an intruder to blame this on.

I have always wondered if the original plan was to dump the body somewhere, but that plan was changed for some reason?

I agree. It was very necessary to have evidence of an intruder. How else to explain your dead child? You start by claiming she is "missing". How does a child go "missing" from their own home? Kids that age rarely run away in the middle of the night, alone. They go "really" missing if someone takes them...kidnapper, non-custodial parent, crazed babysitter, etc. They also go "missing" when they are really dead. And in most cases were a parent claims a child is "missing" when they are really dead and the child is still in their own home and a parent "finds" the body I can guarantee you the killer is someone who lives in the home.

Chrishope,
So you reckon they sat around, sipped a few glasses of wine whilst debating what their strategy should be?

This is why its described as a staged crime-scene.

Not if you are fabricating a crime-scene.

Quite possibly but dumping the body would simply focus suspicion immediately on the parents. They probably realized this and thought the abduction scenario might give them enough time to get out of town.

They knew JonBenet would always be found, that they would be prime suspects, so they required a strategy that minimized the need for the police to arrest them.

Chrishope,

So you reckon they sat around, sipped a few glasses of wine whilst debating what their strategy should be?

No, I imagine Chrishope believes they were in shock, confused, scared, conflicted, in denial, etc -- all a prelude to their panicked staging and agonized performance that morning.

No, I imagine Chrishope believes they were in shock, confused, scared, conflicted, in denial, etc -- all a prelude to their panicked staging and agonized performance that morning.

sandover,
Belief is not fact, I may believe the sun rotates around the earth, or that souls move from body to death, e.g human to dog.

So whatever you can imagine is is precisely that, a product of your imagination, the actual facts, might be a seperate matter.

sandover,
Belief is not fact, I may believe the sun rotates around the earth, or that souls move from body to death, e.g human to dog.

So whatever you can imagine is is precisely that, a product of your imagination, the actual facts, might be a seperate matter.

I base my theory on facts. The facts are, an accidental killing will inspire all these emotions in the parents of the dead child. Especially when, as with JR and PR, there is evidence of sexual abuse and emotional abuse they are worried about indicating their guilt.

I tried to go to a different site so I could get a more clearer view of the ransome note so I googled it and so I went to the one I had been on a very long time ago called , don't quote me on this but its candyrose I think. Anyway among lots of stuff they had I eas reading a post about the 911 call and i think were all on the same page about that its because your sapose to listen and at the end see if u hear a kids voice . Just so I know for sure the reason people talk about the 911 call is abut weather u can her a kids voice at the end...am I right about that is that the big deal about the 911 call ??
Assuming I am correct what is the opinion about what was said if u say yes u heard something at the end ??

I base my theory on facts. The facts are, an accidental killing will inspire all these emotions in the parents of the dead child. Especially when, as with JR and PR, there is evidence of sexual abuse and emotional abuse they are worried about indicating their guilt.

sandover,
The R's had an inordinate amount of time in which to construct a crime-scene. Which basically boils down to writing a note and placing JonBenet into the wine-cellar.

I will not insult the reader's intelligence by itemizing the time required to effect such a staging, other than to suggest it is not large.

I base my theory on facts.
Sure, and what is not fact is what resided in the minds of the R's on the night JonBenet died.

sandover,
The R's had an inordinate amount of time in which to construct a crime-scene. Which basically boils down to writing a note and placing JonBenet into the wine-cellar.

I will not insult the reader's intelligence by itemizing the time required to effect such a staging, other than to suggest it is not large.

Sure, and what is not fact is what resided in the minds of the R's on the night JonBenet died.

I'll drop the issue with you, UK Guy :) I respect your thoughts but we just have different ideas about how much time the Ramseys truly had. You think they had a lot and I think they had a little. Time is subjective and either one of us could be right, depending on the mindset of the Ramseys that night.

I'll drop the issue with you, UK Guy :) I respect your thoughts but we just have different ideas about how much time the Ramseys truly had. You think they had a lot and I think they had a little. Time is subjective and either one of us could be right, depending on the mindset of the Ramseys that night.

sandover,
Time is subjective and either one of us could be right, depending on the mindset of the Ramseys that night.
Sure but even if you factor in a particular mindset the R's still had a large amount of time available, relative to the staging operations required.

This time gap could be explained away by inactivity brought on by panic etc. But because we have an organized crime-scene, where the staging has been thought through, does this not suggest a particular mindset?

Or did the R's swing from panic to aha we have a plan?

This was a disorganized crime.

Staging is a separate issue and can be effected whether the crime is organized or disorganized. IIRC, this scene showed staging-within-staging.

The disorganization is one of the major factors suggesting it was unplanned and not carried out by a home invasion or an intruder.

I tried to go to a different site so I could get a more clearer view of the ransome note so I googled it and so I went to the one I had been on a very long time ago called , don't quote me on this but its candyrose I think. Anyway among lots of stuff they had I eas reading a post about the 911 call and i think were all on the same page about that its because your sapose to listen and at the end see if u hear a kids voice . Just so I know for sure the reason people talk about the 911 call is abut weather u can her a kids voice at the end...am I right about that is that the big deal about the 911 call ??
Assuming I am correct what is the opinion about what was said if u say yes u heard something at the end ??

There was more than one version of that 911 call. There was an "enhanced" version where the background noise was eliminated and the volume increased and in that version you can clearly hear a child's voice asking "What did you find?". Then you hear JR's voice say "We're not speaking to you" in a harsh voice. That version was supposedly played on the Geraldo Rivera show. Some of us have heard that version and the child's voice and some have not. As JB was supposed to be "kidnapped" (and in reality she was dead) at the time that 911 call was made, the child's voice can only belong to BR. As his parents have insisted that he was asleep until they woke him to go to the White's after the police arrived, his voice on that tape proves his parents are lying about his being asleep.
Later, BR said that he had been awake that morning all along and heard his parents rushing around the house and his mother's voice sounding very upset. He said that he pretended to be asleep when his parents looked in his room because he sensed they were upset about something.
At some point, JR admitted that BR was, in fact, awake that morning. But he said they "felt it was better" to say that he remained asleep so that he "wouldn't be bothered" by questions.

If YOUR kid was kidnapped and their sibling was in a room just down the hall, wouldn't you WANT them questioned to see if they saw or heard anything that might help police find your sister? Or help in the investigation? NO...only people with something to hide don't want to talk to police or have their family members talk to police. And none of them did...the silence of the family members, extended family included, speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member