LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it was written by one of the parents. I know, that thought is way out there, but when I first read the letter, it sounded to me like there was sooooo much emphasis on "not blaming the parents for his death". Why would someone do that and the reference to "being given all the advantages" and "psychiatric care"? Could it be one of the parents did him in, as they were frustrated with whatever behavior they were trying to "fix" for him, after years of giving him all the advantages and care they could? Particularly if it was some behavior that the parent(s) just could not tolerate and caused them to feel shamed or ridiculed by. Terrible thought, but I do wonder if any foul play was totally ruled out. I just find that note really odd.

I'm not sure about that; [IMHO] sometimes parents or close relatives can make a person feel extremely guilty about things (or also like the world is going to stop over a minor infraction), especially when people are teenagers.

Found another small article from June 1975 which mentions more than 300 parents of missing sons contacting the Sheriff's office with several coming to examine the body, however with no identification, he was buried in an unmarked grave.....

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=IPgLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RVgDAAAAIBAJ&dq=plaquemines%20suicide%201975&pg=6722%2C250276

Thanks for the link. I wonder who the missing sons were and if their cases were ever resolved. I would really like to have a better physical description of the guy, too.

I can't believe that I don't remember this incident. I would've been about the same age as the victim at the time. Even as a teenager, I read the newspaper everyday and kept up with the news. A local story like this would've made a big impression on me.

With a nationwide search, it's strange that his parents didn't identify him. Unless they did after he was buried. There's a large naval air station in Belle Chasse, so I wonder if he was part of a military family. Maybe they were stationed here at some point, but transferred, and the boy returned. Just a thought. Anyway, when I'm on vacation next week, I might go to the library and look up the original story on microfiche.

I just read this whole thread. This case is so sad. This boy must of been in so much pain. I believe he was probably gay and he thought suicide was his only way out. There seems to be so much of that going on these days. Such a waste.

This seems like a case that should be reopened due to the horrible rash of gay or troubled and bullied teen suicides these days. I'm sure it would get a lot of press and stir up new leads.

I have no idea what this young man looked like. Was a description ever given? Maybe I just missed it. It would make it so much easier to match him up to a missing person. Is it odd that none of the articles have a description? Or again maybe I just missed something.

I would love to know the description.

Has this young man be indentified? I am very interested in learning more about him.I do think he was gay and he felt the world would be better off without him.He would have made a wonderful teacher! The fact he had no shoes and they were never found,is strange!!
Does anyone know where I can read the whole note he left behind? TIA
This young man is not on NamUs!!

Does anyone have a contact in Louisiana that can check on this? I can't find any information except old news articles. If he was never identified, it would be good to get his info in Namus. We don't have any good characteristics on him either, so getting that information would help as well. Who knows....maybe this one has been solved.

There's something very odd here.
Did he have a bag with the bedsheet in ? or did he just walk about carrying a bed sheet ? somebody must have seen that surely. Also, the fact he didn't have shoes on, were they left in a taxi perhaps ? or did he hide them because they were handmade and traceable ?
Just a few rambling thoughts.

Does anyone have a contact in Louisiana that can check on this? I can't find any information except old news articles. If he was never identified, it would be good to get his info in Namus. We don't have any good characteristics on him either, so getting that information would help as well. Who knows....maybe this one has been solved.
I hope it has been solved although an article posted earlier stated he was buried in an unmarked grave in the Gretna county of Louisiana. I think it would likely be Westlawn Memorial Park, as the map shown here on Find a Grave shows it is close to Belle Chasse - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=69276

There are contact details there but I don't know if they would be able to confirm anything to non-family. I hope he was claimed. I often see this case pop up on page 1 and hope it's news that he was claimed.

I'm bumping this up because this is just one I can't forget.

I sent an e-mail to the Plaquemines LA police department today to see if they can provide info. When I tried to get info a couple of years ago, I was more or less told that no one cared about an old case like this one. Hopefully I'll reach someone more receptive!!

I'm bumping this up because this is just one I can't forget.

I sent an e-mail to the Plaquemines LA police department today to see if they can provide info. When I tried to get info a couple of years ago, I was more or less told that no one cared about an old case like this one. Hopefully I'll reach someone more receptive!!
Perhaps contacting LSU FACES Lab with Mary Manhein/Manheim would produce better results. They have taken over all unidentified bodies cases in the state of Louisiana as well as track missing LA persons. If Plaquemines Parish won't cooperate with you, I'm sure they would cooperate with Ms. Manhein. JMO

BTW, I just checked and they only list 5 unid's from Plaquemines Parish and the earliest is 1981, so they appear to not even be aware of the case. http://identifyla.lsu.edu/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23