Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday he will resign on February 28 because of his failing health, saying he no longer has the strength to carry out his duties.His statement was posted on the Vatican Radio website.

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry," the pontiff's statement said.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ict-xvi-to-resign-on-feb-28-vatican-says?lite

I started a thread on this too, but it's downstairs. Here is an article from his last birthday, which is interesting to read again now:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-xvi-john-paul

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI turned 85 on Monday (April 16) amid renewed speculation about his declining health and possible resignation.

Hmm I never got the same feeling towards him as I did with JP, he was a wonderful person imo had a very warm demeanour.

Hopefully the will appoint someone slightly younger?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Apparently it has been 600 years since the last Pope resigned.

I never "warmed up" to this pope for some reason. Pope John Paul had all the qualities of a good leader and even the young generation looked up to him. Just my perception and I could be totally off.

I'm hoping our next one will be younger and can address some of the issues dealing with our younger generation. I believe the Catholic faith needs restructuring. Not sure I'm using the right term but it needs to be more inviting to the young. They have done a lousy job in that area, imo.

My :twocents: as a Catholic

Not sure too many young men are looking at priesthood and that is another big problem the Catholics face.

Anyway, wishing the Pope a healthy retirement.

This caught me WAY off guard. God bless you Pope Benedict XVI, and may the Holy Spirit help guide the Cardinals to select the right successor for you, in Jesus' Holy Name, amen!

I never "warmed up" to this pope for some reason. Pope John Paul had all the qualities of a good leader and even the young generation looked up to him. Just my perception and I could be totally off.

I'm hoping our next one will be younger and can address some of the issues dealing with our younger generation. I believe the Catholic faith needs restructuring. Not sure I'm using the right term but it needs to be more inviting to the young. They have done a lousy job in that area, imo.

My :twocents: as a Catholic

Not sure too many young men are looking at priesthood and that is another big problem the Catholics face.

Anyway, wishing the Pope a healthy retirement.

Pope John Paul II was the youngest Pope ever put in office. I think that was the purpose - to lure the young people back to the faith. But, because he was so young he lasted much longer in office that anyone thought he would - too many policies and dictates did/could he make - so now I doubt they'll ever elect a "young" Pope again.

I think most never warmed to this pope because overall he has the personality of a scholar, which he has always been. Not all popes can and do have the personality of a JPII or John XXIII. While a lot of news has been focused during his papacy on his conservative nature, not a lot has been paid to what he has written on the environment, politics, immigration, and economics and labor (American Catholics who vote republican should take note, but surely haven't or won't).

From what I have read, I don't think that Benedict wanted the Papacy to begin with, so while it's a bit of a surprise, it certainly isn't a shock now that I think on it. I wish him a restful and healthy retirement.

That said, I am hoping that the next pope will be chosen from among the central or south American church.

That's MO for what it's worth, as an on-again, off-again Catholic lol.

Pope John Paul II was the youngest Pope ever put in office. I think that was the purpose - to lure the young people back to the faith. But, because he was so young he lasted much longer in office that anyone thought he would - too many policies and dictates did/could he make - so now I doubt they'll ever elect a "young" Pope again.

I'm not sure it was so much his age as it was his charisma, plus political interests in that he was from Poland.

I think Pope Benedict XVI did a good job filling some HUGE shoes.

It is odd that he would resign mid-Lent, rather than waiting until after Easter. That makes me think his health is rapidly declining. :(

You're right, Dark Knight. I know the Holy Week is particularly grueling for Popes - he must have wanted to avoid that, by resigning prior to it.

This is the Vatican press office's translation from Latin of his announcement made this morning during a meeting with Cardinals at the Vatican:

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/02/11/pope-resign

If "Peter the Roman" is elected next, as prophesied by Malachi, he will be the final pope in this world. Just something that crossed my mind today.

A conclave is called, and the cardinals remain in meeting until by vote a successor is chosen.

Am I the only one who thinks he may have resigned for other reasons? He has been called into question for the way he handled the sex scandal at times. Maybe something was going to come out?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back