PA PA - Katherine Jones, 29, Clearfield County, 27 Sept 1974

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Katherine Ann Jones
Missing since September 27, 1974 from Clearfield County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: March 12, 1945
Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"; 104 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes.
AKA: Kathy. Her maiden name is Golemboski.

Circumstances of Disappearance
On September 27, 1974, Katherine Jones disappeared allegedly with a man to whom she reportedly said she was engaged. She left her four children from a previous marriage with a friend for safe keeping while she was away. The children never heard from their mother again. According to Jones' family, she never mentioned leaving the area to get married.
At the time of the initial investigation, however, family members told police they had received a note believed to have been from Kathy, saying she had left her children with a family because she had left to get married. The note also stated that Kathy would return in October for her four children. Family members told police they did no know who Kathy had been dating or with whom she had left the area.
An acquaintance of Kathy's told law enforcement officers that Kathy came to her home September 27, but never mentioned leaving town. The woman noted that Kathy did appear happy that day. She said a man with dark hair and a mustache driving a red Volkswagen pulled up to her house. Kathy put clothes from her car into his and the two drove away. A previously interviewed acquaintance told police in August 1976 that she was the one who had sent the two telegrams to Kathy's family and to Kathy's friend in charge of the children. She said she had sent the telegrams because Kathy had asked her to.
Foul play is feared. She was not reported missing until Oct. 14, 1974.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Pennsylvania State Police
Troop C, Clearfield Station
814-857-3800
OR
Pennsylvania State Police
Bureau of Criminal Investigation Missing Persons Unit
717-783-5524

Agency Case Number:
C3-31584

NCIC Number: M-500951425
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Clearfield County CrimeStoppers

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/581dfpa.html

Wow, doesn't that physical description and the description of the vehicle resemble Bundy?

I thought that too at first, but Bundy was in Utah at the University of Utah Law School in the fall of '74...After his murder spree in Oregon and Washington.

There does seem to be something with psychos and VW bugs, though.

Bumping this case up. There has been no discussion on it for over a year now. There has been some recent interest in other Pennsylvania disappearances and murders from this era lately on other threads.

This case is similar, so I thought I'd add it here. Food for thought at least.

Flickinger, Nellie Florence Cornman
AKA Lindy Sue Henry; Nellie Henry; Sue Henry
Date: March 1979
Took off for CA with some Marine (pic available), not seen since.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2313dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/flickinger_nellie.html

Doe Network said:
Flickinger was last seen in Erie, Pennsylvania in about March 1979.
She had left previously and was located in Yuma, Arizona. She came back to Erie from there where she tried to raise her 5 children. She was only back for a short time when her "boyfriend" picked her up and she told her mother and children she would be back after she got her life together. She claimed she was going to California. She has not been heard from since.

This is definitely an interesting case. Just found out about it myself. Anyone have anything they'd like to share to bring me up to speed?

This case is similar, so I thought I'd add it here. Food for thought at least.

Flickinger, Nellie Florence Cornman
AKA Lindy Sue Henry; Nellie Henry; Sue Henry
Date: March 1979
Took off for CA with some Marine (pic available), not seen since.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2313dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/flickinger_nellie.html

Doenetwork thought they had a match for her at one point
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase409.html The doe was exhumed but dna did not match.
http://cbs13.com/local/jane.doe.colusa.2.803974.html

Crazy, the doe even had pins in her legs like Nellie.

Bump

This month marks 36 years that Katherine has been missing. Come home soon.

I wonder why Kathy asked her friend to send the telegrams in her name..... makes me wonder if she has not just disappeared purposely/ new start stuff. I wouldnt be surprised if she is still alive somewhere.

This case intrigues me. It seems the police or investigators just dropped the ball. I found this information on another site:
--------------------------------
When police officers recontacted Kathy's family in April 1975, the family said they had no new information. However, when police spoke with them again in May, family members said they received a Western Union telegram from New Jersey, although they did not detail its contents.

Kathy's friend, with whom she had left her children, told police she, too, had received a telegram from Kathy, but that she had thrown it away.

Cipollini said until that time, police thought Kathy Jones was a routine missing person case. "But when we found out months later that an alleged telegram arrived shortly after her disappearance, the case was no longer 'routine.'"

Police also talked with an acquaintance of Kathy's during the investigation. The woman told law enforcement officers that Kathy came to her home Sept. 27, but never mentioned leaving town. The woman noted that Kathy did appear happy that day. She said a man with dark hair and a Mustache driving a red Volkswagen pulled up to her house. Kathy put clothes from her car into his and the two drove away.

Sgt. Cipollini said officers interviewed numerous friends of Kathy's, including a former boy-friend. "We even used dogs from New York state to search for Kathy's body," the sergeant said. Those investigative methods turned up nothing.

The investigation intensified in August 1976 when previously interviewed acquaintance made a startling admission. She told police she had sent the two telegrams... one to Kathy's family, the other to Kathy's friend in charge of the children.

She said she had sent the telegrams because, "Kathy had asked me to," saying she would explain the reasons later.

"Things just don't add up," Cipollini said. "That's why I rally think she was murdered." Going one step further, Cipollini said he will now try for a grand jury investigation into Katherine Jones case.

Taken from: DuBois Courier Express 4/28/1989
---------------------------------------

I don't understand why the police did not get more information from the woman that claims she sent the telegrams!!! Why would they drop the ball? Where did that woman see her? Did she call the woman or tell her in person? Did that woman know about the man in the red VW? Why did her family seem so disinterested? They got wires but threw them out? They never called police about them? Why? What happened to her car??? It says she was at the friends and took her clothing out of the car and put it in this boyfriends car. So what happened to her car? why was it left at the friends? Was it left there? So many unanswered questions. How about the woman that said she sent a telegram but would tell them later why she did. Did she ever tell them? If not, why not? Why was she allowed not to tell them?? I know no one will ever see this because its so old but had to get it off my chest.

http://www.theprogressnews.com/default.asp?read=40118
Children of missing woman search for closure
Saturday, September 27, 2014
By Terry Whetstone Staff Writer Sept. 27, 1974, was a Friday morning and Smokerun resident Katherine Ann Jones had sent her four young children, ages 10, 9, 8 and 7, to school. When they came home from school later that day, no one was there to greet them.
Stories from 25 years ago quote Sgt. Edward Cipollini as saying, "Things just don't add up, that's why I think she was murdered."
Cipollini is no longer handling the case, which is now in the hands of Trooper William Mostyn, state police at Clearfield. He said Jones reportedly got into a red Volkswagen with a man who had dark hair and a mustache. she took clothes from her vehicle and put them in his and they drove off and she was never seen again. Mostyn said police were told an acquaintance contacted the family from New Jersey, via Western Union, and said she (the mother) would be home for her children; however, he said the investigation into that proved it was not true.
"I really can't give you much more information because it's an ongoing investigation," Mostyn said.
He said the case would remain open until it's solved.
"We never close the cases," he said
The Pennsylvania Missing Persons website states foul play is suspected.

More information about Katherine's children and their ongoing search at link.
Katherine has been missing for 40 years today.
photo: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/KJones.jpg
KJones.jpg

The area where Kathy went missing is heavily wooded and at the time of her disappearance there were many mine shafts in the surrounding region. I had a conversation with one of the investigators years ago and they think that she was buried on the property where she went missing or was deposited in one of these mine shafts.

I completely agree with you. Where's the car? Why leave her car there....Why didn't the boyfriend pick her up at her (Kathy's) home. Why would Kathy ask this friend to send telegrams to the people caring for her kids when she didn't know who would be caring for them? The children arrived home after school to an empty house. The eldest son phoned someone that they stayed with for the 2 weeks before she was reported missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back