Got Milk???

heavenlydaze

Music keeps me sane!!!
Reaction score
Website
www.heavenlydaze.net
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — A woman who doesn't want her breast milk to go to waste has taken out a newspaper ad in hopes of selling it.

Martha Heller, 22, took out an ad in The Gazette newspaper offering 100 ounces of her breast milk for $200 or the best offer.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/5273387.html

Hate to see it go to waste, but there's NO WAY I'd ever take out an ad!

Wow, that's industrious!

When my oldest was in the NICU, I donated some of my breast milk to the milk bank. As I recall, at the time they were charging $2/oz, none of which went to the "cows" like me, it was just processing fees, etc. And, some insurances would cover it, too. Part of what the milk bank did was to screen all the donors first (for drugs and diseases) and they also pasteurized the milk. I'm sure that some moms would go out of their way to get unpasteurized milk like this woman is offering, but it seems you'd want some assurance that the mom was healthy and not on drugs! I imagine the milk bank charges more these days...

I was glad I was able to donate! The NICU nurses used to joke that, because there were so many babies in the NICU on donated milk, that I was feeding them all. It was fun and it made me feel useful at a time when there wasn't much I could really do for my own baby yet. (She was born 16 weeks early and spent nearly 4 months in the hospital before we could bring her home.) I had plenty of milk for her, since she didn't need much for a long time, and I had nowhere to store that much, and so many babies needed it, so it was win/win :)

they don't allow mothers to do that where i am from.they don't let you donate and don't let you recieve it either!

You know there's some freak out there lapping this up and hoping to buy some!

I hope parents are very leery about buying it. Hepatitis or Aids along with many other diseases could be in that milk.

Milk banks are great and they are pretty safe but they are only as good as the time frame it takes your body to develop antibodies. Thankfully they are available for preemies out there and others.

My aunt donated to milk banks too after her kids. It grossed out my hubby and I teased him how he isnt any different than sucking on a cows boob, yeah it kind of disgusted him to think of it that way :D

Wow, according to this link this practice is a virtual cash cow. No pun intended. Besides the risk of spreading disease there's also the risk of alcohol or prescribed or illegal drugs being spread. Don't quote me, but somewhere I read Susan Sommers and Eddie Van Halen used human breast milk to battle their cancers the non-conventional way. Good article here.http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...MNGLKI6FTA1.DTL&hw=Breast+milk&sn=001&sc=1000

A bit off topic but similar is the fertility drug Pergonal is made from sterile nun urine. At least it was when I was getting the shots years back. Before taking the first shot I inquired to a tech about it and she laughed at me. She went and consulted the Doctor who told her indeed that is where it came from. However it is frozen so the risk of HIV/HEP C transmission was nill. Still it felt weird knowing I was getting shot up with nun urine. A cloistered Order though so ya know that helped. Pffffftttt!!!!!!!!!

Nun pee, that cracks me up!

Isn't premarin made from horse pee?

You know there's some freak out there lapping this up and hoping to buy some!

My, but you have a way with words, Taximom!

Thanks for an image that will haunt me the rest of the day... :sick:

(ETA: it's not breast milk that bothers me; it's the thought of somebody getting off on it.)

Nun pee, that cracks me up!
</p>That's what the tech walked out of the room saying "HAHA, Nun Pee". I felt much better knowing it was a cloister order for real. It was funny!

(ETA: it's not breast milk that bothers me; it's the thought of somebody getting off on it.)

For a real visual treat, check out the recently released Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen - it features a lactating hooker...with a heart of gold, of course!;) Very very fun movie.

Now I thought this was going to cover Adults using breast milk to cure cancer.
http://www.womanthouartgod.com/mothersmilk01.php

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Howard Cohen, a Palo Alto software consultant with a doctorate in theoretical physics, says he can live with the lack of medical evidence. Indeed, he's his own research study. Cohen believes that the twice-weekly smoothies he makes with breast milk and fruit have helped put his prostate cancer into remission and allowed him to avoid more invasive treatment, such as surgery.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]``You give this stuff to newborn babies,'' Cohen said. ``It can't be toxic.''[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]After Cohen was diagnosed in 1999, his wife found an article about the Swedish research on breast milk and cancer cells. A friend who was lactating donated some milk, and Cohen soon found that his levels of prostate-specific antigen, a warning sign of cancerous cells, dropped back to normal. His doctor, a UC-San Francisco urologist, was skeptical but open to Cohen's self-treatment as long as his blood work looked fine. Cohen undergoes blood tests and other screenings religiously, and in the past 2 1/2 years, there have been no signs of cancer, he said. It's possible, of course, that without the breast milk, Cohen's prostate cancer might have grown so slowly that his health would not be compromised; that happens in many cases.[/FONT]

More at link

For a real visual treat, check out the recently released Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen - it features a lactating hooker...with a heart of gold, of course!;) Very very fun movie.

Oh now you know I have to see that movie now. Sounds interesting. Hopefully the hooker ain't shooting up though.

:D Sorry, couldn't resist. Usually I'm better-behaved.

The sitcom Roseanne had a great episode that dealt with the main character's sister (Laurie Metcalf) and her uncontrollable lactation at her wedding. Best argument I ever heard for getting married before your child is born.

When my 24 yo was about 8 weeks old, my dh and i had been given a free trip to the Bahamas.I did not want to take a tiny baby with me, for fear of illness, so I left him with my brother.
Anyway, since I couldn't nurse, I would become engorged and would pump out as much as possible. But that just doesn't empty you like a nursing baby. There was another woman on the cruise that brought her 3 week old along. She wanted to party but couldn't because she was nursing. I wanted to nurse and didn't really care about tying one on. So she let me nurse her baby. I was able to empty my milk and she was able to party.It was a win win for both of us.
I cannot even imagine letting anyone nurse my baby! At the time it seemed totally fine, but in retrospect what a crazy thing for this lady to do. We were in our 20's so maybe that was why we weren't worried. But she didn't know me from Adam. I knew my milk was fine but she didn't know anything about my history.
I wonder if she thinks back on that and goes what was I thinking?!

Oh now you know I have to see that movie now. Sounds interesting. Hopefully the hooker ain't shooting up though.

Nope - she's clean as a whistle!

The movie is uber-violent, but in that over-the-top cartoon-like way, and very very funny. Sometimes it's fun for a pinko-commie-make-love-not-war-type like myself to get to experience the thrill of crazy gunplay!

The sitcom Roseanne had a great episode that dealt with the main character's sister (Laurie Metcalf) and her uncontrollable lactation at her wedding. Best argument I ever heard for getting married before your child is born.

I loved Roseanne, but never saw that one. Personally, I never had that issue - I had to beg my breasts to produce the good stuff.

I loved Roseanne, but never saw that one. Personally, I never had that issue - I had to beg my breasts to produce the good stuff.

I don't know how the episode would hold up today. At the time, it was both outrageous and hysterical.

Your milk issue makes you sound like one of the women in my family. Are you sure you aren't my sister?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back